New member what to do

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
You asked me earlier if I can read. My answer is out there - or do you suffer a similar affliction?

I genuinely am out this time. The moderation team have offered their input, and I have no wish to cross swords with them on your account.

Good luck in your efforts integrating yourself at your new club.

G1z1

Visit site
You asked me earlier if I can read. My answer is out there - or do you suffer a similar affliction?

I genuinely am out this time. The moderation team have offered their input, and I have no wish to cross swords with them on your account.

Good luck in your efforts integrating yourself at your new club.
Convenient that isn’t it lol I’m out when you don’t have an answer because the previous answers you gave I pointed out that you were wrong.

G1z1

Visit site
Get back under your bridge. I answered your questions - go and find the answers.
Yes you answered them by making assumptions and when I pointed out you were wrong then you had no answer. You have been caught out and now resorting to personal insults lol classic

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Right
Stepping in here
G1z1, people have tried to give their opinions on your issue, it’s up to you how you use the info given, but throwing it back and getting into a spat will do you as much good here as it will do if you do the same at your club.

Word to the wise, integrate, get a feel, then see if there is anything that needs changing.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
It seems quiet a few are condoning members not using the booking systems, I bet they would start complaining when they turn up with their mates for their pre booked time (if they do indeed book) only to find a queue of people on the first tee.

When we first opened up after the lockdown (2020), the booking system was implemented, full most of the time, members sat at home unable to play but up at the club non members were just turning up and playing no tee time no fees paid.

D

Deleted member 15344

It seems quiet a few are condoning members not using the booking systems, I bet they would start complaining when they turn up with their mates for their pre booked time (if they do indeed book) only to find a queue of people on the first tee.

When we first opened up after the lockdown (2020), the booking system was implemented, full most of the time, members sat at home unable to play but up at the club non members were just turning up and playing no tee time no fees paid.

We have members who turn up in the car park , see that the tee is empty on the tee sheet and then go out and play if it’s clear , some put their names down , some don’t - it’s not really a major issue

If the booking system is in place and you have booked a tee time then why would someone just turn up ? It’s very easy to police yourselves and it’s certainly not an issue we have seen.

In regards the OP

First thing is to check that the people that appear to be playing without booking are either members or guests trying to sneak on

As for the other issue - if it’s a problem then I’m sure the committee will know

in regards the email - committees are mainly volunteers , we have all gone through a period of Easter School holidays , bank holidays etc and I suspect the committee haven’t sat down for a few weeks. If your email was urgent they address it during the appropriate time, as it’s not then I’m sure they will get to it at some stage.

What I would say is - just calm down a touch and just let yourself used to how the club works

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Without reference to the Op's problem as far as I can see with booking what is reasonable and what isn't.
Non members should always pay and book if there is a booking system in place.
Members should book to guarantee themselves a game but some do not turn up therefore it is not unreasonable for members to pitch up and see if there is a free space due to others not turning up if so great , play if not then you can't expect to barge in.
I played today and the booking system said there were no free spaces however there were at least two clear holes in front of us when we tee'd off slightly earlier than our booking time because of the free spaces.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We have members who turn up in the car park , see that the tee is empty on the tee sheet and then go out and play if it’s clear , some put their names down , some don’t - it’s not really a major issue

If the booking system is in place and you have booked a tee time then why would someone just turn up ? It’s very easy to police yourselves and it’s certainly not an issue we have seen.

In regards the OP

First thing is to check that the people that appear to be playing without booking are either members or guests trying to sneak on

As for the other issue - if it’s a problem then I’m sure the committee will know

in regards the email - committees are mainly volunteers , we have all gone through a period of Easter School holidays , bank holidays etc and I suspect the committee haven’t sat down for a few weeks. If your email was urgent they address it during the appropriate time, as it’s not then I’m sure they will get to it at some stage.

What I would say is - just calm down a touch and just let yourself used to how the club works
Just to flesh out further my own experience of this point...pre-pandemic we were a casual roll-up and play club but now have tee booking for all play. But that said very often when at home I will decide a few holes is in order, I will look using app or on-line and often see that the tee is pretty free for a period of time of a mid-late afternoon, but I won't book a specific time until I am at the club.

I'll decide when I get to the club whether or not I go to the range first and if so for how long; plus whether or not I'll have a coffee of a nibble before going put. Once I've decided what I'm going to do - or indeed even after I've been to the range if I do that - I'll look to book a time. In general I'll formally book a time using the app or ask the pro shop to book me on - but truth is that if the tee is still quiet for a period occasionally I wont bother and I'll just go to the 1st tee and tee off. Plus sometimes members don't always start at the first - especially if they see from the tee booking that groups of four balls (especially slow ones) have gone off - and so if it's possible the member might jump to a tee ahead of them to start.

Flexibility. One of the delights of being a member of a club that is not always chocka-block every minute of every day.

Like @LP suggests - I'd advise OP to wait a bit to get a feel for how things work in practice on the tee reservation and starting front. Non-members jumping on is quite another matter and an observation that should be raised. But as a newbie to a club I myself wouldn't get into questioning players as to whether or not they are members...certainly not until I find out whether or not many or most other members do challenge - then I might do also.

Last edited:

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
That’s the point he wasn’t trying to help. He made out I was stirring up trouble and trying to play the marshal off against the pro and when I called him out on it he just jumped onto something else. So no that’s not trying to help.

My original question was should I go in to talk to the office as I didn’t get a reply from my email and a few people did give a helpful reply saying no that’s not how it works it will likely be brought up later on at a meeting and me being new to golf I didn’t even think of that. So they people were very helpful now I have an idea of how a golf club is run but billy was in no way helpful.

i think to be fair Billy was trying to help you. You’ve got to consider how you’re questions/complaints come across to those who receive them and I think Billy was helping you to consider that at least.

TigerBear

Visit site
I made a post the other week about two problems with my new club. So I emailed the club on the 16th of April so a little over two weeks, I was very polite just saying I had two concerns 1 being people skipping on the course and 2 people starting on the 10th and asking what is the rules regarding where you can tee off from and do I have the right away if I get held up. I didn’t get any reply and wondering if I should go in on Monday and ask what’s going on.
I did notice the last two weeks a marshal has been out on the course but finishes at 6pm when I usually finish my round about 7:30/8pm theres always multiple people on the first few holes. So the marshal doesn’t work as I’m guessing most people skip on between 6 and 8pm.
Other problem about people teeing off from the 10th is now worst that I thought because the 10th is a blind tee shot, on the 10th last week I topped my driver just made it over the hill and guy in front was taking ages. Someone must of walked onto the 10th tees off and ball goes right over my head because they can’t see me so it’s extremely dangerous and surprised if no one has actually been hit before because of this.
I am annoyed they haven’t bothered to reply to my email and not sure what to do next, clubs by far best in my area so don’t want to leave but these two problems are annoying with one of them being quite dangerous.

What course do you play at?

John Evans 9

Visit site
I take the view that as a member, if the first tee is clear, then I can help myself. Booking in at that point achieves nothing. If I find that there are others in front of me, booked in or not, then that is normal on a golf course. If it’s a quick evening game just for a few holes I’d be more than happy to join in with others if I catch them up.
If the OP has seen something blatantly wrong then it should be reported but if it is just something that he doesn’t like then, as a new member, he’d be advised to be tolerant until he realises what the common practices are. Above all, don’t spoil your own game because you are put off by what other people do.