New member what to do

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Assuming the OP refers to an established course, then if the 10th hole was genuinely the hazard described it would have long since been addressed. No golf club, certainly a private members’ club, wants to find themselves mired in legal issues because someone is injured as a direct result of an obvious health and safety matter.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t think so, I think they should of replied by now. I made two points and one of them being a question about the rules and where I stand. So I think it’s poor form that my email wasn’t even acknowledged .
Did you write to the Committee or to the Manager. The Manager would normally forward such correspondence to the committee chair. In most clubs the committee (all volunteers remember) will only meet monthly and the chair/manager would not have the authority to reply until the committee has discussed and formulated a proper response.
It seems you have little knowledge of the workings of golf clubs

Mandofred

Visit site
Every golf course is going to have their quirks. The one that gets to me is "this is the way we've always done it"....usually when they just can't be bothered to make a change for the better (not just in my opinion, but others I play with as well). In this particular case, it sounds like jumping on the course is something that happens pretty often...in which case it has probably been happening for quite a while. Does the management know about it?.....I would think so. If 20 people just started jumping on the course every evening to play without paying.......is the committee going to wait until their next meeting (next month/year) to deal with it?

I recently changed clubs partially to have a much shorter drive to the golf course, and partially because I wasn't happy with some of the decisions being made at the old course. My decision was based on what I think is important.....won't be the same for everybody. My current course has a lot of people/groups/organizations booking large amounts of tee times.....I'll either deal with it or switch clubs in the future. In the meantime.....I will spend my time getting to know the quirks/politics of this golf course.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
G1,
If my memory serves me correct you were undecided where to join. May I ask where you ended up joining please?

Also did you have a word with somebody explaining your handicap position, false, and did he suggest playing in a couple of comps. and winning to reduce handicap.

You mentioned there was a joining fee and expecting you will have done your homework I would expect the Club to be reasonably well off and hd the problems you mention for some considerable time. You may ask what they have done about it or have they just not grasped the situation.

I think you are being a bit hasty sending emails off so soon but that is your prerogative. I would try and find out what is going on, how aware people are of the situation and suggest the marshalOf volunteers are employed later in the day, say 6/8 at this time of the year. The word will soon get round as it is costing the Club money.

G1z1

Visit site
So I got talking to the marshal again last night, he’s not a volunteer he’s actually one of the green keepers. He was saying he very rarely catches anyone in the afternoon and it’s usually just before he finishes he will catch some. I told him there’s almost always people jumping on when I’m finished about 7:30/8pm tee times finish currently at 7pm and he said he would say to the office about starting later and finishing later.
He was also saying the whole setup was just bad, he told me he gets a bit of paper on a Friday afternoon with the weekends tee sheet printed out so it’s not accurate. I myself won’t actually book on on BRS usually until I’m in the car park about to play so I’ll never show up on the bit of paper for him to see. He did say he has an iPhone so he’s going to ask them just to make an BRS account for him so he can see a live tee sheet.
Again about the email I sent off I can’t stress this enough it was a very polite email saying 1 that I’ve seen a lot of people skipping on or either not booking on the tee sheet and it was frustrating because I’m seeing a tee sheet with maybe an hour gap and then when I come to play there’s maybe a 3 ball walking down the 2nd and the other point was my asking about the rules and where I stand for people jumping on at the 10th and who has the right away. I was in no way making any demands.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So I got talking to the marshal again last night, he’s not a volunteer he’s actually one of the green keepers. He was saying he very rarely catches anyone in the afternoon and it’s usually just before he finishes he will catch some. I told him there’s almost always people jumping on when I’m finished about 7:30/8pm tee times finish currently at 7pm and he said he would say to the office about starting later and finishing later.
He was also saying the whole setup was just bad, he told me he gets a bit of paper on a Friday afternoon with the weekends tee sheet printed out so it’s not accurate. I myself won’t actually book on on BRS usually until I’m in the car park about to play so I’ll never show up on the bit of paper for him to see. He did say he has an iPhone so he’s going to ask them just to make an BRS account for him so he can see a live tee sheet.
Again about the email I sent off I can’t stress this enough it was a very polite email saying 1 that I’ve seen a lot of people skipping on or either not booking on the tee sheet and it was frustrating because I’m seeing a tee sheet with maybe an hour gap and then when I come to play there’s maybe a 3 ball walking down the 2nd and the other point was my asking about the rules and where I stand for people jumping on at the 10th and who has the right away. I was in no way making any demands.

