New Fence - Neighbours

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Can't see what their argument is about losing light, they would only get direct sun light first thing in the morning, the sun would then move around and your houses would create shadow into the backs gardens, then once the sun has cleared the houses it would be on their side and their garden would be in direct sunlight, barring obstruction from other houses on their side.

This is what I'm doing around the boundary of my house

View attachment 14973

Looks good what you are doing - and yes - light wise you've got it. One thing they'll be thinking of is the fact that our gardens are typical old town centre gardens - long and narrow. But yes - as I look out my back window this very moment into their back garden bottom half of their garden in full sunlight - top half is in shade of their own house.

TBH - I think the light-loss thing is an excuse Mrs N has got fixed in her mind as a good reason for saying NO - because she wants to say NO as she knows my wife wants a solid 6ft fence - and she'll do whatever to pi$$ my wife off.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It sounds like their back garden is north facing, as their own house is shading a chunk of the back garden, so the sun will never shine over the disputed fence, therefore the lack of light arguement is a total red herring.

I rest my case M'lud

that will be £10000 please :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It sounds like their back garden is north facing, as their own house is shading a chunk of the back garden, so the sun will never shine over the disputed fence, therefore the lack of light arguement is a total red herring.

I rest my case M'lud

that will be £10000 please :)

If Google Maps is by default aligned north then our gardens are pretty much precisely aligned ENE

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And so - we were away for a long weekend and on our return yesterday evening - lo and behold - some of the disrepair of the fence has been repaired. Well...being pragmatic - if this means that our neighbours have been 'frightened' into taking on responsibility for maintenance of the fence - then maybe I'll leave it at that. Got the fencer coming around this evening any any case to discuss options.

Isn't life great.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The latest is that - as Mr and MrsN have sorted some basic problems with the fence whilst we were away for the weekend I shall wait to hear what they now say. Some of the posts and base boards are rotten. If they now wish to taken on responsibility for the fence they can replace the wooden posts with new ones. But they will have to accept that my Mrs will grow stuff across the trellis to block out their view into our garden. They can pay for it all and I shall put my £2000 back in my pocket until of if we decide to put something up our side of the boundary. And it wouldn't be 8ft as that would be shooting myself in the foot.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
The latest is that - as Mr and MrsN have sorted some basic problems with the fence whilst we were away for the weekend I shall wait to hear what they now say. Some of the posts and base boards are rotten. If they now wish to taken on responsibility for the fence they can replace the wooden posts with new ones. But they will have to accept that my Mrs will grow stuff across the trellis to block out their view into our garden. They can pay for it all and I shall put my £2000 back in my pocket until of if we decide to put something up our side of the boundary. And it wouldn't be 8ft as that would be shooting myself in the foot.

I thought it was Mrs Swingslike... £2k.... get it out of your pocket! :D