New drivers for 2019 .. any feedback

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have to day that the F9 is tempting me to at least give it a try. Normally ignore the latest releases but Cobra have released this at a realistic price point and I suspect that by April it will be under £300.00.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was getting 4-5mph more club head speed with the TS3 than the TS2 (think due to being an D3 player in the past) But that wasnt converted into ballspeed. The TS2 is a monster if your not a spinner (which I’m not thankfully, circa 2200k spin) I also prefer the straighter look of the TS2 face.

I was getting 3,600 from my 915, regular shaft. Moving to a Tensei stiff TS3 brought that down to 2500. The difference is huge, especially in the wind. It's like the ball doesn't even move (compared to before, when it used to do a dance, the finale of which was rarely pleasing). And of course that produces extra distance, I think around 20 yards carry and a few more total which far from being a fitting phenomenon has translated to the course

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I was getting 3,600 from my 915, regular shaft. Moving to a Tensei stiff TS3 brought that down to 2500. The difference is huge, especially in the wind. It's like the ball doesn't even move (compared to before, when it used to do a dance, the finale of which was rarely pleasing). And of course that produces extra distance, I think around 20 yards carry and a few more total which far from being a fitting phenomenon has translated to the course
Did you buy the real McCoy tensei with the boron tip or just the one made for the oem manufacturers. I had a tensei blue x flex, oem spec, in my m3. Swapped it out for the tx flex with boron tip (the proper one) and what was a good shaft before feels even better spins a touch less and improved my dispersion a touch. A lot of the shafts drivers come standard with, whilst they no longer say made for on them, they are made from lower grade materials and don't perform aswell as the same shaft you'd buy direct from the shaft manufacturer.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
They are expensive shafts though and if you were buying new with the driver, you'd be looking about 700 sheets all in. If you can find one second hand though, well worth it, the improved feel is worth it on its own

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you buy the real McCoy tensei with the boron tip or just the one made for the oem manufacturers. I had a tensei blue x flex, oem spec, in my m3. Swapped it out for the tx flex with boron tip (the proper one) and what was a good shaft before feels even better spins a touch less and improved my dispersion a touch. A lot of the shafts drivers come standard with, whilst they no longer say made for on them, they are made from lower grade materials and don't perform aswell as the same shaft you'd buy direct from the shaft manufacturer.

Going to assume its the standard one chap, Titleist just sent what I was fit for. Very happy with the process and club so no need (right now) for shaft upgrades but I guess on the basis of how much the club cost itd be better to do that than try to eek out some performance from a new driver in the future.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Driver tech = emporer's new clothes.

Anyone see Rick Sheils comparing all Ping drivers from G20 thru to G400? All performed basically exactly the same (and just for giggles he said the G20 was the easiest to hit).

I had much the same experience a couple of years back comparing my old Mizuno MX700 against Ping GSF & GLS, M2, Epic & Epic subzero. Basically no difference.

shaneomac44

Visit site
I have been looking around tried a few but only the titleist TS2 and 3 were available now there are some more options so just wondering if any one else is looking?
Hey if everyone is interested i bought a TS 2 last week for 450 .. couldn't really afford it to be honest.. would let it go for 350...can supply receipt from last week

shaneomac44

Visit site
Ts2 - lower cg, higher MOI, will launch slightly higher and spin more. Basically the more forgiving and easier to hit model out of the 2
Ts2 - lower cg, higher MOI, will launch slightly higher and spin more. Basically the more forgiving and easier to hit model out of the 2
If your interested i have a brand new stiff shaft TS2 even flow let it go for 100 quid off brand new.

D

Deleted member 15717

My TS3 is a beast. Way more forgiving than it looks. Proper driver

+1 for the TS3. Gained ballspeed over the TS2 and so a no brainer. Dispersion over my 917 was so much better too

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I went to AG today off the back of an email from them about a driver competition they called “Battle of the brands” where you can win the driver that you see the biggest improvement from your current club.

You first took 3 shots with your own driver and then you took 3 shots with:
- Callaway Epic Flash
- TM M5
- Wilson Staff D7
- Cobra F9

As said, 3 shots each, so...

The biggest gains from the above came from Wilson D7 and Cobra F9. I did hit a few more shots with the Cobra, and adjusted the loft on it and gained about 10-12 yards carry and about 15 yards total distance compared to my current driver (TM RBZ). I saw a just over 3 mph increased swing speed with the Cobra compared to my own driver, so guess that’s where the extra distance came from. The shaft used was the same type as I have for my club so perhaps there is some sort of engineering thing that makes you swing it faster due to the aerodynamics.

Callaway. Simply can’t hit Callaway clubs. It’s not that I don’t like the brand or anything, but I just can’t seem to get a decent shot with them.

