New drivers for 2019 .. any feedback

D

Deleted member 25172

Just been down to AG to have a go at this. I tried EPIC Flash, F9, D7, M6 and M5. Hit three with my driver first, not particularly good drives, in fact pretty poor and disappointing. Then went EPIC Flash first, which gave me 47 extra yards :eek: .... but I did strike it a lot better too ;). Then tried the F9 which gave me an extra 50 yards, again, much better strikes, ball flight was better too, and happy with the outcome. Followed that up with the D7, which I'm sorry to say just felt horrible to hit. There is a big shape difference between the Wilson and the others, and it just doesn't sit right with me, still got an extra 36 yards though, but a good 10 yards behind the other two. I wasn't that fussed about the TM's to be honest, am trying to get rid of mine, but I tried them anyways. The biggest gain by far, about 55 yards, but I really didn't like the feel of the ball connection, totally different to the feel of my M2.

Things to consider. You only get three swipes with each club, including your own. I was definitely trying to keep a tempo'd swing when I started, am sure I didn't put everything into my own driver in an effort to keep the swing smooth. I know I hit my driver further than the figures I saw today, based on where I am for second shots when playing at the club. So really wasn't my best swings, but, then maybe the others weren't either. Based on my swing today, all the new drivers were considerably better than my own M2. I hate that the TM's were the longest, however, but happy that the feel was horrible. I would still plumb for the F9 or EPIC Flash out of them all, and the Cobra came out top between the two of them, in distance, ball flight and most importantly price. I'm not planning to buy until April time, but the Cobra is still top of the list for me (unless I win one of the others - but If I do, it will be offered straight back in trade in against the Cobra :love:).

And some say that it's all marketing sham about the gains with new drivers!!!

:devilish::p;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course it is a sales gimic, I totally get that :) It's a competition, if the new driver gives a distance gain over your own, you go into a draw to win a full fitting for the driver in question. 3 swipes is all you get as part of the challenge. Obviously not everyone can win, but more people that try may take up a sale if they see a better performance. My own driver was fully fitted in a proper session at an independant, I just didn't swing it well today as I stated, but even not swinging well, the newer drivers still came up a lot better. I wouldn't buy the stock driver on 3 swipes either, I would still go for a fitting before buying anything else.
Ahhh, so that's why you only gave it a gentle tap with your own driver?? :LOL: Cunning!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
And some say that it's all marketing sham about the gains with new drivers!!!

:devilish::p;)

It's quite possible that I was swinging a bit harder/ faster with the newer drivers, or maybe just a bit looser after a few more swings. there's all sorts of malarkey that could contribute, which is why I put a things to note section at the bottom. But still a big difference from my own driver.... on the swing available on the day :)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
One of the things that gets me now is that a single club priced at £349 is considered "excellent value" in some parts of the press. Now granted it's your own money so it's you how you spend it but to me it is now getting silly that the RRP of a top-of-the-range driver is £499 and nobody seems to blink an eyelid.
I'll stick with my XR16 unless someone shows me some really substantive improvements worth something that's twice the price I paid for it and still flies straight and long(ish).

D

Deleted member 25172

One of the things that gets me now is that a single club priced at £349 is considered "excellent value" in some parts of the press. Now granted it's your own money so it's you how you spend it but to me it is now getting silly that the RRP of a top-of-the-range driver is £499 and nobody seems to blink an eyelid.
I'll stick with my XR16 unless someone shows me some really substantive improvements worth something that's twice the price I paid for it and still flies straight and long(ish).

Personally, my eyelids are blinking like a strobe when it comes to the prices. I'm struggling here. Rationally, I know that a new driver won't help me that much to justify the cost, but I'm human, and we're not always rational. :) We generally tend to want new shiny things, just cause they're new and shiny.

We're one silly bunch. Or as Seinfeld would say: "People - they are the worst".

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Personally, my eyelids are blinking like a strobe when it comes to the prices. I'm struggling here. Rationally, I know that a new driver won't help me that much to justify the cost, but I'm human, and we're not always rational. :) We generally tend to want new shiny things, just cause they're new and shiny.

We're one silly bunch. Or as Seinfeld would say: "People - they are the worst".
I'm surprised nobody has brought out the Svengali range yet.

Wolf

Visit site
Am booked into to a free fitting evening at Trafford Golf Centre tomorrow with the Callaway in attendance for the Epic Flash range, they're also doing Cobra and TM but not sure if there reps will be there, only reason I'm going is its free and saves sitting in a hotel and I get to hit some shiny new bat's, I am already tempted by the new Cobra so depends how it goes I may end up booking a full fitting and going home this week with a new driver.. Not sure I'd be welcomed home with open arms though as I've got wedding suits to pay for, 😂

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It’s a legitimate part of the ‘hobby’ that people like trying new stuff & spending their time & money tinkering with their set ups.

But I generally agree with the sentiment that the new price points are over the top. I’d personally hope that companies realise they are over priced & that people are just refusing to ugrade.

Sure there will always be people that buy a new driver every 12 to 18 months, but for companies there will be a sweet spot where the ‘optimum’ number of people will be persuaded to upgrade. For me £400 to £500 is well beyond that & I’d much rather look at the second hand market. But at £300 or £350, then I’d be more tempted to look at the new gear.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i quite like the look of the new mizuno driver, its not the price putting me off its the lack of shaft options, Atmos, Kura Kage or Tensi

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I bought a Titleist TS2 11.5* stiff project x smoke shaft .
Hit it well on the fitting ,but as soon as I was on the course I was slicing everything.
Played two rounds and back to ping.
It’s up for sale if anyone is interested £350 delivered

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I bought a Titleist TS2 11.5* stiff project x smoke shaft .
Hit it well on the fitting ,but as soon as I was on the course I was slicing everything.
Played two rounds and back to ping.
It’s up for sale if anyone is interested £350 delivered
You do fully understand that’s not the club? A slice isn’t caused by a club, it can be helped to manage but the root cause will always be there

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You do fully understand that’s not the club? A slice isn’t caused by a club, it can be helped to manage but the root cause will always be there
Maybe the wrong choice of words more like a push fade ,
Fade is my normal shape but just couldn’t start it on line.
I don’t do it with my ping.
Just think the TS2 is not as forgiving. Or shaft is not loading but was fine in the fitting .
I will probably give it another go but once it’s in your head .
That’s golf.