Newbie in the deep end

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi and welcome!

Lessons don't have to be a time constraint. Your local course where you would use the range will most likely offer lessons, they'll start from half an hour too. If time is valuable you can have a 30 min lesson, go home, then at your next chance on the range work on what you were taught last time.

This is how I am currently using my time at the range and lessons. Due to my work hours I can only really go at weekends, so I book my lessons 2 to 3 weeks apart. Like you I'm also a beginner and can vouch for how good lessons are for when you are starting out.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Welcome!

What about lessons at lunchtime, is that an option for you?

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi mate,

I have a young daughter, a little older than yours, what I found worked for me was finding a pro that works out of a floodlit range, I can nip out for a lesson after the little one has gone to bed without impacting family time or being harsh on the missus. Usually have my lessons about 8pm.

Thanks Stuey and KhalJimbo.

A local club offers a beginners course consisting of four 1-hour lessons for £40 which I'm considering for around May-time. I'll get some practice in at the range for the next few weekends and then get some time with a pro booked in. I have a day or two on the course booked in too.

I've automatically picked up a baseball grip and due to my large-long fingers will try an Interlocking grip at home tonight/next time at the range. I'll probably YouTube/print some guide pics whilst changing grip to make sure I'm doing it correctly. If it doesn't feel okay I can always go back to baseball grip.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whilst i absolutely advocate lessons, my advice to you would be to get out and play.

Hitting balls on the range is great, but learning to play the game on the course is invaluable.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. No short cuts I'm afraid and if I was you I'd work out a way to get some lessons. Get the basics right at the very beginning will give you a solid foundation on which to build a golf game.

MrBrightside

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If in the same position as the op (albeit no natural ability), avoid cooperate invites due to lack of confidence.

however I have gone the lesson route. For me a lesson is quicker then a range session and by far more productive in terms of giving you focus and things to work on.

in 4 months of practice i/we have built a great looking swing - I wince when looking back at the early vids!

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you're planning range time then surely you can get some lessons fitted in, no point practicing the wrong things and then having to undo them all later. You'd be better spend the time on a couple of lessons and then practicing what you've been shown. You'll be better off in the long run.

G

guest100718

get a lesson is the forum mantra but theres plenty of stuff out there to look and and teach yourself.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
get a lesson is the forum mantra but theres plenty of stuff out there to look and and teach yourself.

I agree but if you don't know what you are looking at or how to interpret the information it can cause more angst than it solves and as the OP is a man with limited time available why not utilise a good teaching pro and get shown the right way straight away. I do agree that there is a lot of very, very good stuff out there but for a newbie it can all be a bit intimidating and hard to work out what's relevsnt and what isn't

D

Deleted member 15344

Hi all,
I'm fairly new to golf and I'm after some fairly straight forward beginner's advice if possible, what couple of things to think about whilst starting off on my golfing journey.

I've played squash for 15 years at city and county level so handeye coordination and reflexes are great so hopefully there will be some transferable skills.

Some background, I'm 26 and keep being invited to work golf days and declining due to a lack of confidence, so I've decided to take the plunge and go for it. Sadly/luckily this has landed me with a work golf trip to Gleneagles in 4 months time. Practice needed!

I've got a good deal on some clearence Taylormade clubs and after some extensive reading bought a 4 and 5 Hybrid from the Cobra FlyXL range to supplement them.
A colleague mentioned it would be a good idea to drop the Taylormade 3 Hybrid for a Cobra FlyXL 3 Hybrid for consistency of hybrid club/swing etc. Thoughts anyone?

My clubs:
Driver - Taylormade Burner 10.5
3 Hybrid - Taylormade Burner 19
4 Hybrid - Cobra FlyXL 22
5 Hybrid - Cobra FlyXL 25
4-9 Irons - Taylormade Burner
PW SW Wedges - Taylormade Burner
Putter - Taylormade Rossa Monza Spider
Ball - Callaway CXR yellow

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

NB- a few lessons with a coach isn't an option at the moment unfortunately

Im self taught from watching players , reading magazines and watching vids etc - just get a feel for the game first without worrying about anything too intense and see how you go. Find what is comfortable and what you enjoy to give yourself confidence - mainly just go out and half a good time

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I see you mentioned one of your colleagues gave you some advice on clubs so I'm guessing they're a golfer. If you don't want to or don't have time for lessons you could always ask them for some pointers on the basics to get you started.

Hendo007

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would just get out there and hit the balls. No need for lessons at the moment. You can learn from you mates or from what you read and see online. Everything is out there and much easier to find whilst changing nappies !!

Once you have an understanding of the game you will know if you have some ability and enthusiasm for the game.

My plan was to get as low as I felt I could get myself and then invest in some lessons to further improve.

Having had 2 weans in the past 3 and a half years I know full well what time you no longer have !!! I used to nip out every other evening to either the range or a local parks and work on my game, since the weans I'm lucky to get out for the medals during the summer.

Each to their own I guess but whatever works for you and your situation.

No matter what, enjoy both the golf and the wean.