NFL 2020

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Correct, at least the Cowboys have a nickname. Saw a post the other day that thought The Clapper was still coaching the Cowboys underneath the mask that people thought was Mike McCarthy.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Good to see the Chiefs get beaten by the Raiders.

Now hopefully Old Man Rivers has a shocker. One of my least favourite overrated players of all time. Want Miles Garrett to use him as a tackling bag...

Then the Seahawks keep the streak against the Vikings going.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What a performance from the raiders last night, let's hope it's not another false dawn and they can build on that result

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Only just catching up with Week 5 as the Bucs played Thursday night and I was more focused on the baseball without knowing any of the scores. Sorry Dak but you're a Cowboy so I hope you get well for next year and Jerry Jones spends the rest of the year creaking his surgically-altered face and pretending he knows what he is doing behind the scenes. The Raiders win was an "Any Given Sunday" success and the Niners looked truly terrible losing to Fitzmagic and the Fins.

But the covid positives are beginning to play havoc with the schedule with multiple changes being made to accommodate the Pats, Titans, Bills and Broncos right now. The NFL is planning for an emergency Week 18 to deal with any one-off games that need to be postponed and moving the playoffs back.

Captainron

Visit site
Only just catching up with Week 5 as the Bucs played Thursday night and I was more focused on the baseball without knowing any of the scores. Sorry Dak but you're a Cowboy so I hope you get well for next year and Jerry Jones spends the rest of the year creaking his surgically-altered face and pretending he knows what he is doing behind the scenes. The Raiders win was an "Any Given Sunday" success and the Niners looked truly terrible losing to Fitzmagic and the Fins.

But the covid positives are beginning to play havoc with the schedule with multiple changes being made to accommodate the Pats, Titans, Bills and Broncos right now. The NFL is planning for an emergency Week 18 to deal with any one-off games that need to be postponed and moving the playoffs back.

Don’t see how extending the season is a bad thing really. I’d have 2 bye weeks in the regular season to allow a bit more recovery time for players. Always seems such a long time between the Super Bowl and the draft. Having an 18/19 week season wouldn’t be such a bad thing in my eyes. Playoffs should stay as they were though and not have these extra wildcards.

Captainron

Visit site
Seahawks go 5 and 0 without a defense! Unbelievable how We can just outscore the opposition but it can’t last can it???

Also got lucky with Cook getting injured and the Vikings going away from the run game for a few possessions.

Getting some great defensive players should be a simple sell for Pete Carrol though “come to Seattle and you have a shot at a Super Bowl. Sign here please.....”

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Getting some great defensive players should be a simple sell for Pete Carrol though “come to Seattle and you have a shot at a Super Bowl. Sign here please.....”

Unfortunately NFL free agency does not work like that. Players want to get paid first, paid second, paid third, paid fourth etc ... the philosophy is "MEAT" - Maximise earnings all times.

The best example of that was the 2000 Baltimore Ravens, one of the best defenses in NFL history. GM Ozzie Newsome approached a player on that defense and asked him to restructure his contract so they could afford a defensive replacement they needed. He was told pretty much screw that, I've won a Super Bowl - now I want to get paid.

Captainron

Visit site
Unfortunately NFL free agency does not work like that. Players want to get paid first, paid second, paid third, paid fourth etc ... the philosophy is "MEAT" - Maximise earnings all times.

The best example of that was the 2000 Baltimore Ravens, one of the best defenses in NFL history. GM Ozzie Newsome approached a player on that defense and asked him to restructure his contract so they could afford a defensive replacement they needed. He was told pretty much screw that, I've won a Super Bowl - now I want to get paid.
But right now anyone who is in free agency next season who is good (not necessarily great) will improve the D. Would love a “no name defense” type scenario :ROFLMAO:. Saying that, we have maybe one or two young lads who might grow into decent players.

Luckily DK is only in the second year of his 4 year rookie contract so there’s a massive saving there for the next 2 years. Russell took a contract which would be mahoosove now so some saved there too.

There must be some wiggle room in the cap there surely

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Right now you are $4.5M below the cap which is about normal for teams at this stage. It gives you the flexibility to extend a player, pay a signing bonus and include some of it in the 2020 cap year.
You have $150M of contracts committed to 2021 including Wilson at $32M and three defenders over $13M. You have $28M in space on the expected cap which if revenues do come down based on the current world situation, could well be lower rather than higher.
Again this is about normal for a team (unlike the Saints who are screwed right now for 2021). So you do have some margin for free agency signings but you would probably have to lose 1-2 big salary players on the current roster to make it truly work. I do not have the in-depth knowledge of the Seattle roster to know who is over or under-paid.

Captainron

Visit site
Right now you are $4.5M below the cap which is about normal for teams at this stage. It gives you the flexibility to extend a player, pay a signing bonus and include some of it in the 2020 cap year.
You have $150M of contracts committed to 2021 including Wilson at $32M and three defenders over $13M. You have $28M in space on the expected cap which if revenues do come down based on the current world situation, could well be lower rather than higher.
Again this is about normal for a team (unlike the Saints who are screwed right now for 2021). So you do have some margin for free agency signings but you would probably have to lose 1-2 big salary players on the current roster to make it truly work. I do not have the in-depth knowledge of the Seattle roster to know who is over or under-paid.
Cheers for this. Really interesting.

So fingers crossed a player or two is looking for a “silverware shop window” to get that bigger contract down the line. Nothing like having a ring on your finger to get a bit of dollar.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
@Pathetic Shark will be made up with this absolute demolition of the Slackers so far. 28 points up with only 17 minutes left in the game.
Totally down to the Tampa Bay defense. The Bucs were 10-0 when Rodgers threw a terrible pick six and he then put another one up for grabs on the next drive. Brady did next to nothing but never had to. Rodgers was rattled thanks to the blitzes, the downfield coverage and that two of our linebackers were in his backfield more than he was. The highlight was when he got into a jawing match with one of our linemen and told him to bleep off very clearly on camera.