New Driver - Take a punt or wait to get fitted?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wonder why club fitting is a thing then :/
Well if you have the wrong head, wrong shaft ,wrong size grip it just makes a difficult game more difficult.
Why do that when a good fitting will make it easier.
Especially with the driver .
It’s like a 7’ tall man trying to drive a mini.
He could do it but it would all go wrong eventually.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Well if you have the wrong head, wrong shaft ,wrong size grip it just makes a difficult game more difficult.
Why do that when a good fitting will make it easier.
Especially with the driver .
It’s like a 7’ tall man trying to drive a mini.
He could do it but it would all go wrong eventually.

I agree.

Which is why I was surprised with this post:

Backsticks said:
If you like the look of one, I'd say just go for it rather than waiting, for all the difference it would make to your game.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree.

Which is why I was surprised with this post:

Backsticks said:
If you like the look of one, I'd say just go for it rather than waiting, for all the difference it would make to your game.

Personally, I think so long as you know the parameters that you need from previous fittings, i.e. shaft flex, grip size, shaft length, that's probably enough.

Depending on the level of the player, I think most amateurs don't swing with enough consistency to yield significant benefit from fitting beyond that point.

However, horses for courses, I'm sure plenty will disagree and like to get fitted to the nth degree.

To backsticks point though, having a club in your hand that you like the feel of, like the look of, probably counts for as much. No point being fitted for something you don't like. For me, the answer sits in the middle, something you like and that a launch monitor backs up that you hit well, with some basic fitting is enough.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally, I think so long as you know the parameters that you need from previous fittings, i.e. shaft flex, grip size, shaft length, that's probably enough.

Depending on the level of the player, I think most amateurs don't swing with enough consistency to yield significant benefit from fitting beyond that point.

However, horses for courses, I'm sure plenty will disagree and like to get fitted to the nth degree.

To backsticks point though, having a club in your hand that you like the feel of, like the look of, probably counts for as much. No point being fitted for something you don't like. For me, the answer sits in the middle, something you like and that a launch monitor backs up that you hit well, with some basic fitting is enough.
The few fittings I've done, they've always asked what sort of thing you are looking for and made sure you actually look the look of what I'm using. I don't think many fitters would try and force you into something you think is ugly.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The few fittings I've done, they've always asked what sort of thing you are looking for and made sure you actually look the look of what I'm using. I don't think many fitters would try and force you into something you think is ugly.

Of course, my point was simply that it's not purely a numbers game. And actually that there is considerable value in having a club that you like. Some people take their confidence from the data in a fitting, others take their confidence from feel / aesthetics. There's no right or wrong approach. I doubt the numbers would actually that different between the top models these days anyway.