No golf again!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
All because people are getting items delivered to them ? In a safe manner as well. Every single one of the deliveries we have had not one single driver has come with 10 metres of us

That’s the whole problem, it’s not about you

Because you appear to think the driver picks it, loads it, maintains his own vehicle, supervises the warehouse, runs security, manages H&S, cleans the warehouse bogs, got himself to/from work & all the others involved in that parcel until he’s 10m from your front door.

Look my post wasn’t even that serious, just intended to nudge folks to think on it a little and instead its met with mock outrage. Just think a minute… If the current situation is deemed serious enough to warrant closure of a really safe activity like a golf course, should folks really be logging-on to get wholly non-essential items delivered involving a whole team of people? (who also all have to get to/from work)

From a covid perspective, online shopping is much safer than popping to the shops in person & the employer will have measures to try to keep his team safe (as every employer has... but doesn't make it covid safe because despite all these employer measures more than 50k a day are catching it & the more online orders the more risk which means more cases
(just as golf is much safer than football it seems it clearly isn't safe. So online shopping is much safer than in-store but you must see it clearly isn't safe)

This is why people won’t take a lockdown seriously. The fella can order as many nets as he wants, him and a thousand other golfers up & down the UK in a similar situation.
I'm not innocent, my own non-essential treat was ordering alcohol with my food delivery… still doesn’t mean it was brought to my door by a covid proof pixie though

Fewer orders means fewer contacts

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Because you appear to think the driver picks it, loads it, maintains his own vehicle, supervises the warehouse, runs security, manages H&S, cleans the warehouse bogs, got himself to/from work & all the others involved in that parcel until he’s 10m from your front door.

Look my post wasn’t even that serious, just intended to nudge folks to think on it a little and instead its met with mock outrage. Just think a minute… If the current situation is deemed serious enough to warrant closure of a really safe activity like a golf course, should folks really be logging-on to get wholly non-essential items delivered involving a whole team of people? (who also all have to get to/from work)

From a covid perspective, online shopping is much safer than popping to the shops in person & the employer will have measures to try to keep his team safe (as every employer has... but doesn't make it covid safe because despite all these employer measures more than 50k a day are catching it & the more online orders the more risk which means more cases
(just as golf is much safer than football it seems it clearly isn't safe. So online shopping is much safer than in-store but you must see it clearly isn't safe)

This is why people won’t take a lockdown seriously. The fella can order as many nets as he wants, him and a thousand other golfers up & down the UK in a similar situation.
I'm not innocent, my own non-essential treat was ordering alcohol with my food delivery… still doesn’t mean it was brought to my door by a covid proof pixie though

Essential has different meanings for different people. To my mind, being stuck indoors for a minimum of six weeks, anything that helps your mental well-being, even a simple practise net, is essential. (y) And fair play to the delivery drivers who have still worked every lockdown, as they have genuinely saved lives as well.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Essential has different meanings for different people. To my mind, being stuck indoors for a minimum of six weeks, anything that helps your mental well-being, even a simple practise net, is essential. (y) And fair play to the delivery drivers who have still worked every lockdown, as they have genuinely saved lives as well.

I think outside us golf mad lunatics you'll be hard pushed to find someone agreeing that a practice net is essential :sneaky:

It raises another point though, you're not "stuck indoors" unless you choose to be. You can all go out every single day, just as many did during previous golf lockdowns but you're right mental wellbeing is important
Its just staggering that despite the massive hole the UK is in that folks don't see any problem with playing golf or church or online shopping etc etc

Every activity needs to be curtailed

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think outside us golf mad lunatics you'll be hard pushed to find someone agreeing that a practice net is essential :sneaky:

It raises another point though, you're not "stuck indoors" unless you choose to be. You can all go out every single day, just as many did during previous golf lockdowns but you're right mental wellbeing is important
Its just staggering that despite the massive hole the UK is in that folks don't see any problem with playing golf or church or online shopping etc etc

Every activity needs to be curtailed
It doesn't have to be a practise net - it's whatever keeps you sane. Could be a set of drawing pencils, a bloody swingball, anything. If it stops you losing your marbles (putting it mildly) then it's essential. In my opinion.

