New drivers for 2019 .. any feedback

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been looking around tried a few but only the titleist TS2 and 3 were available now there are some more options so just wondering if any one else is looking?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
You need to go and try them.

Reviews on Youtube are next to pointless as they are all being hit by pros with 115mph swing speed and a knack for finding the middle of the club.

If you are happy / daft / rich enough to be spending £500 on a 2019 Driver then you will get the full attention of a fitter with a launch monitor and a selection of shafts / heads to try out.

D

Deleted member 25172

I went to AG today off the back of an email from them about a driver competition they called “Battle of the brands” where you can win the driver that you see the biggest improvement from your current club.

You first took 3 shots with your own driver and then you took 3 shots with:
- Callaway Epic Flash
- TM M5
- Wilson Staff D7
- Cobra F9

As said, 3 shots each, so...

The biggest gains from the above came from Wilson D7 and Cobra F9. I did hit a few more shots with the Cobra, and adjusted the loft on it and gained about 10-12 yards carry and about 15 yards total distance compared to my current driver (TM RBZ). I saw a just over 3 mph increased swing speed with the Cobra compared to my own driver, so guess that’s where the extra distance came from. The shaft used was the same type as I have for my club so perhaps there is some sort of engineering thing that makes you swing it faster due to the aerodynamics.

Callaway. Simply can’t hit Callaway clubs. It’s not that I don’t like the brand or anything, but I just can’t seem to get a decent shot with them.

TM M5. Just to expensive for me to even consider it.

Last edited by a moderator:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had heard the F9 was looking like the dark horse.
Did not get the AG email :(
So lilyhawk did you make a decision ?

D

Deleted member 3432

I have been looking around tried a few but only the titleist TS2 and 3 were available now there are some more options so just wondering if any one else is looking?

I tested the new Callaway the other day, see the review thread.

If you are using a driver fitted by a clubfitter who knows what they are doing there is little difference in centre strikes.

Off centre strikes see no drop off in ball speeds so very forgiving.

If not previously fitted or an improving golfer then plenty of options available from most manufacturers that should see decent gains. Key is to be fitted by a competant fitter who will get you into the best head/shaft combination for your swing.

Process of testing saved me a shed load of cash as I hit my own well enough not to need to replace it.

D

Deleted member 25172

I had heard the F9 was looking like the dark horse.
Did not get the AG email :(
So lilyhawk did you make a decision ?

Well, first let’s see if I’m lucky and win... :)

If not, I’d probably go with the Cobra, but honestly, I think that practise and make me more consistent with the driver will help me lower my scores more than adding on a few extra yards with a new driver.

Always fun to buy new toys though, so we’ll see if I can hold myself.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, first let’s see if I’m lucky and win... :)

If not, I’d probably go with the Cobra, but honestly, I think that practise and make me more consistent with the driver will help me lower my scores more than adding on a few extra yards with a new driver.

Always fun to buy new toys though, so we’ll see if I can hold myself.
Good luck for the win!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
If I was in the market I'd go for either the f9 or ping g410. Have the m3 at the moment and took the m5 out on course swapped my shaft into it and alternated the heads. M5 looks better slightly and has a different feel but it doesn't perform better. Lots of people are raving about the cobra f9 though, it's performing the best in terms of ball speed and the price is over £100 cheaper than some others. They are definitely on to something.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Plenty of releases out there and no doubt more to come so I'd do my research, check out the reviews and go out and hit as many as possible. It's an individual choice based on your swing and preferences

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s going to come down to what you like. (looks, brand etc..) All of them will be pretty similar. Long as you get a decent fit.
I went TS2 due to looks and feel. Ball speed was best of all I tried and have subsequently tried.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a hit with the TS2 yesterday in AG, was getting some good numbers out of it, considering no warm up etc. Would be nice to get one but could not justify the price for me, hoping to find a steal of a 917 instead and just swap the head and keep the shaft I have in my 913.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a hit with the TS2 yesterday in AG, was getting some good numbers out of it, considering no warm up etc. Would be nice to get one but could not justify the price for me, hoping to find a steal of a 917 instead and just swap the head and keep the shaft I have in my 913.
Don’t bother with the 917. Had one... for 2 months. Head isn’t one of Titleist’s best efforts. If your happy without a fitted one. The TS’s are appearing on the second hand market for sub £350 already

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have the Ts2 and it's been great so far, however tried the f9 cobra and it's even better, it sounds and feels better and dispersion is better and goes further. So I bought it. Have a fitting for the PXG driver in 2 weeks as well. Will go to it, but can't see it beating the cobra.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Don’t bother with the 917. Had one... for 2 months. Head isn’t one of Titleist’s best efforts. If your happy without a fitted one. The TS’s are appearing on the second hand market for sub £350 already
Agree, the 917 was the worst titleist driver since the 907. Was a step backwards from the 915 imo.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
My TS3 is a beast. Way more forgiving than it looks. Proper driver
I was getting 4-5mph more club head speed with the TS3 than the TS2 (think due to being an D3 player in the past) But that wasnt converted into ballspeed. The TS2 is a monster if your not a spinner (which I’m not thankfully, circa 2200k spin) I also prefer the straighter look of the TS2 face.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

I tried the F9 and the Epic Flash a couple of weeks back. I didn't test them against my own driver (M2), but I did like both of them. I wasn't swinging particularly well on the day and I don't recall there being too much difference between the two distance wise - I think my best hit with the F9 was about 2 yds more than my best with the Flash, but I did seem to keep the Cobra a little straighter. I was cutting across the ball a bit on the day, largely due to my being in the middle of a big swing change, the manager tried to help me out a bit with some solid swing advice, but he suggested it would be better to come back and give it another go in a week or two.

I went to AG today off the back of an email from them about a driver competition they called “Battle of the brands” where you can win the driver that you see the biggest improvement from your current club.

You first took 3 shots with your own driver and then you took 3 shots with:
- Callaway Epic Flash
- TM M5
- Wilson Staff D7
- Cobra F9

As said, 3 shots each, so...

The biggest gains from the above came from Wilson D7 and Cobra F9. I did hit a few more shots with the Cobra, and adjusted the loft on it and gained about 10-12 yards carry and about 15 yards total distance compared to my current driver (TM RBZ). I saw a just over 3 mph increased swing speed with the Cobra compared to my own driver, so guess that’s where the extra distance came from. The shaft used was the same type as I have for my club so perhaps there is some sort of engineering thing that makes you swing it faster due to the aerodynamics.

Callaway. Simply can’t hit Callaway clubs. It’s not that I don’t like the brand or anything, but I just can’t seem to get a decent shot with them.

TM M5. Just to expensive for me to even consider it.

I missed this in the email, and only picked up on it after reading this, and my lad mentioning it after work yesterday, think I'll go have a try at it tomorrow. :D

If I was to go on looks alone (which of course I'd never do;)), I'd go for F9, then Flash before M5/ M6, D7 or G410 though:cool:. I also think the others would have to be a pretty impressive improvement on the f9 to beat the price point.