New Puppy Advice

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm really surprised that any dog is still chewing furniture and generally being destructive at ten months old.
And to be fair, he no longer chews furniture as such, that’s more from when he was teething. Tea towels, socks, ties and golf caps are a different story though.

RichA

Visit site
Nylabone was the only truly indestructible thing we found for our lurcher/staffie cross. He loved it and barely put a mark on it in years.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Whilst new puppies are being discussed, can I ask a clarification question about the 5 minutes per month rule of thumb for walking please. Is this the actual time walking or does the time include the inordinate amount of time letting them sniff anything and everything becuase it is all still new? If it is the latter then I'm lmited to a very short par 3!
I thinknits the time walking. They can do multiple times per day, but it's important not to overdo it. Have a look at a puppy xray, the bones don't fuse until they reach maturity. It's also worth looking at when to spey/nuiter, there is strong evidence to not do this until the dog has reached maturity. Hormones needed for bone and muscle growth. There is a vet study relating to ligament damage on male dogs nuitered before maturity.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We've had our little fella now for 3 weeks and he has been great. Coming from a rescue, the first week he preferred staying in his cage and that is still his place if he wants to nap sometimes but after a week he preferred sleeping on the floor near us. He wasn't actually house trained when he came to us but the only time he's made a mess in the house was when we didn't recognise the signs. Other than that he's slept through the night after the first week, comes out in the morning to do all his business and generally been pretty good. The only thing he has chewed is one iPad charger cable and tried to chew a bit of the stair carpet. However, his main issue is he is very nervous. He prefers the living room where he sleeps and sits with us, will come into the kitchen when we sit for our meals to eat his own, and out in the garden, but he's reluctant to walk between them. He doesn't like any loud noises and gets really nervous when out walking, especially at the sound of cars which totally spook him. We are trying to take him out with just the two of us being calm and to try to get him used to the sounds, but it will be a bit of a long haul.
I've requested to join the Facebook dog training page. It sounds great, and we'll give that a go.

Attachments

• Frank 3.jpg
    Frank 3.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Frank 2.jpg
    Frank 2.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Frank 1.jpg
    Frank 1.jpg
    686.1 KB · Views: 12

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
We've had our little fella now for 3 weeks and he has been great. Coming from a rescue, the first week he preferred staying in his cage and that is still his place if he wants to nap sometimes but after a week he preferred sleeping on the floor near us. He wasn't actually house trained when he came to us but the only time he's made a mess in the house was when we didn't recognise the signs. Other than that he's slept through the night after the first week, comes out in the morning to do all his business and generally been pretty good. The only thing he has chewed is one iPad charger cable and tried to chew a bit of the stair carpet. However, his main issue is he is very nervous. He prefers the living room where he sleeps and sits with us, will come into the kitchen when we sit for our meals to eat his own, and out in the garden, but he's reluctant to walk between them. He doesn't like any loud noises and gets really nervous when out walking, especially at the sound of cars which totally spook him. We are trying to take him out with just the two of us being calm and to try to get him used to the sounds, but it will be a bit of a long haul.
I've requested to join the Facebook dog training page. It sounds great, and we'll give that a go.

The big thing I've learnt about nervous dogs is the only way to deal with it is to never let them get over their "threshold" but gradually work towards them getting nearer to the thing they fear...again without them actually being scared. So if he's happy to say stand inside near the front door as things go past outside then work with that and reward him just being there and not stressing. He won't get why he's being rewarded but will start to join up the dots and realise that the things that were scary are in fact great as when they appear so does a treat. Once he's stressed though you won't make progress so just back away and start again. The FB page is great and they explain it in much more detail and far more eloquently than I have!

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bit of an update. 15-16 months in and it feels like we’re making real progress. The last 4 months or so have been much more pleasurable, and less destructive!

It finally clicked for me that when walking him off the lead, if we had two balls on the go at once it keeps him much more engaged/focused. Now he’s switched on as soon as he’s off the lead and his recall is really improved. This allows us to go on a 5-7 mile walk each day off the lead, mixing it up each day to keep it interesting. Majority of the time he’s hurtling after a ball, but he likes a good sniff in the woods or splash in the sea or beck. In turn the walks off the lead have helped to exercise his mind and his body and to calm him down at home due to the fact he’s tired. He’s by no way perfect, but we’re getting there. He’s still a cheeky thing who only last week destroyed a Sky tv remote and who today wallowed in a muddy puddle, immersing his full body in the style of a Hippo, just as we got to the car. But we wouldn’t change him.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Fully recovered thanks. Two days recovering and back to her boisterous self. If ever i need an op, I'll go to the vet!
Cheap vasectomy?
Great to here the rapid recovery! Unlikely to prevent a repeat, so could pay to be aware of her sorties into the long grass. Worth training her to retrieve cf consume?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Finally caved in to months of pleading from the family, and agreed to get another Springer. We pick him up next week when he is 8 weeks old. It will be strange going through puppy training again after 9 years but we've done it successfully twice so should be fine. Will have to have a good read through this thread!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Finally caved in to months of pleading from the family, and agreed to get another Springer. We pick him up next week when he is 8 weeks old. It will be strange going through puppy training again after 9 years but we've done it successfully twice so should be fine. Will have to have a good read through this thread!
Looking forward to the pics.

Here's a recent pic of my wee dog. He is absolutely brilliant, a real wee character. He is 20 months old and learning new things everyday.
Screenshot_20221120-083029_Gallery.jpg

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
This. Always have a toy to distract and replace the bit they're biting. If you're on Facebook I can highly recommend a group on there run by professional behaviourists. They do answer specific training questions BUT mainly have a whole heap of resources to help. They are pretty amazing. "Dog Training Advice and Support".

I wish I had seen this thread a few weeks ago lol! I'm waiting for my membership to be approved. We collected our working cocker 7 weeks ago today and she is now 15 weeks old.