New Gap Wedge?

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi All

Ok, Ive discovered that there is a pretty big gap between my Sand and Pitch wedge, probably about 50 yds. S/W = 95 and P/W = 140/145 yds.

Theres a 13 degree difference in angle between the two clubs so I am thinking I need a gap wedge to bridge about 120 yds?

There are 2 clubs available to match my set an A and G wedge. Is it worth going for both clubs or just the gap wedge? My clubs are already 1" longer so I dont have a 3 or 4 iron anyway so no problem with number of clubs in the bag :)

I also have a 60* TW9 wedge which is really nice so the other question would be shall I go with the wedges to match my set of Di9s or go for a 52/56* TW9 wedge to match my other one.

I know the importance of the short game so would like to prepare well.

Thanks and sorry about the length :)
Mattie

Visit site
Normally a PW is 48 degrees so your saying your sand wedge is 61!! That gap is huge. Either go 52/56 or pull your sand wedge down to 58 or 60 and go for a 54 or 56 degrees gap wedge.

Remember its not about hitting it as far as possible, its about control

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That's the problem with Wilson, and quite a few manufacturers these days, they make their lofts quite strong.

As mentioned, normally a PW is 46\48 degrees, so you are seeing an abnormally large diff between PW and SW.

Look at a 50\52 TW9, which should give you even-ish distribution in clubs.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it depends on a number of things. Firstly, do you have room in your bag and can you afford to sacrifice a club from higher up.

Secondly, although it is quite a big gap can you fill that gap by hitting your PW a little softer or choking down on it.

If you hit a long ball (which it seems you do from your PW distances), you will probably have quite a few shots at around the 70-90 yard mark. In that case, its worth trying out your lob wedge.

But as AdamTaylorgolf says, it is absolutely about control.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah I dont have any wood or hybrids at the mo just 5-SW!

Those distance are what I hit with range balls. When I get on the course its even worse :(

I definitely need another club I reckon but as you say I could choke down and 3/4 swing etc.

I think I need to play on the course more, see where im loosing shots.

Mattie

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You definitely need something to bridge the gap. However you'll gain more by learning to hit your PW and any other wedges at no more than 3/4 capacity. They aren't designed to be hit flat out. You'll gain much more distance control and be able to control the spin as well.

Out of interest how are you measuring how far the range balls go to get the yardages?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
What a nightmare! 42.5 PW and 55 SW. That's silly.
If you are going to fill that with one club, it's going to be a bit tricky. I'd probably go for a 48 W/S wedge and see what comes. Even with a club like this, you're still going to have quite a difference between a full SW and full 48 degree wedge. (could be 20(?)yards).

I wish you luck.

- - - -

Isn't it time Wilson Staff sorted this out?

- - - -

I play with conservative lofts (even had my PW de-lofted), so if I wanted to buy a set of Wilson Staff irons that matched what I'm used to, I'd need to buy 5-PW and "think" off them as 4-9 and then two more wedges......

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yep Im definitely going to start 1/2 and 3/4 swing practice at the range.

The only way I can tell how far they go is by the markers at the range.When I get on the courses they go s*it loads longer with my balls :(

All good fun though.
I wanna make sure that my short game is really good :)

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you want your short game to be very good you need four wedges one for every 15yrds.You certainly sound like a big hitter but the previous post are right you hit your wedge too far.

EaseNgrace

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I don't quite understand the comments about wedges not being made to hit flat out and that you hit your wedge too far?
My wedge (47*) is my 150-160 yard club in the summer and I cant see the problem with hitting it that distance, I could hit a 9 iron with a shorter swing etc. but I feel distance becomes harder to control by doing so.
and in response to the OP yes you do need a Gap wedge.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hitting any club flat out is going to be harder to control than taking an extra club or two and using a smoother swing,if you can hit a wedge 150 to 160 and still be smooth then all well and good.sounds like youve been beefing up on delias home recipes.

EaseNgrace

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hitting any club flat out is going to be harder to control than taking an extra club or two and using a smoother swing,if you can hit a wedge 150 to 160 and still be smooth then all well and good.sounds like youve been beefing up on delias home recipes.

Lets say the gap wedge goes 100 yards with a full swing, I reckon I could hit 10/10 100 yard shots (+/-3 Yards). But with a 3/4 PW I wouldn't be confident to hit more than 6 or 7 that distance exactly. Maybe others find it easier to control distance than me (and Mattie), in which case it is good advice to suggest that he practices this more, although I still think the full shot is keeping things simpler.

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lol yeah it does seem a bit rediculous!

I only have 5-SW anyway so I think I will go with the 2 extra 'inbetween' clubs.

Bloody b*stards making me spend more money :(

Im going with Ping next time!

Mattie

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Agree with bobmac, the lofts are rediculous. I'd ditch the 3 iron (as it's really a 2) and add both the A and G. Should give you a reasonable spread of yardages.

I thought you hit a PW a long way, but as it's really between 8 and 9 it's not too suprising! I knew some manufacturers did make clubs stronger but no idea they did it to extremes like this. Looks like an effective way of selling a 2 iron that few would choose to buy and then selling an "extra" wedge. Total con.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes mate i feel alot more comfortable playing a full shot gives me confidence but my pro told me going down a club or two would be better,however me personally im like you i prefer a full shot.10/10 to +/-3yds you couldnt send me some of those Delia recipes could you.