Storm ISHA

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Heck of a wind last night. I was out putting the covers on our furniture and was watching the garden on the camera hoping we'd get through it.
This morning, thankfully all seems to be OK with us, but walking the dog a lot of other houses in the area have had fences blown down, trees toppled and some street lighting has blown over.
I think I will probably see worse when I go out again at lunch with the dog. I feel sorry for anyone who has suffered damage in this, and I imagine it's going to take a time for the repairs to be carried out as there will be so many people wanting the work done.
I think for us, part of the issue is that the houses on our estate were built about 15 years ago and the fences are starting to rot as I don't think the original work was carried out that well.
I hope everyone on here is OK.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think for us, part of the issue is that the houses on our estate were built about 15 years ago and the fences are starting to rot as I don't think the original work was carried out that well.
One of the problems with modern fence posts is that they are made of pine wood once the post starts to rock it will often result in the panel coming apart.
15 years is a good life for a pine post

My neighbour at the back of me put in new fence panels and posts and several of them only lasted 5 years before rotting and breaking.

I got over 30 years out of most of my oak posts some never rotted out at all when the panels were replaced this year and original posts were changed to concrete.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Concrete posts are the way to go. They don't twist or rot but they are flippin heavy, especially when they are 8 ft long
I was lucky.
Although the fence is my property a new set of neighbours wanted to change it to another style and they paid for every thing. The only thing I have to do is to paint it to match the colour of the other two fence runs.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Concrete posts are the way to go. They don't twist or rot but they are flippin heavy, especially when they are 8 ft long

Yep. Concrete slotted posts with timber panels. Good chance the panel will blow out before the post breaks.

Says she with over 30 years working for one of the countries biggest manufacturers of said posts :)

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
5 panels gone....but they were on their way out and they were scheduled to be replaced this spring anyway, so no real heartache.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Around here seemed to get more damage from the storm a couple of weeks ago..even though the wind speeds were greater this time...
Maybe last time took out all the dodgy trees and fences and left the decent ones standing.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Driving home last night I had to avoid a few bins that had blown onto the A roads from the houses on the side

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I have 110ft of fencing alongside the house, and another 40ft along the bacjk of the house. I have had more flippin posts go than anyone I know. It is always the bottom where the post meets the soil.if I was to have new posts put in now I would put a plastic sleeve around the post where it meets the soil. It is usually “ heated” onto the post with a kind of bitumen seal.
But all my posts that have gone, I have took the bottom of the post out and the old concrete. Coach bolted a 5 ft concrete post to the original and all has been good. Am sure I have broke a thumb and one finger over the years smacking them with a 12lb hammer borrowed from the pit. The back fence is like that and also bolted to a railway sleeper raised flower bed. If that moves people are running round shouting earth quake.
All that said, I had a roof ridge tile blow off 3 storms back, £30 and 200 fags repair bill. Following storm, next door had 2 ridge tiles come off and 4 loose. £300 bill. Roof tile missed car on drive by 18”.
there fence onto our was replaced Saturday.
other next door neighbour had 3 tiles go last night. Blew onto next doors roof and damaged that in two places. Again just missed car on drive.
loads of fencing out taking kids to school This morning.
PS, Storm Jocelyn due to hit tomorrow ☹️

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought we had escaped but the fence on one side was wobbling quite significantly so that's the fence guy coming 🙄. 3 posts need doing, fence is 15yrs old so sounds about right.

We replaced a couple in 2020 so this is no great surprise. All of the vertical planks are still in play, interesting how they seem to go on and on.

I ended up doing a decent bit of driving today. No trees down, roofs largely all okay. This one hasn't hit us as badly as some other recent ones, yes Arwen I'm talking about you 😠

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Came home from a weekend away to find the trampoline in nextdoors garden. It’s 12x8 foot and pretty heavy, plus the fence is 6 foot high. The trampoline was anchored but the twisty pegs just came unrooted. Luckily no real damage to the fence or nextdoors garage.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When it comes to replacing fencing always read your house insurance policy.

Many years ago storm damage to fencing was excluded from the cover.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When it comes to replacing fencing always read your house insurance policy.

Many years ago storm damage to fencing was excluded from the cover.

A few years ago my mother in laws wall litterally fell down in high winds. The CCTV video was incredible to see. Luckily nobody was walking past.

The insurance paid out however if the wind hadn't been over 60mph they wouldn't have paid which is ridiculous