Edit: On your other point, it is just frustrating as I highly doubt many if any have caught Covid on the golf course, given that it's outside and you don't make contact with people - however I totally understand that if you allow golf you have players of other sports moaning that theirs should be allowed, so it has to be all or nothing.

TigerBear

Visit site
Just look at the Scottish Golf website...

As we turn the corner on an extremely difficult 2020, starting 2021 with additional restrictions and further uncertainty is not how anyone wanted to begin the new year.

Following today’s announcement from the First Minister and with an understanding that our affiliated clubs will need to make some adjustments to their business operations, we wanted to provide all clubs with the information we have available to us at present.

As has been the case throughout the pandemic, we have worked alongside both sportscotland and The Scottish Government to demonstrate that golf is a sport that can be played outdoors with physical distancing and increased safety measures in place. We are pleased that this continues to be recognised and from 00.01 on Tuesday 5th January:
  • Golf courses can remain open for play with a maximum of two players from up to two households
  • Golfers must stay close to home, travel only for essential purposes and in line with the new legislation
We are continuing to seek further clarification on a number of the wider aspects for sport from our partners at sportscotland and Scottish Government and as soon as we have sufficient detail with which to work, our more detailed guidance will be updated. We currently envisage being in a position to provide a more in-depth update for all affiliated clubs within the next 24 hours.

Scottish Golf asks that all golf clubs and golfers adhere to the new guidance with the same spirit and integrity that has been shown throughout the last year to ensure we can all continue to benefit from playing golf through this new period of restrictions.

You can stay up to date on all the latest information on our dedicated COVID-19 page here.

Kind Regards,
Karin Sharp, Chief Operating Officer, Scottish Golf

Cheers Clive

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s not just about me it’s also about the delivery drivers staying safe whilst they carry out their job which they may deem essential to them

It’s the same process for essential items as it is for what you may deem non essential items - but it’s a process that’s been place for nearly 12 months and unless I have missed something it’s not something that has given rise to a large increase in Covid cases - if delivery’s couldn’t be done safely then they wouldn’t be doing it

Is there a list of what is deemed essential items - a golf net for someone might be deemed essential to their mental health well being whilst they are restricted?

Are people getting Covid due to more online shopping or is sticking to online helping reduce the risks - in the UK everything can’t just stop , the economy, mental health amongst others still have to keep ticking along

Surely the person who gets something that allows him to stay at home to keep up exercise is actually taking the lockdown seriously ? I have just ordered a new PS4 game which will help me and the family with a bit of exercise and fun for us to keep spirits up whilst we are locked down

The UK is a very miserable place weather wise right now , a lot of activities that kept people going have been stopped and now people are trying to find a way to replace those to get them through the next 6 hard weeks - if getting a net is part of that process then good , it’s better that than to have someone fall into depression. It’s not easy right now and not everyone has the luxury of sun drenched golden beaches to take their mind off it all

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

And the people that lose they're job or 25% of their income because people can't order anything? . The companies going bust because a golfer said we should all refrain from non essentials.

I'm sorry but your post is farcical. Everyone else can see that apart from you.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Stay safe guys, you need every break that's going (even if you don't think you do)
I hope you get out of lockdown soon

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
To be fair to Slab, I can see his view - bearing in mind he lives in a country, albeit small, which imposed the severest restrictions - and found they worked, and came out pretty much virus free. (Hopefully it's still that way?. Ok, so their tourist industry got wrecked, but the virus would have done that anyway).

Its obvious that the fewer human interactions the better - just a question of how few we can manage? Its a difficult balance but there's definitely an argument to be had, whereby its no good "person A" cutting down on their interactions, but then requiring persons B, C & D to increase their interactions in order to service A's online ordering /deliveries. Balance - its all a matter of balance.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its already up and running
GM and Westy have pushed it on twitter...
Waste of time.
I have openly stated my religion is golf and my place of worship is the golf course .. can’t see me being any worse than other religions and I am not that pious either .. your all welcome to join the congregation