Clubs: 2020 vs 2008

sunshine

Visit site
Tour Edge area very well respected brand . Probably not seen that much here because they concentrate on the American market

Tour Edge consistently produces clubs that rank in the top 10 for each category. The Hot Launch series is a popular and cost-effective, high-quality lineup for new players. And, the Exotics CBX hybrids and fairway woods have been gamed by numerous winners on the Champions Tour throughout the 2018 calendar year.6 Dec 2018

I'm not knocking Tour Edge, but come on.... BAZOOKA???!! How can anyone take that names seriously :LOL:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
A lot of people took Big Bertha seriously. Big Bertha was the name for a weapon used in WWII

Likewise the imaginatively named follow up models "Great Big Bertha" and "Biggest Big Bertha".

md_g7u2j1fMY33.png

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
when i away from my home course, i am using a bag of "classic" clubs
PING G10 driver 2008, Callaway diablo 3-wood 2012, Callaway hybrids 2005, 2007, PING hybrid 2008, MacGregor Irons 4-P 2004, Titleist SW 2014 and Odyssey putter ca. 2010

apart from the fact that i usually need one iron more, compared with my newer set i use at home, there is no noticeable difference. if you get along nicely with your old set why change it. OK the name Bazooka might be a motive

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
when i away from my home course, i am using a bag of "classic" clubs
PING G10 driver 2008, Callaway diablo 3-wood 2012, Callaway hybrids 2005, 2007, PING hybrid 2008, MacGregor Irons 4-P 2004, Titleist SW 2014 and Odyssey putter ca. 2010

Apart from the fact that i usually need one iron more, compared with my newer set i use at home, there is no noticeable difference. if you get along nicely with your old set why change it. OK the name Bazooka might be a motive

I also have a bag of 'old' clubs I keep at home. I have the same Driver and 3 wood (which I sourced 2nd hand) but everything else is just older clubs I have upgraded from, including a set of Ram irons I bought second hand when I started playing and are probably 20 years old now.

Only club I'm missing is a match for my 60 degree that I use out of bunkers.

Shot some of my best rounds with that set, including my best ever score of 73. Which just goes to show that for most of us, new clubs will provide very little meaningful distance - assuming they are suited to your swing speed. It's about confidence and if you can convince yourself the clubs are fit for purpose, go and play with them and worry less.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Watched a couple of Rick Shiels videos this morning about cheap new starter sets, one was a Slazenger set for £70, one was £200 (which also might have been Slazenger as well) & the other was a Callaway set (from Costco for £500), which he said gave great value for money if you are starting out and these had significantly newer tech than a 12 year old set. Golf Bidder is another good place to look for 2nd hand stuff.
However, as many have said already, go out & enjoy your set for a bit to see if the bug gets you - it probably will!

Fabia999

Visit site
Watched a couple of Rick Shiels videos this morning about cheap new starter sets, one was a Slazenger set for £70, one was £200 (which also might have been Slazenger as well) & the other was a Callaway set (from Costco for £500), which he said gave great value for money if you are starting out and these had significantly newer tech than a 12 year old set. Golf Bidder is another good place to look for 2nd hand stuff.
However, as many have said already, go out & enjoy your set for a bit to see if the bug gets you - it probably will!
Golf bidder is great, and the conditions are usually a lot better than what they say so that’s good. But if you do a lot of searching you can usually find someone selling it cheaper. However, you get a nice 7 day return policy with golfbidder and there customer service has been superb when I needed them, which you don’t get get with a private seller

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Shot some of my best rounds with that set, including my best ever score of 73. Which just goes to show that for most of us, new clubs will provide very little meaningful distance - assuming they are suited to your swing speed. It's about confidence and if you can convince yourself the clubs are fit for purpose, go and play with them and worry less.

i used my "bench" bag yesterday at a medal yesterday at our Linsberg course* and scored 37 stableford points

*my club has 2 golf courses but they are 2 miles apart so i leave my "first" bag at the original (Föhrenwald) course

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
i used my "bench" bag yesterday at a medal yesterday at our Linsberg course* and scored 37 stableford points

*my club has 2 golf courses but they are 2 miles apart so i leave my "first" bag at the original (Föhrenwald) course

Yes - that's my intention. Leave my 'main' bag in the locker and 2nd bag at home. Our lockers are not in use at present, so have just been keeping the main bag in play.

I could do with a lob wedge and a better 2nd bag really. But will probably hold out till Christmas and the wife can get these for me from the kids.

sunshine

Visit site
Taylormade sold an awful lot of Rocketballz........

True, but TM quickly moved to less the preposterous RBZ in their branding.

Tour Edge releasing a product with the same name as a cream to treat verrucas isn't exactly great branding :LOL: