New driver

shaun1971

Visit site
I'm looking for a new driver and the Wilson Staff Dd6+ as really caught my eye, its within the £150 I'm wanting to spend, but is there any others you can recommend, or can anyone offer an honest review on the Dd6+. :D

shaun1971

Visit site
If i played more, i would consider, but work only allows once a week play, so looks like i'm after a quick fix. I know through reading reviews and tutorials plus long discussions with my father in law, (currently playing off 4.6), and Mick (a depot manager for a company I work for, playing off 5.8) that I need a stiff flex shaft, as i push most drives down the right hand side.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome to the asylum. The Wilson has had some ok reports but I'd suggest shopping around and trying as many as you can. A word of warning though if you go to American Golf be aware they will try and flog you Nicklaus equipment.

My best advice would be to talk to your local PGA pro and see what advice he can give and what deals he can offer

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
At that sort of price you might also want to look at the MD EQL, the Benross VeloCT (which I use and love) or the Ben Sayers Benny. All of these have had great write ups and are actually are bargains around the £100 mark.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
We played a 3 ball at a "proper" golf course on Sunday.
There were 3 drivers on show, with 3 golfers off 10,11 and 12. I was the straightest (modest with it!), the Superquad guy was whupping us by 20 yards and the Wilson player was probably in the middle of the straight/distance dual. It certainly works....no doubt. If you like it, make sure you get your golf store to put you on the computer to check it's the best for your swing.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nah mate, sorry to say but that could be a load of garbage!

That could be from anything like a weak grip to a swing flaw.

Cant give you a heads up on the Wilson driver but I do have something for you, Read this.

Your going to spend £150 quid so why not get Custom? You may aswell make sure your buying the right kit to suit you. Most places only charge £25 quid for about 45 mins and you will get this back if you buy the driver (you will buy the driver when you see the results)

Going to buy a Driver on the recommendation of 2 guys with a low handicap isn't a 'quick fix'

I have a stiff shafted halo I cant hit. (I push everythin right) the shaft is TOO stiff. Stiffness in shafts is dependent on your swing speed. A launch monitor will tell you exactly what you need. There are plenty of great drivers in your budget, just tell them how much you want to spend and keep an open mind on what they make up for you. It will also tell you what kick point you need in the shaft too. I think its also worth mentioning that a custom fit is loads of fun.

I also cant help but wonder if that £150 quid would be better spent on a course of lessons with a qualified pro. That will be the quickest fix you will ever find!

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You simply can't go wrong with the Ping G5/10. Tony is right though. Custom fit is the way forward and it's free if you're buying a brand new Ping club. It was for me. Good fun too.

big_russ

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a 10.5 Dd6+ with Pro force V2 stiff shaft and i love it.
Once i had sorted out the best grip(GP full cord DD2) and the correct thickness(4 tapes) i can hit it long with a small amount of draw.
Bought it from AG and they didn't try the Nicklaus hard sell, in fact they tried pushing the G10 and Yonex more than anything else.
Give it a blast and if it feels right its as good as the rest.
Good luck with your choice whatever you decide.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
....that I need a stiff flex shaft, as i push most drives down the right hand side.

From what I've picked up over the years, a pushed shot is more the flaw of a "regular" player with a "stiff" shaft. The other way round is less common.

But, if you play off a low h'cap and hit the ball above average distance, a stiff is probably what you need anyway.
If you visit a shop with the right equipment, they will be able to give you a good answer. The "reading" equipment will give your club-head speed and then if you try a selection of things, it can tell you "where" the ball would go....

Don't buy one just because you think it will fix you, that's a daft method for such a good player. Get a custom fit, even if you end up with an £100 driver.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And don't forget that Aldila's stiff may be different to Proforce's may be different to UST's may be different to Fujikura's etc etc etc.
Even shafts from the same brand can be different in flex even though they are labelled stiff. Eg Aldila NVS, NV and DVS could all be 'stiff' but all may flex differently.
Try loads of different combo's before buying. I used to have a Benross V6 Trimass that was great but I couldn't get my head around the lime green colour....