New Fence - Neighbours

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My wife just in from work has just laughed and shaken her head. She's right that this is probably Mrs N rather than Mr N. They are turning down us paying for a brand new fence because she thinks it'll take out some light. Well she ain't seen the density of the shrubs my wife is going to be growing if we don't gegt our fence or do as Williamalex has done.

C

c1973

My wife just in from work has just laughed and shaken her head. She's right that this is probably Mrs N rather than Mr N. They are turning down us paying for a brand new fence because she thinks it'll take out some light. Well she ain't seen the density of the shrubs my wife is going to be growing if we don't gegt our fence or do as Williamalex has done.

Bear in mind your neighbour can lop of anything on their side of the boundary provided they return the cuttings. ;)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We don't own ours as we shared the cost of putting the fence up.

So, do they ask your permission if they want to attach a hanging basket or some other type of garden object to the fence. I bet you they have things nailed on their side of the fence, have a wee peek and see.
In Scotland you can get a copy of your Title deeds/ land certificate free of charge from your mortgage provider .
This will define your communal boundaries and fences, and what you can and can't do .

TigerIsAmazing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
we put up a 6' fence all round and didnt even tell anyone- its what we wanted/needed and the current fence was a mess that fell down in any breeze- we paid it all ourselves as its what we wanted.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So, do they ask your permission if they want to attach a hanging basket or some other type of garden object to the fence. I bet you they have things nailed on their side of the fence, have a wee peek and see.
In Scotland you can get a copy of your Title deeds/ land certificate free of charge from your mortgage provider .
This will define your communal boundaries and fences, and what you can and can't do .

OK - true. And as I mentioned - they have a structure built on a shared wall - though was done well before our time so we probably have no say as to whether or not it stays

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
we put up a 6' fence all round and didnt even tell anyone- its what we wanted/needed and the current fence was a mess that fell down in any breeze- we paid it all ourselves as its what we wanted.

We could clearly build a fence our side of the existing - maybe like Willianalex use existing posts - though many existing posts are knackered. I'm going to sit on it for a few days and decide what I'll say to them.

C

c1973

Are you bigger than Mr N? If so, just do what you want and kick him in the nutz if he comes to your door complaining. :)

c1973 does not condone the use of violence. Violence has been mentioned for illustrative purposes only. Anyone using violence does so at their own risk.
:)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Are you bigger than Mr N? If so, just do what you want and kick him in the nutz if he comes to your door complaining. :)

c1973 does not condone the use of violence. Violence has been mentioned for illustrative purposes only. Anyone using violence does so at their own risk.

Yes I am - Mr and Mrs N are in the late 80s - but their son and grandsons and son-in-law and their mates are hulking beasts.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Sounds like it's Mrs N he should be scared of anyway!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sounds like it's Mrs N he should be scared of anyway!

When some years agio we took the architects plans we'd had drawn up for a really nice extension - sympathetic to our Arts and Crafts semi - she nearly had a fit - was shaking with fury...

Again it were the light that was their complaint - and as it was going to cost us a fortune in getting various experts involved so we canned the extension.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We could clearly build a fence our side of the existing - maybe like Willianalex use existing posts - though many existing posts are knackered. I'm going to sit on it for a few days and decide what I'll say to them.

If the posts are old , they're most likely too be short as well. Best concrete in new post of the correct height and spaces on your side to suit.
Get it done before their kids decide to move back in. But it is nice to see you being a little more Seville ( civil ):whoo:

Last edited:

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
When some years agio we took the architects plans we'd had drawn up for a really nice extension - sympathetic to our Arts and Crafts semi - she nearly had a fit - was shaking with fury...

Again it were the light that was their complaint - and as it was going to cost us a fortune in getting various experts involved so we canned the extension.

Theres no such thing as a right to light - no planner will turn down an application for that reason.
Older people just don't like change and you'll never reach any form of agreement with them - you are better off just getting on with a new fence your side of the boundary, job done they haven't got a leg to stand on, they keep their fence you get your new fence

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Theres no such thing as a right to light - no planner will turn down an application for that reason.
Older people just don't like change and you'll never reach any form of agreement with them - you are better off just getting on with a new fence your side of the boundary, job done they haven't got a leg to stand on, they keep their fence you get your new fence

Spot on - and a 6 FT fence doesn't require planning anyway under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have bothered to talk to them in the first place given your past history!