Maybe this is just other players doing the same as you. i.e You (& maybe others) don't book until you're on-site but others checked earlier and saw an hours worth of free tee slots, then they turn up to find you walking down the 2nd etc etc

G1z1

Visit site
Maybe this is just other players doing the same as you. i.e You (& maybe others) don't book until you're on-site but others checked earlier and saw an hours worth of free tee slots, then they turn up to find you walking down the 2nd etc etc
No it’s definitely not that because any time I’ve seen people walking down the 2nd I’ve never once seen them booked on when I’ve looked on the app

Billysboots

Visit site

You took the words right out of my mouth.

EDIT: I’m quite sure this happens at the majority of golf clubs, especially late in the day. People chancing their arms and hoping for a few holes after a day at work, and either booking onto BRS as they walk to the tee, or simply not booking a tee at all. It most certainly happens at ours, as I play every Wednesday with a group of mates about 5pm, and we will often find golfers directly in front of us even if we aren’t aware of anyone being booked in. To be blunt, it’s a small world problem.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Visit site
Well the way I’m seeing it is i have paid for a full membership with joining fee and people are skipping on for free, so yes I’m 100% annoyed with this.

As a relatively new member yourself, how on earth do you know these aren’t other members who simply haven’t booked tee times? I’ve been a member at my place for very nearly 20 years now, and would never be able to lay claim to the suggestion non members are hopping on for a freebie, quite simply because knowing all 650+ of them is absolutely impossible.

D

Deleted member 23270

As a relatively new member yourself, how on earth do you know these aren’t other members who simply haven’t booked tee times? I’ve been a member at my place for very nearly 20 years now, and would never be able to lay claim to the suggestion non members are hopping on for a freebie, quite simply because knowing all 650+ of them is absolutely impossible.
This ⬆️

I have frequently popped up in the evening to play a few holes when it's quiet and not booked myself in. I did ask the OP in an earlier post if he asked any of these people if they are members but he didn't respond.

G1z1

Visit site

I know because the marshal says he catches people skipping on every day he’s out and if some members don’t follow the rules by using rbs booking system I don’t see how that should be aloud or they should maybe just scrap all rules and have a free for all. Also for person asking it’s a private course

Billysboots

Visit site
This ⬆️

I have frequently popped up in the evening to play a few holes when it's quiet and not booked myself in. I did ask the OP in an earlier post if he asked any of these people if they are members but he didn't respond.

We do have members at ours who are happy to make accusations without actually knowing facts.

The classic example is pitchmarks. Woe betide anyone who suggests members would leave unrepaired marks on the greens. Oh no, never the members, it must be visitors and uncouth society golfers.

Well, when we came out of the first lockdown in 2020 and no visitors or societies were allowed, guess what? Greens quickly littered with fresh, unrepaired pitchmarks. Who’d have thought it?

Billysboots

Visit site
I know because the marshal says he catches people skipping on every day he’s out and if some members don’t follow the rules by using rbs booking system I don’t see how that should be aloud or they should maybe just scrap all rules and have a free for all. Also for person asking it’s a private course

But you yourself book virtually when you are stepping onto the tee. How do you know others aren’t doing something similar? Every time you find someone on a hole you weren’t expecting to see, do you immediately log on to BRS to see if they are booked in? And if there are names there, can you put names to faces? Do you track everyone on the course at the same time as you to ensure they have booked tee times, because it’s also entirely possible that those appearing in front of you may have started elsewhere on the course and simply missed out a few holes, making it seem as though they have started directly in front of you?

Sorry, and I genuinely do apologise if I am speaking out of turn, but the more I read the more I am seeing a single golfer who moans every time another group of golfers dares to impede his progress round the course. I say again, I am sure every club has people who play at certain times of the day without booking tee times. And unless a club has staff monitoring every tee, every second of the day, I am equally sure that the occasional non member nipping on for a freebie is not uncommon. And the cost of policing that to a club will far outweigh any fees missed out on, so don’t expect your club to make sweeping changes to accommodate your complaints.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The biggest thing I’m taking is slow play and arrogance of others not letting the OP through if he’s playing quicker.

