Trees Dying in the Garden

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think there is a disease conifer trees get, you see it quite often in large plantations where some of the trees go brown. Though I've no idea what its called or what causes it.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Thanks for the info. Another question if you don't mind.
How did you handle new fence posts? Drilling new holes or attaching to existing posts or ?
He dug new holes for additional fence posts and had to push the fence back into a vertical position to attach the posts and the privacy fencing to. We're glad he did all this as in the high winds earlier this year, a lot of the houses locally had their fences blown.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think there is a disease conifer trees get, you see it quite often in large plantations where some of the trees go brown. Though I've no idea what its called or what causes it.
If by conifer you mean pine.

Probably

Dothistroma needle blight (Dothistroma septosporum)

https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/t...stroma-needle-blight-dothistroma-septosporum/
Fairly common in the South West of England. We had it in the Scots Pines on the course. Nothing to be done about it with the simple advice do not plant anymore trees of the same variety. Most of the trees have recovered.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
All down to personal choice, but that fence backs on to a road and so with no fence we have no security. The trees would have eventually destroyed the fence so we had little choice but to take them down. It's still early days on brightening the fence up with plants.
Red Robin hedge row is the way to go.
1, it looks nice.
2, with a road on the back it will cut down on noise.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Another question if you don't mind.
How did you handle new fence posts? Drilling new holes or attaching to existing posts or ?

I have about 30-40 yard of fencing along the side of my house and another 20 yard along the back that is my responsibility. That fencing is all wooden posts. Over the years I have put in about 14-15 concrete posts which are bolted to the wooden posts. They will now see me out. The posts always rot in the same place. More or less ground level.
You can either bolt concrete posts to wooden posts or use plan B.
You can now get wooden posts that have tar around the post at post/ soil level.This has plastic around it. It is then heated up to melt the plastic and tar to the wooden post.It stops the post from rotting.
It is a thing of beauty, anyone having a new fence with wooden posts is a plank ( pardon the pun) if they do not get the post protection

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you mean leylandii or similar
Cypress Aphids

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have about 30-40 yard of fencing along the side of my house and another 20 yard along the back that is my responsibility. That fencing is all wooden posts. Over the years I have put in about 14-15 concrete posts which are bolted to the wooden posts. They will now see me out. The posts always rot in the same place. More or less ground level.
You can either bolt concrete posts to wooden posts or use plan B.
You can now get wooden posts that have tar around the post at post/ soil level.This has plastic around it. It is then heated up to melt the plastic and tar to the wooden post.It stops the post from rotting.
It is a thing of beauty, anyone having a new fence with wooden posts is a plank ( pardon the pun) if they do not get the post protection
I used to have a system.

As you say posts always rot at ground level.
I used to cut the original post at the bottom to remove any rotten bits.
I would fit a repair plate (ones which had the holes inside) and bolt down in to the remaining wood in the post hole and put the post in to the plate.
This would last for about 4-5 years* (my posts were oak not pine).
When the remaining wood rotted down sufficiently to make it easy to remove I would simply put a metal post spike down the hole and put the post in to that
It meant I never had to actually buy a new post and could keep the oak ones.

*judging by my neighbour 5 years seems to be the average life of a pine post. My oak posts lasted 25-30 years.

The old trick to help prevent the bottoms rotting used to be to stand them in creosote for 24 hours.

My neighbour took over responsibility for my fence and fitted a complete new run, he used concrete posts and concrete gravel boards - they look ugly in comparison but are being slowly hidden by shrubs and trees.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Red Robin hedge row is the way to go.
1, it looks nice.
2, with a road on the back it will cut down on noise.

I put one of these in last November. Can't wait till it gets up. Been told to cut to cut it back fairly hard at the start to get it to bush out more at the bottom. Patience is the key.