No golf again!

D

Deleted member 15344

Apparently the Govt have recognised that fishing is a form of exercise :eek: and that's the criteria for the exemption.
Only local, within your area and only once a day so no overnighter.
Nothing about going solo.
How can golf be left out if angling gets out of jail free..?
Could be a distance limit I guess..

That’s the issue potentially- how could club’s control the distance - don’t allow members over a certain distance to pick a tee time ? I didn’t read somewhere it’s 5 miles in Scotland ?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Angling... single person goes and sits in a field on their own... surely really low risk.

Golf. We know about the modifications done to be more covid-safe.

Authorities could (or have) ban both on grounds of wanting to reduce movement of people.

I have mixed feelings about this. I know golf is low risk, but I wonder about the benefits of golf being seen to be doing its bit!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
That’s the issue potentially- how could club’s control the distance - don’t allow members over a certain distance to pick a tee time ? I didn’t read somewhere it’s 5 miles in Scotland ?
That would be a way.
Wouldn't take much to check via postcodes.
Is there a definition of Local?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Five miles was a guide during first lockdown. Now, for exercise, we can travel within our Local Authority area, or up to five miles beyond the boundary.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
And if they followed the science they’d have more time to worry about those bigger things than dealing with the petitions, but you carry on trolling ?

So I'm trolling because I've said something you don't agree with ?

Apologies if I've hurt anyone's delicate feelings.

Visit site
Is it because it can be done as a single with no one around

Last time during lockdown 2 Fishing was allowed but golf wasnt

Garden centres is the only strange one - why are they allowed to stay open ?

I’ll be amazed if they give an exemption back to golf and tennis ( they appear to be linked )

You mentioned Garden Centres Liverpoolphil. In Lockdown 1, all that happened was that Supermarkets doubled their profits on garden items, as Garden Centres were forced to close.
It also meant that anyone wanting garden materials/products occupied space at a Supermarket, rather than thinning out the population by using an actual Garden Centre. It was especially apparent considering the weather at the time, (perfect for gardening), and a large proportion of the population interested in gardening being the elderly. Thus, it is absolutely right that they are allowed to open for Lockdown 3.
As for the closure of golf courses, words fail me. We are a nation of snowflakes aren't we? And if it is allowed in Scotland, then.......as I said, words fail me.
For my daily exercise, I shall occupy my time riding my motorcycle within the council boundary.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
That would be a way.

Certainly a club I know in Rutland wrote to all members without an LE15 (Rutland) postcode and advised that they could not use the facilities whilst Rutland was in a lower Tier than those surrounding that the members lived in.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
So I'm trolling because I've said something you don't agree with ?

Apologies if I've hurt anyone's delicate feelings.

No, you’re trolling because your stance, like Government’s defies all science and logic.

Provide some evidence that it’s the right decision and you never know, I might even agree with you. But the tone of your last paragraph says it won’t be happening anytime soon.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So you can drive flipping miles to an angling spot, waddle down a crowded tow path with all your gear, set up where anyone walking has to squeeze past you, and that is fine?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So you can drive flipping miles to an angling spot, waddle down a crowded tow path with all your gear, set up where anyone walking has to squeeze past you, and that is fine?
Well, you can't drive miles...have to keep it local ( whatever that means) but.....yeah(y)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Crowded tow-path?? :ROFLMAO: Never fished on one of those, they might exist, but pretty much the exception. I could drive 2 miles to the Wye and not see another soul..

You obviously don't live near me then. The canal towpath is like a motorway at the moment, walkers in columns, 5 yards apart. Even the footpath that goes in front of our 4th green was mobbed, so much so, that on Sunday last, we just missed the hole out, as there was never a gap big enough to play through.

Mandofred

Visit site
I used to run on tow-paths all the time when younger.....great places for a run. Used to be plenty of people using them, but I guess it would depend on where you live. I could definitely see lots of people going out for a walk on them at this time. Whoever is making the rules, isn't really thinking things through.....

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
That would be a way.
In England, no. The rules/guidance just keep saying "you should not travel outside your local area" or "stay local – meaning avoiding travelling outside of your village, town or the part of a city where you live".

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem with the government's response has been the inconsistency of the rules. This fishing thing is just the latest example of many.

The fact that you can't walk to a golf course you live next door to and play 3,6,9 holes on your own, but you can drive to a river / pond / lake and sit 6 feet from other anglers just defies logic. Particularly as fishing has opened due to it being a form of 'exercise'. If we don't keep score, can it be a general exercise, rather than a sport?

Have no issue with golf being closed if other activities which are equally likely (or more - playgrounds) are also closed. However, it feels a weird and specific targeting against a 'posh' sport on PR grounds, rather than anything backed up by scientific proof.