Regarding the dangerous tenth, what about a simple mirror on a tall pole behind the tee. Tyrell’s wood have a few of these which seem relatively small investment and totally practical

Last edited:

G1z1

Visit site
I’ll try explain a bit better so on my course on the 1st you can also see the 2nd and 3rd pretty clearly. So I book on in car park no one for an hour I’m think I’m good to go. I’ve seen 3 balls a few times now walking down the 2nd so then I go oh no and I’m thinking the worst like they won’t let me through but that’s just the experience I’ve had in my short time playing golf. So then I’ll look on tee sheet and 100% of the time it’s still showing no one playing.

It’s not even up for debate at this point that my club has a problem with people skipping on so I’m not sure why people continue to go back and forth. Sure there might be the odd member that refuses to use BRS but my club has a problem with skipping on.

Also I’ll tell you a story about east ren there’s members on this forum so he can ask Stewart in the pro shop. One day a few people were not arguing but getting a bit frustrated in the pro shop. When they went out I was asking Stewart what that was about I ended up being quite good mates with him so he was telling me a lot of the older members at east ren didn’t like BRS and refused to use it they were quickly told use BRS at all times or find a different club. So who’s right and who’s wrong ?

Billysboots

Visit site
I’ll try explain a bit better so on my course on the 1st you can also see the 2nd and 3rd pretty clearly. So I book on in car park no one for an hour I’m think I’m good to go. I’ve seen 3 balls a few times now walking down the 2nd so then I go oh no and I’m thinking the worst like they won’t let me through but that’s just the experience I’ve had in my short time playing golf. So then I’ll look on tee sheet and 100% of the time it’s still showing no one playing.

It’s not even up for debate at this point that my club has a problem with people skipping on so I’m not sure why people continue to go back and forth. Sure there might be the odd member that refuses to use BRS but my club has a problem with skipping on.

Also I’ll tell you a story about east ren there’s members on this forum so he can ask Stewart in the pro shop. One day a few people were not arguing but getting a bit frustrated in the pro shop. When they went out I was asking Stewart what that was about I ended up being quite good mates with him so he was telling me a lot of the older members at east ren didn’t like BRS and refused to use it they were quickly told use BRS at all times or find a different club. So who’s right and who’s wrong ?

So you’re really just moaning about being held up by golfers who aren’t using BRS, and as such they are an unwelcome irritant when they start in front of you and hold you up?

How would you feel if you’d rocked up, expecting to fly round 18 holes in a couple of hours, booked into BRS a couple of minutes before your round, and then found a 4-ball on the tee who had also legitimately booked their round, as you did, at the last minute? And do you give any thought to those playing behind you, who arrived expecting an empty fairway ahead of them, only to find you had booked in at the last minute in front of them? Have you actually any idea how petty you sound?

I don’t know your age, or how long you have been playing golf, but please accept the following as well meant, friendly advice from someone who has spent a good deal of the last 40+ years in and around various golf clubs, and served on committees at two of them. Get your feet under the table, get to know different groups of members, see how the land lies and gauge the views of others on the “politics” of the club. If, then, you still feel aggrieved, that will be the time to consider taking the club to task about how it is run.

If you adopt the alternative approach of firing off complaint emails as soon as you arrive, playing marshals and greenkeeping staff off against the pro, committee and established members, you will be astonished at how quickly you gain a very unwelcome reputation as a ? stirrer. In the event that happens, you might as well start looking for another club.

G1z1

Visit site
If you adopt the alternative approach of firing off complaint emails as soon as you arrive, playing marshals and greenkeeping staff off against the pro, committee and established members, you will be astonished at how quickly you gain a very unwelcome reputation as a ? stirrer. In the event that happens, you might as well start looking for another club.

So you have clearly not been reading any of my posts correctly. I’ve never once made a complaint by email and I’ve explained quite clearly what was said. Playing the marshal against the pro please explain how you have came to this conclusion I’m desperate to know ?