What low number clubs ?

OillyRag

Visit site
Hi,
I’m a beginner to the game and I’ve just bought a set of clubs.
They’re 5-PW I already have a driver a 3 wood and a sand wedge.

What other clubs should I get to fill up my bag please?

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Hi,
I’m a beginner to the game and I’ve just bought a set of clubs.
They’re 5-PW I already have a driver a 3 wood and a sand wedge.

What other clubs should I get to fill up my bag please?
There's a gap between the 3 wood and the 5 iron and probably a gap betwwen the 9 iron and the pitching wedge if the set doesn't include a gap wedge. But, maybe as a beginner, the variation between individual hits is probably more than the gaps. Perhaps just play with what you've got and see if anything becomes obviously missing.

OillyRag

Visit site
There's a gap between the 3 wood and the 5 iron and probably a gap betwwen the 9 iron and the pitching wedge if the set doesn't include a gap wedge. But, maybe as a beginner, the variation between individual hits is probably more than the gaps. Perhaps just play with what you've got and see if anything becomes obviously missing.
Thanks Alan,
I think you’re right, I’ll hold off till I know more about the game

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Depending on how beginner you are. I would suggest using fewer clubs rather than buying more.

Learn to play with a 5 or 7 wood/hybrid, 7 and 9 iron and a wedge of some description (52° or 54° would be fine). Plus a putter obviously. It’s all you need until you are comfortable and able to strike those clubs well.

Adding more clubs just adds to confusion and frustration. Don’t get sucked into thinking you need 14 clubs. You absolutely don’t.

Watch Golf Sidekick break 100 on YouTube.

OillyRag

Visit site
Depending on how beginner you are. I would suggest using fewer clubs rather than buying more.

Learn to play with a 5 or 7 wood/hybrid, 7 and 9 iron and a wedge of some description (52° or 54° would be fine). Plus a putter obviously. It’s all you need until you are comfortable and able to strike those clubs well.

Adding more clubs just adds to confusion and frustration. Don’t get sucked into thinking you need 14 clubs. You absolutely don’t.

Watch Golf Sidekick break 100 on YouTube.

thanks mate, i'll watch that cheers

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I did just that. A bit more by circumstance than design.
For three summers played with 3 clubs and a putter until I broke 100 regularly. Broke 100 in my second summer, but wasn't doing it regularly.
For two summers played with 7 clubs and a putter until I broke 90. (2-wood, 4-wood, 3,5,7,9 and an old very lofted thing with an 8 on the sole)
Then went to 1,3,4 woods and 3-SW and putter. (13 clubs) and got down to 5 handicap in my third summer of doing that.
That was all done in the 1970s, however. ;)

Back then you had to choose 13 clubs from 1,2,3,4,5 woods and 1-SW for your irons.
So it was just a case of which 3 clubs you did not want. A popular choice was 1,3,4,5 woods and 3-SW.

For a while in the 90s and into the 21st century, I had driver and 4 wood, 1-SW.

"Can it be that it was all so simple then..."
Time does seem to have re-written things a bit.

I would tend to agree with BiMGuy, don't worry too much about the longer clubs, something from the tee and something from the fairway with some consistency. They are the more expensive clubs so don't overdo it (£) too soon.

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
Depends how often and why you play.
If you want to try to emulate pro golf, use all the available clubs, but you may not improve and get down-hearted. This will especially apply if you only play occasionally with friends and hit a lot of bad shots and 100+ rounds.
If you've joined a club and are striving to improve and hit -100, -90 etc landmarks, then I found a lot of help from limiting the long end of the bag. I eventually broke 90 by using nothing longer than a 7-iron after my tee shot and just keeping the ball in play.
Build up the bag as your skill and confidence improves.
Just a thought. I'm not an expert.

OillyRag

Visit site
Depends how often and why you play.
If you want to try to emulate pro golf, use all the available clubs, but you may not improve and get down-hearted. This will especially apply if you only play occasionally with friends and hit a lot of bad shots and 100+ rounds.
If you've joined a club and are striving to improve and hit -100, -90 etc landmarks, then I found a lot of help from limiting the long end of the bag. I eventually broke 90 by using nothing longer than a 7-iron after my tee shot and just keeping the ball in play.
Build up the bag as your skill and confidence improves.
Just a thought. I'm not an expert.
Thanks Rich,
that seems to be the theme running through this thread so I'll take all you guys advice and try and keep it simple.
cheers

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
One extra titbit....
Don't be conned into buying one of those adjustable drivers that have a high/low ball flight.

Here's an old man hitting a 9 degree Ping G5 driver low and high off the same tee.

ThinBullet

Visit site
From someone who has bought, owned and sold nearly every golf club made in the last 5 years, i'd keep it simple, cheap and use whatever looks confidence inspiring. I've got an old set of iron from 1987, that i could easily punt round a golf course, and I bet a driver, wood or whatever else from 20 years ago would do me, but I like shiny things.