New shineys or not?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
After quite a successful year and a handicap now down to 10, I rather foolishly, had a wack the other evening at the range with the new Titleist MB blades and, oh, the good hits were just glorious! I spoke to one or two better golfers and the general consensus was that it's all well and good but these are really for the very low handicappers and I'd be kidding myself if I thought I could play with them. Looking at reviews on utube etc the same suggestion has been made about the handicap level that should use them. I currently play AP2 710's which have served me well for the last 3 years and I've been offered £300 for and HID has kindly offered to buy new clubs if I want for my upcoming birthday/ Christmas

Don't spare my feelings - what do you think?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Dont waste your money Chris.....get some mizzies instead! :D

I would personally stick with the AP1's.

Or

On balance, Going back to a thread that generated some good debate ( http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?60295-Perceived-forgiveness&highlight=perceived ) o the subject, may help with your thinking.

On a personal level. I have a set of Mizzy MP63's that were custom fitted earlier this year.

Yes, they are a better players iron.

Yes, they have small heads, a tin top line and very little offset

Yes, there are more forgiving clubs out there.

But also, yes, I hit them just fine ....... Even the long irons :D. You'll never flush every shot you hit with an iron, but if you flush them more often than not, accept the odd bad on and move on.

Titleist make some beautiul clubs, expecially the MB's, but, being a Mizuno fanboy, and if you're considering a move away from the AP1's I'd suggest looking at the MP69's.

Some real 'bargains' out there on these just now. Here's an example:

http://www.golfonline.co.uk/mizuno-...-p-8458.html?gclid=CNqMt4Gqw7oCFbLJtAodJ1EANg

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
once the shiney seed has been planted, it will gnaw away at you until you ultimately cave to the temptation...

i'd treat yourself, blades only become more difficult to hit at around 4-5 iron imo, at your handicap you should be able to play with bladed higher lofted clubs no problem, just depends on how often you'd tend to hit 4/5 irons round your course.

if necessary you could go for a combo set and just get the cb's in 4 or 5 iron or get 913 hybrids and adjust the loft to fit the gap..

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Go for it.

I've got blades (ish) and I hit some awful shots, but while you're not playing to put food on the table do what makes you happy. :thup:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I would personally stick with the AP1's.

Or

On balance, Going back to a thread that generated some good debate ( http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?60295-Perceived-forgiveness&highlight=perceived ) o the subject, may help with your thinking.

On a personal level. I have a set of Mizzy MP63's that were custom fitted earlier this year.

Yes, they are a better players iron.

Yes, they have small heads, a tin top line and very little offset

Yes, there are more forgiving clubs out there.

But also, yes, I hit them just fine ....... Even the long irons :D. You'll never flush every shot you hit with an iron, but if you flush them more often than not, accept the odd bad on and move on.

Titleist make some beautiul clubs, expecially the MB's, but, being a Mizuno fanboy, and if you're considering a move away from the AP1's I'd suggest looking at the MP69's.

Some real 'bargains' out there on these just now. Here's an example:

http://www.golfonline.co.uk/mizuno-...-p-8458.html?gclid=CNqMt4Gqw7oCFbLJtAodJ1EANg

I have the AP2's Gareth, thanks for the info with more ideas.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
once the shiney seed has been planted, it will gnaw away at you until you ultimately cave to the temptation...

i'd treat yourself, blades only become more difficult to hit at around 4-5 iron imo, at your handicap you should be able to play with bladed higher lofted clubs no problem, just depends on how often you'd tend to hit 4/5 irons round your course.

if necessary you could go for a combo set and just get the cb's in 4 or 5 iron or get 913 hybrids and adjust the loft to fit the gap..

You could be right, I hit some Nike blades a few weeks ago, they felt good too!

Go for it.

I've got blades (ish) and I hit some awful shots, but while you're not playing to put food on the table do what makes you happy. :thup:

True too Region, but, I am nearly 61 now and I've never played single figures so I need to be sure that the awful shots are few and far between if I'm going to achieve my long term ambition

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
True too Region, but, I am nearly 61 now and I've never played single figures so I need to be sure that the awful shots are few and far between if I'm going to achieve my long term ambition

I forgot about your combo set. Have you tried them?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I forgot about your combo set. Have you tried them?

I played with them for a while last winter but was working on swing changes and it was difficult to assess them as the course was very wet into the spring and early summer. When the comps started I decided to play the AP's as I was used to them and hitting them well and lent the blades to a mate. He's now done with them now so I will get them back, but, I just wonder if I will repeat last year and play in wet, boggy conditions where even the slightest fat shot is even more heavily penalised, and therefore not properly evaluate them

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Chris, I have used AP2's for 5 years now and while I do still love them, like you, think it is time for a change to something a little spicier (hence my purchase of MP37's last week).
Apart from age, the only slight difference between us is that I played off 6 for a few years before giving the game up. Thinking back, I actually used "more difficult" irons at the time (tzoid pro 2's), I used to be able to work the ball better than I can now, part of that is down to the using the AP2s which go well but dont seem to be as player orientated.
I cant tell you yes or no but I would dare say that moving to more bladey type irons cold turkey, you could well take longer to get to single figures, perhaps get a lend of a set and try them for a week or two before making any solid decisions.
Sometimes it is better the devil you know, the AP2s could be the very club for you.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just breaking in the new 714 AP2's at present Chris , before i went for the fitting i was leaning twords the MB's or AP2's .... was playing (sorry GAMING :D) Mizzy MP32's up to this

I like a thin top line so the 4 new heads were placed down before me i favoured the AP2'S first then the MB visualy , which surprised me a bit ..

the practice/demo club was bulit for me on AP2 head, but after geting the specs right i tried the same shafts , lofts etc with the MB heads ..

AP2's were giving me better control and numbers ...

I was lucky as the fitting was by Titleist and they didnt care which i picked so i got what was best for me .. it was my first ever fitting but if i was gona shell out that much again id recommend a fitting ..

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Be honest with yourself and think about how well you strike your current irons. If you are a good striker of the ball, handicap is irrelivent. But if you do not classify yourself as a good iron player then remember a set of blades will only exaggerate the bad shots.

I had a set of MP33 before my current irons and Ioved them. Blades are not to be frightened of if you are good with your irons. Sometimes in golf you need to go with your heart and get what you want ;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
As I was off work today I've just done a couple odd hours at the range. I was hitting the ball pretty sweet ( May post up some video later) and there was a 12 year old lad there who had a set of MB blades that were slightly shorter. He let me have a few hits and I pured each one, so I figure that I could play with them no problem.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As I was off work today I've just done a couple odd hours at the range. I was hitting the ball pretty sweet ( May post up some video later) and there was a 12 year old lad there who had a set of MB blades that were slightly shorter. He let me have a few hits and I pured each one, so I figure that I could play with them no problem.

Why didnt you make off with them while he was sleeping ;)