New Driver

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well after a very late on last night out with the boys for the Superbowl, I dragged myself down to Strathclyde driving range today to try and find myself a new driver.

I went in with no favourites and was prepared to try everything! Thankfully being a Monday morning(ish) it was quiet and the guys were great and more than happy to tape up most of there stock.

I tried lower lofts (9.5 down) and higher lofts 10/10.5 as they were available. We very quickly ruled out regular shafts as swing speed is a bit too high.

So rather than prattle on more than necessary I will just list the clubs I hit today;
-Mizuno MP600
-Taylormade Burner Draw
-Callaway Hyper-X
-Taylormade Superquad
-Cobra L4V
-Ping G10

Whilst, as mentioned, I was trying to have no favourites I was secretly hoping to get on with the L4V. My first driver was an old King Cobra and I have fond memories of nailing it occasionally when I was new to the game. Unfortunately we just did not get on, did hit it well and struggled.

The same fate fell for the Hyper-x. Found it to be a very similar club to the L4V in how I hit it, ie not well!

Perhaps the two most surprising ones for me were the Mizuno and Taylormade. Neither were clubs I had actually been looking to try but both performed well for me and getting some big distances.

In the end I ruled out the Taylormade because of the 50g shaft. It was like a twig but allowed me to generate massive club head speed. Pro recommended something a bit heavier to stop me getting to fast without the timing to match! (On one occasion that I really hit it out of the screws it was fun to watch!)

Next to fall was the Mizuno. Despite hitting it reasonably well it did not inspire confidence. The head looked smaller than all the others despite them all being 460cc and I just did not like the two material grip that was on club. (New Golf Pride one I think with cord & rubber?)

So that leaves us the winner, the Ping G10. Despite not actually wanting to stock the bag full of Ping gear it has kinda ended up that way. Hit it well on the day but with room to improve, and was hitting it consistently. Distance was good and it proved to be workable enough for the times when my swing was up to the job.

Final spec;
- Ping G10
- Proforce V2 High Launch Stiff shaft
- 10.5 degree loft
- Midsize grip.

Apologies for the length of the post. If anyone actually made it to the end I hope it was mildly informative :)

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Think it was Andy that fitted me Madandra. Looking forward to heading to range tonight or tomorrow. Will try and get a video up of my untidy swing to see if I can not garner some pointers :)