Nigel Mansell - golfer

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
As I had nothing better to do yesterday (golf course closed and flying not advisable), I finally got round to reading a book I was given as a Christmas present, which was Nigel Mansell's new autobiography.

He is generally known as a racing driver, but he is also a pretty useful golfer, playing off scratch for many years and once playing in the Australian Open. He still plays off 3 in his 60's despite a catalogue of motor racing injuries that would have put most people in a wheelchair. These include a broken neck, several broken backs, a badly smashed foot and several severe concussions!

For many years he was the owner and developer of Woodbury Park Golf Club in Devon, which he eventually sold for £18 million. He also found time to be a Special Constable in the Police Force, to be a Formula One Steward, and to run a charity. He is also a good enough magician to be a member of the Magic Circle. A pretty amazing guy.

Last edited:

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
he was contemplating going to q school to get his card some years ago, he was a traffic cop on the isle of man when he lived there,i could never take to the guy always found him a bit strange.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mansell is obviously a very good golfer but it would be an act of utter vanity to imagine he could get a Tour card or survive on Tour. Scratch is a very long way from Tour standard. He played 3 Tour events in the late 80s and didn't come close to making the cut in any of them.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We played against Woodbury at their place many years ago (1990's) in a scratch team match. 36 holes, 4'somes am, singles pm. He won both his matches but never turned up for the evening meal until it was over, and he was wearing a shell suit. He looked like a Harry Enfield scouser with his 'tache.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
he was contemplating going to q school to get his card some years ago, he was a traffic cop on the isle of man when he lived there,i could never take to the guy always found him a bit strange.

Apparently he has been caught speeding on the public highways a few times himself. Can you imagine the scenario when the traffic cop says "Who do you think you are then sir, Nigel Mansell?"........!

Last edited:

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
As I had nothing better to do yesterday (golf course closed and flying not advisable), I finally got round to reading a book I was given as a Christmas present, which was Nigel Mansell's new autobiography.

He is generally known as a racing driver, but he is also a pretty useful golfer, playing off scratch for many years and once playing in the Australian Open. He still plays off 3 in his 60's despite a catalogue of motor racing injuries that would have put most people in a wheelchair. These include a broken neck, several broken backs, a badly smashed foot and several severe concussions!

For many years he was the owner and developer of Woodbury Park Golf Club in Devon, which he eventually sold for £18 million. He also found time to be a Special Constable in the Police Force, to be a Formula One Steward, and to run a charity. He is also a good enough magician to be a member of the Magic Circle. A pretty amazing guy.

He used to be a member at the club I play at and I played with him a few times when I was a junior, really nice guy but the handicap is massaged somewhat.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I saw him in the ProAm at Wentworth a few years back, he was off a very low number but his 2 sons were (I think) both off scratch. Good to watch on the day and he clearly loved playing with them

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If you read post #4 properly, the clue was there.
I have re-read that post and it only mentioned him going to q-school. Nothing about the Seniors. Why would he want to play on that tour anyway, because I don't think he needs the money now. What handicap do you need to go to the Seniors' q-school?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
See he only missed qualifying by 1 shot! BTW I have checked the requirements for playing in the Seniors q-school. For an amateur you need a handicap of 1 or less. I believe NM is currently off 3.

He missed the 1st cut by one stroke, there are a number of cuts before the ones left standing get a card.