New H/C (54) Comp Changes

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
So I've thrown it out there at our place and involved the H/C committee, as suggested by one of our Comp committee people, and they think there's not a problem. Clowns. They suggest, medals to be 2 divisions like we have now but Div 1 to be 0-14 as now and Div 2 to be everyone else!!! Don't worry we'll be on to any bandits like a flash. Yeah right. Oh and no men have been moved up higher than 28 after review but two women have gone over 36!

PS All of the men on the H/C committee play off less than 10. So any high H/C's awarded won't affect them in Division.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Had I known about the 54 handicap before I handed in 3 cards in September I'd have thrashed the living daylights out of my 3 cards 🤣🤣

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would be more worried about the pace of play than having 54 handicap hackers digging up the course, it bad enough at the moment with the current crop of hackers out there without adding a new batch.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Just had a look at our handicap list....we now have 13 men who play off handicaps higher than 28....each and every one of them is a senior and the vast majority of them have never scored more than 30 points off their old 28 handicap. We now have 4 29's, 3 30's, 3 31's, 2 32's and a 33 handicapper.

The ladies now have 2x38's, 2x40's and a 42 handicapper.

Loooking at the past scores of the 18 golfers.....I'd say the revised handicaps are pretty much well justified....were talking players here who largely struggle to score above mid 20's stableford points.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Don't know if it is the same in Britain, but in Germany (where we've had the handicaps up to 54 for quite a few years now) your handicap can only go down until it reaches 26. And in the range between 54 and 36, it goes down a whole shot for every stroke you underplay it (or for every pt over 36 Stabelford points). Meaning people who play off a handicap between 54 and 36 have never ever played better than their handicap in a comp. Never. So, yeah, granted, a beginner might win a comp with a ridiculously high Stableford score once. But after that, things go back to normal. And people who are stuck on a handicap over 36 do have that handicap for a reason and are no threat to better players out there, even if they are put in the same division.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I asked our h/c sec last week about this. We will have 3 men go into 28-36 but none are above. We can't be exceptional. I think a storm in a tea cup is occurring here. I'm not expecting Armageddon although we will only really find out when the season gets underway.

Something was mentioned about divisions but I confess, I didn't really listen after discovering only 3 people were going to be affected.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I asked our h/c sec last week about this. We will have 3 men go into 28-36 but none are above. We can't be exceptional. I think a storm in a tea cup is occurring here. I'm not expecting Armageddon although we will only really find out when the season gets underway.

Something was mentioned about divisions but I confess, I didn't really listen after discovering only 3 people were going to be affected.
I agree. I said this a few weeks ago - we're not suddenly going to have clubs inundated with new 50-handicappers. A couple of 28ers will go up a few shots, one or two new people might come in and be in the high 30s. That's really it. I would suspect that most golfers who are shooting 50 over par wouldn't feel ready for a full golf membership anyway. I know that me and one or two of my friends never considered joining one until we were playing to a 'reasonable' level or else we wouldn't get much enjoyment from it.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would be more worried about the pace of play than having 54 handicap hackers digging up the course, it bad enough at the moment with the current crop of hackers out there without adding a new batch.

You honestly think these same people are not playing the course already, but off 28?! :confused:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
So I've thrown it out there at our place and involved the H/C committee, as suggested by one of our Comp committee people, and they think there's not a problem. Clowns. They suggest, medals to be 2 divisions like we have now but Div 1 to be 0-14 as now and Div 2 to be everyone else!!! Don't worry we'll be on to any bandits like a flash. Yeah right. Oh and no men have been moved up higher than 28 after review but two women have gone over 36!

PS All of the men on the H/C committee play off less than 10. So any high H/C's awarded won't affect them in Division.

Why are the members of your Handicap Committee clowns?

They have looked at the changes made by the National Union and have accepted them - good for them.

As you say, nothing has changed as you don't have anyone over 28 and I'll lay odds that you won't have an initial 54 handicap while I'm still playing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Why are the members of your Handicap Committee clowns?

They have looked at the changes made by the National Union and have accepted them - good for them.

As you say, nothing has changed as you don't have anyone over 28 and I'll lay odds that you won't have an initial 54 handicap while I'm still playing.
Yeah, precisely. The bit in bold indicates that absolutely nothing has changed so far!

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally can only see this being a good thing. If it gets more people into playing comps then why not. More entries means more money in the prize fund, and more money to the club. It is likely that those in this category would improve by playing more and with better players.

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
I don't see anything wrong with handicaps up to 56, my mate took up the game 2 years ago and plays off 28 but in reality he is over that. When we play bounce games we tell him to play off 32. He was coming in with no more than 30 points with no chance of winning but now off 32 he has the same chance as us guys.

I know people think this will increase bandits but any handicap range has the potential for bandits, in that case should we all just play off scratch?

As for "hackers" holding up the course, my mate plays at a decent pace and we don't hold up the course. Golf needs to get more people involved in the sport and I see this as a positive change to enable that. I was lucky my dad taught me to play golf when I was 6 so I never really struggled when I took up the game more seriously in last few years. I look at some guys/girls who pick up there first club in there 30's-40's and give it there best shot, you see some of their shots and think that must be so demoralising but they enjoy it and strive to get better.

I just feel that if you have a handicap and are critical of someone off 28+ then its just hypocritical. I'm not saying that's right but its how I feel.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have just finished doing the reviews for the 'higher handicaps' ie those that are currently off 28. From a membership of roughly 600 men we have only increased the handicaps of 16 players to above 28 and the majority of those have only gone up by 2-3 shots the biggest increase was to 39.

I think it is far too early to be worried about the effect of the higher Congu Handicaps..

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Divisions

I have just revised the divisions in our club using the actual number of competitors who played during the last year with the aim of evening out the numbers in each.

Our Divisions are now

For club competitions where there are sufficient players to have 3divisions the handicap ranges will now be
Division 1Handicap range up to 10 inclusive
Division 2Handicap Range 11 to 15 inclusive
Division 3Handicap range 16 to 54

For club competitions where there are sufficient players to have 2divisions the handicap ranges will now be
Division 1Handicap range up to 11 inclusive
Division 2Handicap Range 12 to 54 inclusive

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Personally can only see this being a good thing. If it gets more people into playing comps then why not. More entries means more money in the prize fund, and more money to the club. It is likely that those in this category would improve by playing more and with better players.

I for one would not be giving up 4-5 hours possible 6 to play in a competitive game or bounce game with a 54 handicap golfer. It's bad enough with anyone who needs 2 shots on a hole and I bet I am not alone with this thought

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had a look at our h/c list ...

795 folk on the list. Only 15 males with handicap over 28 (and generally quite well over 28). Don't recognise many names, but of those l do, all are in the "academy" - ie very young lads, no taller than a 3 wood. I suspect the rest are. Also, 7 females with h/c over 36 - am pretty sure they too are very young girls.

Me see no problem here ....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Looked on our HDID list and we have one at 54 and one at 38. No idea if they are juniors or seniors but as long as they play promptly, be aware of players behind and are good company if I play with them, I'm not a handicap snob and won't worry about it

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

I find it quite surprising that no men whatsoever have been increased above 28, are they sure that their handicap software has been updated to take into account new changes? I would double check that with them.

They have an obligation to EGU to put people up and to create 28+ handicaps where necessary.