Fitting - is it worth it?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is a massive difference between manufacturers

Please give it up, this is just nonsense. The more a ball spins the more it will rise or go sideways depending on that spin, I don;t know how to make this simple enough for you to understand
I understand that fully. What effect with these changes have on ones golf score or shot quality though ? Numbers on a screen are just numbers on a screen. Where is the correlation between changing any of these parameters, and golf performance.
The implied proposition of club fitting is that it will change golf performance. Saying this or that lie angle, loft, weight position will change launch angle or back spin does not make the case for that fundamental proposition.
As I said, I am open to such a justification of someone can make it.

Average 15 HI. Plucks 10 drivers off the shelf, regular, stiff, high launch, low spin, draw bias, turbulators, batwing, jailbreak, flat lie, the lot.

What would be the variation in his HI if he played a hypothetical season with all of those drivers ? ie. No fitting, just totally randomised specs (nothing crazy : no hickory shaft, frying pan stuck to a 1/2" pipe, etc".)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Would you consider then that going to a single manufacturer 'fitting' is not worth it ?
I did do a single manufacturer fitting for my irons. It took an hour and 15 minutes.

To go through the same process with a choice of manufacturers would have taken a long time.

I went to Titliest because I like the look of their irons behind the ball. Which is important to me. They also go through the process with more than just a 7 iron.

The difference in ball flight and dispersion was night and day different to the Pings I had.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Would you consider then that going to a single manufacturer 'fitting' is not worth it ?
It is certainly better if you can try multiple brands for sure.

When I did fitting I came across a lot of Taylormade fan boys, it was at the time of the first rocketballz irons and I think R11, there was only one customer who should have walked out with the RBZ all year and he was a very high handicap and a friend of the boss so I remember him well even now, basically missed everything in the shop until I grudgingly gave him the RBZs which he hit really well (TMs customer service & delivery times were awful, and I'd got used to them also not being the best kit for anyone, so yes some bias on my part), most should have taken the Ping G20 irons & hybrids which was by far the best performing GI iron of the year for most who tried fitting, but sometimes you can only lead a horse to the water. Ultimately if someone doesn't (or does) want something then stats are not going to change their minds

There was no incentive or bonus for us pushing one brand over another, just try to get the best fit for someone, and there was even a couple occasions where we couldn't put a new driver in someone's hands, what they had already performed better than any of the new stock and they were told so, decision is then on them

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I understand that fully. What effect with these changes have on ones golf score or shot quality though ? Numbers on a screen are just numbers on a screen. Where is the correlation between changing any of these parameters, and golf performance.
The implied proposition of club fitting is that it will change golf performance. Saying this or that lie angle, loft, weight position will change launch angle or back spin does not make the case for that fundamental proposition.

Average 15 HI. Plucks 10 drivers off the shelf, regular, stiff, high launch, low spin, draw bias, turbulators, batwing, jailbreak, flat lie, the lot.

What would be the variation in his HI if he played a hypothetical season with all of those drivers ? ie. No fitting, just totally randomised specs (nothing crazy : no hickory shaft, frying pan stuck to a 1/2" pipe, etc".)
I got a new Ping 425 driver start of 2022 season, I was going in looking for the 425Max, the spin rates were absolutely ludicrous, I'd have struggled to get it much out past 200yards. Changed to the SFT and spin rate and flight came way down. You can't say what effect it would have, other than playing from so much further back on every driver hole means higher scores are guaranteed

Now that's for me, clearly others who hit the Max won't have those issues or nobody would buy them, but my swing and that club were an utter non-starter, and yet a very similar club from same manufacturer with same shaft performed unbelievably differently

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I got a new Ping 425 driver start of 2022 season, I was going in looking for the 425Max, the spin rates were absolutely ludicrous, I'd have struggled to get it much out past 200yards. Changed to the SFT and spin rate and flight came way down. You can't say what effect it would have, other than playing from so much further back on every driver hole means higher scores are guaranteed

Now that's for me, clearly others who hit the Max won't have those issues or nobody would buy them, but my swing and that club were an utter non-starter, and yet a very similar club from same manufacturer with same shaft performed unbelievably differently

I went for a driver fitting a good while back with an independent. One of the drivers I tried was the TM Aeroburner. OMG! At the time I might have hooked a few shots a season. Every single drive hooked badly. It was a bizarre experience to go from a 5yd fade to a 20yd hook, and into the rough every time. If ever there was an example, for me, of not buying off the shelf that was it. Imagine going in cold, buying off the shelf and then taking it out on the next Saturday…

Is it worth, say, a 15 handicapper going for a full on fitting? I’d say a decent fitter will see past the rogue shots and see a level of consistency that would allow a reasoned recommendation. But it also needs some honesty from the buyer. I’ve been 10 mins into a fitting and it’s been pretty obvious that my swing is still at home. I told the guy I wanted to stop and rebook, which they’ve taken on board every time.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site

