Second hand or new fitted ironsW

Goyko

Visit site
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to see if I could get some advise or views on this subject.

I’ve recently started playing again for the past 9 months and currently using a set of Callaway X18 in Graphite, which I believe are about 15-17 years old.

Swing speed for driver is around 107-110mph. Would getting fitted for a brand new set of irons for the price of around £700 be good, or would it be better for now to just buy a second hand set for around £400. In steel, either regular or stiff shaft just to suit my swing and game a bit better. And when my handicap lowers to then get fitted?

Cheers

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
X-18's are still a functional model. I would talk to your club pro and get some advice but my take would be get back into your game and see what the state of the swing is and then decide. The second hand market took a huge hit in lockdown and after with the boom in new players but still some good bargains out there but it needs more searching. Hard to find anywhere that will fit for second hand, and you might to look at brands like SUb-70 to get a fitted set for that budget

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would question with a driver swing speed of 107-110 mph why the graphite shafts?

It suggests an iron speed of over 80 mph

You could do a static fit on something like the Ping site and go secondhand to suit.

The Fader

Visit site
X-18's are still a functional model. I would talk to your club pro and get some advice but my take would be get back into your game and see what the state of the swing is and then decide. The second hand market took a huge hit in lockdown and after with the boom in new players but still some good bargains out there but it needs more searching. Hard to find anywhere that will fit for second hand, and you might to look at brands like SUb-70 to get a fitted set for that budget

I agree. I will sound like a stuck record but Sub70 are the way to go.

For under £500 you will get a custom built set of irons to suit your swing. No brainer!!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
107-110 mph usually equates to a 7 iron speed in the upper 80s, maybe even 90mph. You are around the stiff to extra stiff border in most shafts.

I think it is very limiting to recommend one brand for any player. The Sub70 brand is good value but more limited set of shaft options than most independent fitters.

I would stick with the X18s until you feel you are back in the groove (maybe that is now), then go to a fitter with a range of brands and find something suitable. I wouldn't necessarily be against graphite, some high end shafts around like Steelfibers, used by some Tour players, but steel shaft weight options have exploded in the past few years and lots of good choices in shaft weight and flight characteristics available.

Goyko

Visit site
I would question with a driver swing speed of 107-110 mph why the graphite shafts?

It suggests an iron speed of over 80 mph

You could do a static fit on something like the Ping site and go secondhand to suit.

Essentially all my clubs have always been handed down to me by my old man. I started off with a set of Mizuno in steel, but those where all rusted due to them being left in the shed for many years and I believe he got rid of those. And this set of Callaway's again is handed down.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Rest assured your current clubs are not holding you back.

Newer will probably be better, but even if they were game changing better your only talking 2 - 3 shots.

If youre enjoying playing, then no need to splash out just yet...

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Rest assured your current clubs are not holding you back.

Newer will probably be better, but even if they were game changing better your only talking 2 - 3 shots.

If youre enjoying playing, then no need to splash out just yet...

Is 2 or 3 shots not a significant improvement with just a set of irons?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't get fitted for irons until you can strike them well consistently. I went for an iron fitting last year, but on the day I was all over the place (way worse than on the course to be fair) - it was embarrassing and we knocked it on the head, but the point is: even if I was hitting it just well enough to get some data and pick a set of irons, who says I would have been hitting them the same way a week later? It really put me off the idea of getting a fitting unless I ever get down to single figures really.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Is 2 or 3 shots not a significant improvement with just a set of irons?

100% could be, but Id say that was best case and with some assumptions about the OPs standard I would assume 2 - 3 shots could be found in much easier and cheaper ways. When the low hanging fruit is gone and maybe once they have a relationship with a pro who knows their game is when id be recommending spending some money...

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
the guy who built my clubs, offers to re-shaft golf clubs, so would do the whole fitting process and then put in the correct shafts, length, flex, weight etc

save you money on the heads, could probably do the set of irons for £300, wouldn't be shiny new sticks but would perform pretty closely to a built set. Or my wife got a set built for her, Wishon very nice set that ost £400 by the same guy.

I personally wouldn't buy OEM irons, you are paying a heavy premium for those companies advertising and sponsoring tour pros