New irons fitting

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
OK, that makes a bit more sense. PXF play about 0.5 softer than the same number PX, and the carry distances are more credible for those swing speeds. A KBS C-taper S might be worth looking at if you ever want a swap into something low spin and lowish launch.

Whoa! Clubs haven't even been built from a proper fitting and alternative shafts are being suggested!:confused::D

A

Alex1975

Can't wait to see them, I checked there beauty out last night but did not look at the wedges till reading the post, they are beautiful!

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
interesting... your 6 iron swing speed of 83 mph is exactly the same as mine, i got custom fitted using a trackman just before xmas
the fitter recommended me dynamic gold r300 which surprised me a bit, i don't think im short, 6 iron carries about 165,
i noticed your stats lead to you trying out the x100's! a bit of a contrast to the r300s

i went for project x 5.5 in the end

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
interesting... your 6 iron swing speed of 83 mph is exactly the same as mine, i got custom fitted using a trackman just before xmas
the fitter recommended me dynamic gold r300 which surprised me a bit, i don't think im short, 6 iron carries about 165,
i noticed your stats lead to you trying out the x100's! a bit of a contrast to the r300s

Tim see later post, I had posted wrong ss, my average turned out to be 87mph

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Tim see later post, I had posted wrong ss, my average turned out to be 87mph

This still shows that swing speed isn't everything.
4mph on it's own isn't going to jump you from Regular to Extra Stiff...!

For what it's worth, my 84mph came out with Stiff flex.....

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Yep i agree, the fitter thought the r300's would get the longer irons launching a bit better, but i didn't feel comfortable going for the regular flex, on previous experience the r300's sometimes produced high hook type shots, so plumbed for the project x 5.5 which i think is somewhere in between dynamic gold regular and stiff

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Tend to agree Ian, 83mph is at the regular end surely and at 87mph Ive actually gone slightly softer on shaft, the ones Ive gone with are between stiff and x stiff really, think they equate to approx 6.2 on the rifle scale

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tis a good set of irons alright :) I find the flight I get from mine is great although I have the rs5 3-6 and rs3 7-pw. Cracking clubs imo and glad I took a bit of a gamble on them

A

Alex1975

Tend to agree Ian, 83mph is at the regular end surely and at 87mph Ive actually gone slightly softer on shaft, the ones Ive gone with are between stiff and x stiff really, think they equate to approx 6.2 on the rifle scale

I've done the DNA fit lots of times at lots of different places and alway 82 mph and always an S flex, however always a shaft at the lighter end. I don't need to tell you that swing speed is only a part of it. Also of note, whatever Steve's stats are and even with him hitting slower this winter he hits it MILES. I guess smash factor of 1.5 all the way.

I wonder if your weight loss has anything to do with the spec changes?

That said it was no surprise that you went from X to S but heavier, it was the same with your driver fitting last year.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've done the DNA fit lots of times at lots of different places and alway 82 mph and always an S flex, however always a shaft at the lighter end. I don't need to tell you that swing speed is only a part of it. Also of note, whatever Steve's stats are and even with him hitting slower this winter he hits it MILES. I guess smash factor of 1.5 all the way.

That said it was no surprise that you went from X to S but heavier, it was the same with your driver fitting last year.
Here is a screenshot of a Mizuno DNA output illustrating Luke Donald and CHIII's swing speed and tempo. It shows that the lower end of stiff ranges from about 88mph at the slowest temp to about 76mph at the highest tempo. Most people are somewhere in between, so for the average tempo player, stiff starts about 86 or 87mph.

That is only a guide to start fitting. Ball flight, feel preferences and other factors also play a part.

swingDNA.jpg

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Being pedantic, or maybe educational, but you won't get a smash factor of anywhere near 1.5 with an iron because they don't have the same trampoline effect as a driver.

Whatever it is, it must be higher than mine. I thnk I remember having an ss of around 89 and a carry of 172 with a 6 iron.

A

Alex1975

Being pedantic, or maybe educational, but you won't get a smash factor of anywhere near 1.5 with an iron because they don't have the same trampoline effect as a driver.

Whatever it is, it must be higher than mine. I thnk I remember having an ss of around 89 and a carry of 172 with a 6 iron.

Smash factor is ball speed over club speed, how does club spring come into it. Anyhow I am sure there is more to this than just smash...

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Smash factor is ball speed over club speed, how does club spring come into it. Anyhow I am sure there is more to this than just smash...

Smash factor is usually lower in irons because irons have no trampoline effect that gives a maximal COR like you get in woods. If an iron face had a spring in it, it would give a higher smass factor. The channels or slots in the Rocketballz irons is supposed to do this to some extent.

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Smash factor is ball speed over club speed, how does club spring come into it.

Correct, smash is the relationship between clubhead speed and ball speed. The type of club does come into the equation because as stated by Region3, a driver has a trampoline effect (or CoR) which allows the clubface to be compressed back then it springs forward when it strikes the ball, helping to increase ball speed. You do not get this with a solid iron head, the only trampoline effect comes from the compressing of the ball.

With a driver you can get a smash factor around 1.50 but with an iron it is typically around 1.30

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Correct, smash is the relationship between clubhead speed and ball speed. The type of club does come into the equation because as stated by Region3, a driver has a trampoline effect (or CoR) which allows the clubface to be compressed back then it springs forward when it strikes the ball, helping to increase ball speed. You do not get this with a solid iron head, the only trampoline effect comes from the compressing of the ball.

With a driver you can get a smash factor around 1.50 but with an iron it is typically around 1.30

Smash will increase as the club gets longer. A good six iron smash is 1.35, PW about 1.2

scratch

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Smash will increase as the club gets longer. A good six iron smash is 1.35, PW about 1.2

True.

It is down to more loft on the club which results in more of the energy causing the ball to go up rather than forward which means a lower ball speed.