What I will tell you is that I've only had one driver that I have ever trusted, and that's the one I went to an independent fitter for. Ping G425 SFT.
My playing handicap before that driver, with the Callaway Rogue, was around the 13 mark, sometimes as low as 11, and as high as 14 for around 5 years.
Post fitting, my playing handicap is now 9. Yes, 9. And that is absolutely attributable to the newly fitted driver. Maybe not 100%, but I can tell you now, I've never been in play off the tee each round as much in my life. Head combined with face has kept side spin lower than ever before, and the peak window is as good as I'll get it.
So there's my variation in handicap for you right there and that's the last I'm saying on the subject to you, because no matter what I tell you, it's going to be ignored.

CountLippe

Visit site
I do not understand people saying not to get fitted. How can being fitted make you any worse, it can only help you get better. There is no way I can play with off the shelf clubs, I am 6'3. Earlier in the year when I was back in England I didn't bring my clubs with and just borrowed some off a friend. These were clubs I know too well from owning a set a few years ago (716MB, even had the right shafts in). One problem became apparent, I had not used a set of standard clubs since I can't remember.

So what was the problem? They were standard length and 2* upright. My clubs are 1" long and 2* flat. The shorter clubs did not really matter, but the longer irons I was struggling to control them, I could literally feel the heel digging into the ground. I had to make some swing alterations and then I could hit them better. So the question is could I shoot in the low 70s regularly with these clubs, the answer is no.

So as a golfer looking to play his best should you e fitting your swing to your clubs, or your clubs to your swing? Can I play with an clubs, yes, just as long as they are longer and have the correct lie. I would go as far as to say the shaft IMO does not matter as much as getting the lie and length correct. Just give me any iron shaft that will keep the spin down and I will play with any of them.

I went for a Callaway iron fitting, after about five shots with my current 7 iron the fitter was able to identify what would be the optimum head / lie angle / shaft. I hit the demo in this spec for another 5 - 10 shots, the fitter then basically said "we can spend half an hour trying other options but this is you". Interestingly, of all the numbers it was descent angle he seemed to pay most attention too.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it worth, say, a 15 handicapper going for a full on fitting? I’d say a decent fitter will see past the rogue shots and see a level of consistency that would allow a reasoned recommendation. But it also needs some honesty from the buyer. I’ve been 10 mins into a fitting and it’s been pretty obvious that my swing is still at home. I told the guy I wanted to stop and rebook, which they’ve taken on board every time.
I feel well-placed to answer this. 😄 I've had fittings, I think the outcome you're looking for is probably different to what a low capper is looking for. You probably go less in-depth on the numbers, and look a little bit more at the forgiveness, as well as distance of course. I'd basically be opting for the one I find easiest to hit, where the misses weren't too bad. For example, the irons I've ended up with - they were a good 5-10 yards longer and also straighter than most of the others I tried so it was a bit of a no-brainer to pick them. Cobra LTDs (I think) were the next best but had a slightly lower flight so we went with the Callaways. Back when I did the driver fitting it was nearly 5 years ago, so at that time I just wanted the driver that would cover a slice without losing too much distance - the Ping that I got and the Callaway Rogue were both good, just opted for the Ping in the end as I was used to using Pings already.

I have also done an iron fitting with Orka that we terminated after 20 minutes because I was having an awful striking day and we couldn't get any worthwhile data. He was decent enough not to charge me and said let's just do it another day. Of course I was too embarrassed to return so they never saw me again. 😅

BiMGuy

Visit site
A good fitter should be able to help mitigate any swing for any given ability level.

I took my 50 HC son to an independent fitting centre last month as he’s grown out of his junior clubs.

All I wanted was good indication of the best length and weight clubs for him.

The fitter spent well over an hour trying lots of different options for irons and driver. The difference was night and day from where he started to the consistency he was getting at the end.

No, that could just be that he’d found a swing during the fitting. I’d say it was a great blind test because the boy had absolutely no idea about the brands or that shafts come in different weights or flex. He just hit whatever the fitter gave him.

It did highlight how important weight was compared to flex.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I feel well-placed to answer this. 😄 I've had fittings, I think the outcome you're looking for is probably different to what a low capper is looking for. You probably go less in-depth on the numbers, and look a little bit more at the forgiveness, as well as distance of course. I'd basically be opting for the one I find easiest to hit, where the misses weren't too bad. For example, the irons I've ended up with - they were a good 5-10 yards longer and also straighter than most of the others I tried so it was a bit of a no-brainer to pick them. Cobra LTDs (I think) were the next best but had a slightly lower flight so we went with the Callaways. Back when I did the driver fitting it was nearly 5 years ago, so at that time I just wanted the driver that would cover a slice without losing too much distance - the Ping that I got and the Callaway Rogue were both good, just opted for the Ping in the end as I was used to using Pings already.

