Battery lawnmowers

Mandofred

Visit site
A couple of weeks ago we put in an offer on a house..didn't think we would get it....but shazam, we did. So we will be selling our 3 bed detached house with a smallish lawn (likely to one of my wife's sons) and getting a 4 bed with more lawn area. Likely giving our corded mower to my step-daughter and buying a decent battery lawn mower. Anybody out there using them? Starting the research, Ego seem a bit more expensive. Greenworks looks ok with a 41cm cutting width. Trying to stay well under the £500 level. The Greenworks is in the upper £200's, although they seem to sell them with 2 wimpy 2Ah batteries (with an option for a 4Ah).

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve got a Bosch and it’s great. I don’t have massive lawns - probably about 150sqm, maybe a bit more. I’ve got two batteries and although I often don’t get all of it done on one of them, it’s easily done with two. Guess it might be over £500 (or about that)

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I went from a corded Flymo to a battery powered Mountfield. The difference was incredible. Much easier to push with it's four wheels & gives a brilliant cut. Last week I did my lawn for the first time this year. It was really too wet to cut but the Mountfield did a brilliant job. Much easier to clean than the Flymo too.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I were shopping for one today, I'd be all over this:

Great price.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
In our old house my lawn was 400m² and it took about 2 hours to cut. And that was with a 42cm lawn mower (corded). It was a Lidl unit. Didn't cost much but performed faultlessly. If we had stayed there I would probably have invested in a robot mower to keep it clipped.
At our new house, we have an artificial lawn so I brush it occassionally, but thats about it.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ryobi get excellent reviews in this area and the batteries can be used with other tools if you so wish. 2aH isn't all that wimpy if it's a 40v system. In-laws have a Greenworks with 2 x 40v 2aH batteries and it does their entire lawn twice over (100m2 approx lawn size)

I have a DeWalt mower (as I am on the battery platform anyway) and use both my 18v and 54v Flexvolt batteries with it. With 2 18v 5aH batteries I can cut front and back lawns and still have 2 bars of battery life left. The DeWalt is a heavier machine that the Groundworks though.

Mandofred

Visit site
I didn't know you could do it until I saw it on a YouTube mowing video....but Google Maps has a button that allows you to measure your lawn (or other areas) to get mowing area totals. Ours will still be under 200 square meters easily I think.

I'm mad at DeWalt, so likely won't buy their stuff. I take care of local trails/paths with a brush cutter. Bought their good battery one a couple of years ago with extra batteries. It couldn't handle the abuse I was putting it through whacking berry vines etc and I had to send it in to be repaired twice....then sold it and bought a good Stihl fs 131 that destroys most things with the mulching blade.

Seen a number of people are happy with the Greenworks mowers. The Ego ones just seem a bit too expensive, but have good reviews.

I don't need self propelled....maybe if the lawn was larger and square, but it isn't.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didn't know you could do it until I saw it on a YouTube mowing video....but Google Maps has a button that allows you to measure your lawn (or other areas) to get mowing area totals. Ours will still be under 200 square meters easily I think.

I'm mad at DeWalt, so likely won't buy their stuff. I take care of local trails/paths with a brush cutter. Bought their good battery one a couple of years ago with extra batteries. It couldn't handle the abuse I was putting it through whacking berry vines etc and I had to send it in to be repaired twice....then sold it and bought a good Stihl fs 131 that destroys most things with the mulching blade.

Seen a number of people are happy with the Greenworks mowers. The Ego ones just seem a bit too expensive, but have good reviews.

I don't need self propelled....maybe if the lawn was larger and square, but it isn't.
If you haven't already, check out that Hayter I linked to above. Normally £650, reduced to £350. I like my lawn stripey though, obviously this machine would be no good if you specifically don't want stripes.

Mandofred

Visit site
If you haven't already, check out that Hayter I linked to above. Normally £650, reduced to £350. I like my lawn stripey though, obviously this machine would be no good if you specifically don't want stripes.
Don't care about super stripes. The purchase won't happen for another couple of months....house we are moving to is occupied until 1 Sept

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I bought a G Tech cordless mower .
It’s brilliant does a great job, easy to use.
Handle folds flat.
It was £500 but they had a 50% sale on so £250.
Lawn is about 200 sq mts and no problem uses about 60% .

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
A couple of weeks ago we put in an offer on a house..didn't think we would get it....but shazam, we did. So we will be selling our 3 bed detached house with a smallish lawn (likely to one of my wife's sons) and getting a 4 bed with more lawn area. Likely giving our corded mower to my step-daughter and buying a decent battery lawn mower. Anybody out there using them? Starting the research, Ego seem a bit more expensive. Greenworks looks ok with a 41cm cutting width. Trying to stay well under the £500 level. The Greenworks is in the upper £200's, although they seem to sell them with 2 wimpy 2Ah batteries (with an option for a 4Ah).
Do you want a very good looking lawn or just a tidy looking lawn?
A rotary with wheels will give you the latter.
A rotary with a rear roller will give you a better look.
A cylinder with a rear roller will give you the best.
You will rarely if ever, see a rotary near a green

Mandofred

Visit site
Do you want a very good looking lawn or just a tidy looking lawn?
A rotary with wheels will give you the latter.
A rotary with a rear roller will give you a better look.
A cylinder with a rear roller will give you the best.
You will rarely if ever, see a rotary near a green
Grass....cut it, as simple and easy as possible. The wife likes things a little better, but even she doesn't care about the "mystical" stripes.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Grass....cut it, as simple and easy as possible. The wife likes things a little better, but even she doesn't care about the "mystical" stripes.
Before I switched to a cylinder I had a Cobra MX3440V Cordless 34cm. Excellent at just over £200.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will say firstly, I use a Honda powered LawnFlyte rotary with rear roller, shaft drive and split rear metal roller. It is quite heavy but cuts the grass so well and more importantly picks it up. Before this one I had a Hayter, self propelled petrol rotary with rear roller. It cut ok, but was absoltely terrible at picking it up or in the damp/wet.
I would never bother with anything Hayter.

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
I went cordless last year, bought a Ferrex mower from Aldi, only £200 with 3 batteries. I can get about one and a half cuts of my 250 square metre lawn per battery. The mower is much quieter than my corded model and I can do the lawn in about half the time due to not having to keep stopping to move the cord.

However, I wouldn't recommend this mower to anyone - Aldi are really poor at managing their stock levels and there's virtually no other Ferrex cordless kit available to buy, even though there should be strimmers, hedge trimmers etc that use the same batteries.

I'm about to go cordless with all my DIY and garden kit and will probably go for Bosch. Their battery system is used by a growing number of other manufacturers so I can save money by not having to buy unnecessary batteries and chargers.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Had a Bosch for a good few years and it is very very good.

However I wish I had kinda stuck to a mower that I could use the battery on other cordless tools.