TM M5. Just to expensive for me to even consider it.

Just been down to AG to have a go at this. I tried EPIC Flash, F9, D7, M6 and M5. Hit three with my driver first, not particularly good drives, in fact pretty poor and disappointing. Then went EPIC Flash first, which gave me 47 extra yards :eek: .... but I did strike it a lot better too ;). Then tried the F9 which gave me an extra 50 yards, again, much better strikes, ball flight was better too, and happy with the outcome. Followed that up with the D7, which I'm sorry to say just felt horrible to hit. There is a big shape difference between the Wilson and the others, and it just doesn't sit right with me, still got an extra 36 yards though, but a good 10 yards behind the other two. I wasn't that fussed about the TM's to be honest, am trying to get rid of mine, but I tried them anyways. The biggest gain by far, about 55 yards, but I really didn't like the feel of the ball connection, totally different to the feel of my M2.

Things to consider. You only get three swipes with each club, including your own. I was definitely trying to keep a tempo'd swing when I started, am sure I didn't put everything into my own driver in an effort to keep the swing smooth. I know I hit my driver further than the figures I saw today, based on where I am for second shots when playing at the club. So really wasn't my best swings, but, then maybe the others weren't either. Based on my swing today, all the new drivers were considerably better than my own M2. I hate that the TM's were the longest, however, but happy that the feel was horrible. I would still plumb for the F9 or EPIC Flash out of them all, and the Cobra came out top between the two of them, in distance, ball flight and most importantly price. I'm not planning to buy until April time, but the Cobra is still top of the list for me (unless I win one of the others - but If I do, it will be offered straight back in trade in against the Cobra :love:).

D

Deleted member 3432

Just been down to AG to have a go at this. I tried EPIC Flash, F9, D7, M6 and M5. Hit three with my driver first, not particularly good drives, in fact pretty poor and disappointing. Then went EPIC Flash first, which gave me 47 extra yards :eek: .... but I did strike it a lot better too ;). Then tried the F9 which gave me an extra 50 yards, again, much better strikes, ball flight was better too, and happy with the outcome. Followed that up with the D7, which I'm sorry to say just felt horrible to hit. There is a big shape difference between the Wilson and the others, and it just doesn't sit right with me, still got an extra 36 yards though, but a good 10 yards behind the other two. I wasn't that fussed about the TM's to be honest, am trying to get rid of mine, but I tried them anyways. The biggest gain by far, about 55 yards, but I really didn't like the feel of the ball connection, totally different to the feel of my M2.

Things to consider. You only get three swipes with each club, including your own. I was definitely trying to keep a tempo'd swing when I started, am sure I didn't put everything into my own driver in an effort to keep the swing smooth. I know I hit my driver further than the figures I saw today, based on where I am for second shots when playing at the club. So really wasn't my best swings, but, then maybe the others weren't either. Based on my swing today, all the new drivers were considerably better than my own M2. I hate that the TM's were the longest, however, but happy that the feel was horrible. I would still plumb for the F9 or EPIC Flash out of them all, and the Cobra came out top between the two of them, in distance, ball flight and most importantly price. I'm not planning to buy until April time, but the Cobra is still top of the list for me (unless I win one of the others - but If I do, it will be offered straight back in trade in against the Cobra :love:).
You are not going to get the optimum set up for any of those clubs with 3 swipes with each.

More than 3 stock shafts for a start. Sounds like a right sales gimmick to me.

I would go and see a proper club fitter, I spent 75 mins last week hitting Epic flash and Epic flash sub zero in various head/shaft/loft combinations to find zero gains on centre strikes over my Callaway XR.

If you have not been fitted for your existing driver you should see an improvement with the new drivers especially if you are fitted properly.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
You are not going to get the optimum set up for any of those clubs with 3 swipes with each.

More than 3 stock shafts for a start. Sounds like a right sales gimmick to me.

I would go and see a proper club fitter, I spent 75 mins last week hitting Epic flash and Epic flash sub zero in various head/shaft/loft combinations to find zero gains on centre strikes over my Callaway XR.

If you have not been fitted for your existing driver you should see an improvement with the new drivers especially if you are fitted properly.

Of course it is a sales gimic, I totally get that :) It's a competition, if the new driver gives a distance gain over your own, you go into a draw to win a full fitting for the driver in question. 3 swipes is all you get as part of the challenge. Obviously not everyone can win, but more people that try may take up a sale if they see a better performance. My own driver was fully fitted in a proper session at an independant, I just didn't swing it well today as I stated, but even not swinging well, the newer drivers still came up a lot better. I wouldn't buy the stock driver on 3 swipes either, I would still go for a fitting before buying anything else.