I have also done an iron fitting with Orka that we terminated after 20 minutes because I was having an awful striking day and we couldn't get any worthwhile data. He was decent enough not to charge me and said let's just do it another day. Of course I was too embarrassed to return so they never saw me again. 😅

Still love my driver. Missed 4 fairways all day

One in bunker

2 just first cut and great position

Only one terrible one

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A good fitter should be able to help mitigate any swing for any given ability level.

I took my 50 HC son to an independent fitting centre last month as he’s grown out of his junior clubs.

All I wanted was good indication of the best length and weight clubs for him.

The fitter spent well over an hour trying lots of different options for irons and driver. The difference was night and day from where he started to the consistency he was getting at the end.

No, that could just be that he’d found a swing during the fitting. I’d say it was a great blind test because the boy had absolutely no idea about the brands or that shafts come in different weights or flex. He just hit whatever the fitter gave him.

It did highlight how important weight was compared to flex.
He won recently as well so a good story on fitting.
well played to the lad.

He will grow out of them quickly so it’s going to cost you.😂😂

BiMGuy

Visit site
He won recently as well so a good story on fitting.
well played to the lad.

He will grow out of them quickly so it’s going to cost you.😂😂
Don’t even joke about that.

Because, he has just had another growth spurt, and the irons I got him 6 weeks ago are only just the right length. The rate he’s growing at is silly.
They are going to be bent a bit more upright for him so will be ok for a while yet.

Luckily, I got him a set of second hand irons at a very reasonable price on eBay and might make a slight profit on them.

His driver, wedges and putter are all adult length so will be fine for a while yet.

I made a deal with him that when he breaks 100 on our 65 course (equivalent to most places yellow tees) I will buy him a set of new clubs. That might be sooner than I had planned for.
But, still cheaper than his sister’s sporting endeavours over the years.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don’t even joke about that.

Because, he has just had another growth spurt, and the irons I got him 6 weeks ago are only just the right length. The rate he’s growing at is silly.
They are going to be bent a bit more upright for him so will be ok for a while yet.

Luckily, I got him a set of second hand irons at a very reasonable price on eBay and might make a slight profit on them.

His driver, wedges and putter are all adult length so will be fine for a while yet.

I made a deal with him that when he breaks 100 on our 65 course (equivalent to most places yellow tees) I will buy him a set of new clubs. That might be sooner than I had planned for.
But, still cheaper than his sister’s sporting endeavours over the years.
Put all their sporting prowess down to your genes and make sure you tell them. 👍

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
With the club fittings days, do you have to be in the market for some new clubs or can you go along, get some advice and leave? We’ve had a few at my club but I’ve never gone along because I could never afford brand new clubs.
As if by magic, titleist are doing a no obligation fitting day at the club on a Saturday in a couple of weeks, I’m booked in. Excited to see what comes from it.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
As if by magic, titleist are doing a no obligation fitting day at the club on a Saturday in a couple of weeks, I’m booked in. Excited to see what comes from it.
I'd totally missed my away club was doing a Ping day yesterday, popped along on off chance, day after the S159 wedges were announced, the new W grind is exactly what I needed, pro bags another sale :LOL:

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I seriously can’t see a negative in club fitting, unless you got someone who was absolutely terrible at their job.
Ive been fitted for driver and planning to get irons next month.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I seriously can’t see a negative in club fitting, unless you got someone who was absolutely terrible at their job.
That would be the AG fitters I have had then. Aside from that I agree and it does, where a fitting has multiple makers to choose from, allow someone to try all of them and start to narrow the massive market choice down. That has to be a big plus in itself

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
That would be the AG fitters I have had then. Aside from that I agree and it does, where a fitting has multiple makers to choose from, allow someone to try all of them and start to narrow the massive market choice down. That has to be a big plus in itself
I’d not tar everyone with the same brush, there could be excellent fitters at some AG’s and some not, just like golf clubs up and down the country, you get good and bad.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’d not tar everyone with the same brush, there could be excellent fitters at some AG’s and some not, just like golf clubs up and down the country, you get good and bad.

I agree. I went for a AG fitting for my irons. Sure wasn't a massive fit but it was enough to try different clubs and shafts

He said at the time my speed matched graphite but my numbers were better with steel so didn't upsell me

But then this guy used to fit for John letters

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I got a new Ping 425 driver start of 2022 season, I was going in looking for the 425Max, the spin rates were absolutely ludicrous, I'd have struggled to get it much out past 200yards. Changed to the SFT and spin rate and flight came way down.
By how much, 200-300 rpm. Is there really a golf performance effect in a few hundred rpm ?