New to golf - format and lingo

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am about to pay my first set of green fees for a local course, after looking through the website, I am confused it may as well be french.

Firstly the play format - I am used to some simple formats eg points, stroke and match. After a bit of searching I found this.

Perhaps people can add their own bits to help us newbies understand the lingo without us asking what it means and feeling like a total plonker.

PS I know Bogie, Dduble Treble and all the remaining curse words. :D

Stableford.
The majority of the golf played by societies conforms to this format as it is not so punishing and should be quicker than medal play. For those who are not familiar with this type of play it will be useful to explain how the scoring works.
First of all, we should stress that the gross score for each hole must be recorded. It is this that the player signs for. In the event of a hole not being completed, a No-Return (NR) may be entered.

This is a stroke play competition, so no putts may be conceded as in match play.

From the gross scores recorded, the handicap allowance is applied in accordance with the stroke index of each hole and a net score per hole calculated. From this:-

A net bogey scores 1 point
A net par scores 2 points
A net birdie scores 3 points
A net eagle scores 4 points
Anything more than a net bogey scores ZERO points and you should pick up your ball at this point. The player scoring the most points over the course of the competition (usually 18 holes, sometimes 36 holes) is the winner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Medal
Every stroke taken during the round is counted and every hole must be completed. Your handicap is subtracted from your total number of strokes (Gross score) to give your net score. The lowest net score wins the competition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four Ball Better Ball
A team is made up of two players who play together. On each hole both players play their own ball (as in normal play) but only the best net score of the two on each hole counts for the team score. Normally the format is medal, in which case we usually use the full handicap allowance for each player. However, the format may be stableford with each player using 3/4 of their usual handicap.

NB The scoring can be a little tricky, so to ensure that any problems in the scoring can be easily resolved, it is best to make sure that the marker of the card puts down both players gross scores in the appropriate columns as well as the best net score (and, of course, both of his own teams scores in the marker's column).

Greensome Foursomes
As with normal fourballs both members of a team of two drive, but then only one ball is selected for subsequent play. That ball is then played alternately by the team members until holed out, the second shot being played by the player whose tee shot was discarded. The format for this competition is usually Medal. The handicap allowance is 7/16 the combined handicap of the two players.

Texas Scramble
The 'Texas Scramble' or 'Superball' is played in teams of three. Each member of a team drives. The best tee shot is selected and all three team members hit their second shots from that position. The player of the ball that has been selected always plays first. The other two place their ball within 6 inches, no nearer the hole. Play continues in this manner until a ball is holed. The score for the hole is the number of shots played by the team after one of the balls is holed out.

NOTE: If a ball that has been played is played again, before the other balls have been played, then this ball is now in play (i.e. do not tap in putts before the other players have played).

Normally a team will be allowed a handicap of one ninth of the combined handicap of the team members and the format of the competition is medal.

Matchplay
As its name suggests, this method of scoring is only used in matches e.g. the knockout competitions and the annual Captain vs Vice-Captain event. The Committee have decided that a stroke allowance for the course is given based on 3/4 of the difference between a player's handicap and the lowest handicap of the group playing the match. After that, the game is played by holes.

A hole is won by the side that holes its ball in fewer (net) strokes. A hole is halved if each side holes out in the same number of strokes. The reckoning of holes is kept by the terms: so many holes up or all square, and so many to play.
A side is dormie when it is as many holes up as there are remaining to be played.
The match is won by the side which is leading by a number of holes greater than the number of holes remaining to be played.

Pro-Am Teams
The team's should be (maximum of ) 3 (see note below)
- One player (the pro) must have a current handicap of 18 or less
- One player must have a current handicap of 19 or more
- One player must have a current handicap of 23 or more

(It is possible for a team to only have 2, but one must be a 'pro' and the 'am' can be either of the other two
.....It has been known for a team of two to win this event in the past!)

Each player's score is recorded, and the best stableford result for each hole counts towards the team's total.
It is a team event and so coaching/encouragement/advice is permitted (expected).

The Accumulator
A "fun event" Stableford where:

For holes 1 to 6: Only one of the three stableford scores will count - but, be aware that each player's score must count at least once!
For holes 7 to 12: Two of the three stableford scores count
For holes 13 to 18: All three stableford scores count
Expect some high scores!

Please feel free to add other Items, golf is a wonderful game. But as a beginner it can be daunting to start.

B

birdieman

As a beginner just concentrate on hitting the ball for now, never mind all that format stuff, you'll get the jist as you go along. As long as you can count you'll do just fine.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
you'll get the jist as you go along. As long as you can count you'll do just fine.

Not much point on me turning up and waiting on a tee time for a team event. I am just trying to create a thread for beginners. For you experianced players to help us out.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
you'll get the jist as you go along. As long as you can count you'll do just fine.

Not much point on me turning up and waiting on a tee time for a team event. I am just trying to create a thread for beginners. For you experianced players to help us out.

which is fine but ive never seen a sticky thread here and such a thread only works under those conditions. Perhaps the mods can do that and we can all chip in (sorry couldn't resist it) on mod generated threads about perennial topics. Could be very useful.