Battery lawnmowers

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone considered a Robo-lawn mover? i fancy one, but cant afford it.
I guy I used to work with had one. Worked well but the grass needs to be short to start with. It works by cutting little and often, it takes the top off, doesn't collect grass. He would cut the grass with a standard mower for the first couple of cuts of the year. After that, the robot did it.

This was a few years ago. Their technology and capability may be better now. Still did the job for 95% of the year.

Mandofred

Visit site
Finally talked myself into getting one....still don't need it until 1 Sept, so no hurry....maybe they will have some late summer deals? I'll stay away from the cheaper ones and the expensive ones (£500+). If my estimates are correct, well less than 200m² total grass in several little areas. Problem is getting a mid priced one that has a big enough battery to run for 30 min without having to change batteries....like the Greenworks seems to need...although I think you can buy the larger battery somewhere.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Ryobi get excellent reviews in this area and the batteries can be used with other tools if you so wish. 2aH isn't all that wimpy if it's a 40v system. In-laws have a Greenworks with 2 x 40v 2aH batteries and it does their entire lawn twice over (100m2 approx lawn size)

I have a DeWalt mower (as I am on the battery platform anyway) and use both my 18v and 54v Flexvolt batteries with it. With 2 18v 5aH batteries I can cut front and back lawns and still have 2 bars of battery life left. The DeWalt is a heavier machine that the Groundworks though.
We have a 40 volt Ryobi rear wheel drive with a 6aH (edited from 4 Ah) battery. Can easily go over an hour of cutting (takes about an hour to cut our 500 m2 back yard). Can often get the smaller front done also. Unit is two years old without any issues. Much, much lighter and easier to handle than the previous gas mower!

Last edited:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don’t get a gtech. Used my dads today with the cut set to the highest setting and it was struggling with 6 inch high grass.