Fitting - is it worth it?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At least those who go to a manufacturer fitting, or even a single model fitting, are at least recognising that there is no difference between the clubs of different brands. And so limiting the fitting to lie, lofts, swingweights etc. Brand being just a preference for the marketing story or colour of the club graphics, rather than anything related to performance differences.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Funny story circulating online about Sergio. His dad was a fairly good golfer playing to a good standard.

TM had made up custom irons for Sergio and his dad. Sergio ended up taking his dad's set in error, wrong lie, S shafts, etc. ... Sergio went on go win a tour event that week :ROFLMAO:
What are the chances of average golfer going to 10 different fittings and coming out with the same prescription ? It would be an interesting experiment. But club fit afficionados might fear the outcome would be closer to ten spins of a roulette wheel. I would like to see such study, as I keep an open mind for the case that any justification for club fitting being worth it might arise.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are so many strawmen (and drivers that go straight right ob) on this thread, I can't see why I can't add another one....
The OP is questioning the worth.
Fitting is (mostly) a ruse by the industry to get golfers to part with full retail, rather than go on the bay and getting essentially the same kit for half price.
If a golfer has £500 to spend, I'd argue that £250 of kit + £250 of lessons would make someone a better golfer that £500 of fitted kit.
Therefore fitting is not worth it.
QED. i rest my case mlud etc etc
I think once there is any breaching of questions like, what brand would you like to try?, how does that feel?, have you tried graphite shafts?, do you like the look of those?, then any pretence of objective science is gone, and proof that it is just a delux, time intensive, sales patter. A truly measured fitting, if such existed, would have the fitte4r take measurements, and present the spec : "Wilson Dynapower, 1/4" short, 1deg flat. Dont buy the irons below 6, you cant hit them", or such.

TigerBear

Visit site
What are the chances of average golfer going to 10 different fittings and coming out with the same prescription ? It would be an interesting experiment. But club fit afficionados might fear the outcome would be closer to ten spins of a roulette wheel. I would like to see such study, as I keep an open mind for the case that any justification for club fitting being worth it might arise.
In total agreement Backsticks.

Dare I say, the average golfer would come out with 10 very different fittings, with it being how well (or poorly!) said golfer was swinging during each assessment.

Personally, I think general agreement with a pro on flex and length of shaft would suffice for my club competition needs.

Place your bets, place your bets!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Whatever process you go through, whatever clubs you end up with, for whatever reasons, something else might be much better, because you have taken the least worst of those available.
Your search for those "best" clubs must continue.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Dare I say, the average golfer would come out with 10 very different fittings, with it being how well (or poorly!) said golfer was swinging during each assessment.

Personally, I think general agreement with a pro on flex and length of shaft would suffice for my club competition needs.

Angle of attack and dynamic loft will be fairly consistent to a certain degree. Most fitters will be able to recommend a loft for a driver. I'd be very surprised if one fitter gave someone am 8 degree driver and another gave the same player a 12 degree. It just wouldn't happen imo.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
At the amateur level I believe in a fitting process of sorts, I definitely believe in trying new clubs first and trying different heads and shafts, but I personally don't get too caught up in launch monitor data. When you've got the right head and shaft combination you don't need a launch monitor to tell you what's right, the ball flight and strike will tell you what's right. That's what you really need to pay attention to. Also focus on what 'feels' right for you. The best fittings I've ever had I basically fit myself, without a launch monitor, just bashing balls and watching the ball flight, listening to the sound of the strike and tuning in to which one felt most comfortable for me to swing. If a club isn't quite right it'll tell you, you'll mishit more, it'll be harder to get the ball in the air, it'll feel like you've got to work harder.

I'm quite fortunate in that I've got a good relationship with the local range where I get all my equipment from so it enabled me to take a club from the fitting bay and a few different shafts and I spend a good hour trying them in a bay. Within 5-10 minutes I'm usually able to whittle it down to 2 heads / shafts and then I spend more time hitting those 2. On the most recent occasion there was little to separate two clubs performance wise so I went with which one which felt the best. Feel is hard to describe but think of it in terms of how easy does it feel to swing the club and how does it release through the ball.

I can appreciate that not everyone will be able to do it this way but if you can, go into your local range (if they do fittings) and just ask if you can try a club yourself in a bay to get an initial feel for it. There's also less pressure when you haven't got someone watching over you and you feel like they're judging your swing.

Best post on this thread so far for me.

Everything seems to be a numbers game now and launch monitor “numbers” seem to be taken as gospel, which influences, or attempts to, purchase decisions.

These numbers are more often than not captured off a mat, a perfect flat lie, on a simulator. News flash, none of these conditions are reflective of real world golf.

Get all the numbers you want, but you need to see the real ball flight and trust your instincts. Does it feel right to you, do you like how it looks.

People get so wrapped up in “numbers” that are not indicative of real golf.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are so many strawmen (and drivers that go straight right ob) on this thread, I can't see why I can't add another one....
The OP is questioning the worth.
Fitting is (mostly) a ruse by the industry to get golfers to part with full retail, rather than go on the bay and getting essentially the same kit for half price.
If a golfer has £500 to spend, I'd argue that £250 of kit + £250 of lessons would make someone a better golfer that £500 of fitted kit.
Therefore fitting is not worth it.
QED. i rest my case mlud etc etc

I think a good fitting is worth the money

Pay it and then use the specs and buy it second hand off eBay

You can easily find a set of irons in the spec you been fitted for without going new

D

Deleted member 35577

I would never buy a new set of irons without getting fitted.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Everything seems to be a numbers game now and launch monitor “numbers” seem to be taken as gospel, which influences, or attempts to, purchase decisions.

These numbers are more often than not captured off a mat, a perfect flat lie, on a simulator. News flash, none of these conditions are reflective of real world golf.

Get all the numbers you want, but you need to see the real ball flight and trust your instincts. Does it feel right to you, do you like how it looks.

Yes .
I had a fitting on our practice ground from a mobile Trackman fitter.
Real balls off grass.
I still asked for a demo iron to take on the course to test it over a few days.

Bought Callaway apex after they were the best of the best!

D

Deleted member 35577

I'm very fortunate, my club has a full fitting studio and a decent practice range. After my driver fitting last week I took the club onto the practice ground to see the real flight and next time I played 2 days later they gave me the demo club in my spec to take out with me.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do not understand people saying not to get fitted. How can being fitted make you any worse, it can only help you get better. There is no way I can play with off the shelf clubs, I am 6'3. Earlier in the year when I was back in England I didn't bring my clubs with and just borrowed some off a friend. These were clubs I know too well from owning a set a few years ago (716MB, even had the right shafts in). One problem became apparent, I had not used a set of standard clubs since I can't remember.

So what was the problem? They were standard length and 2* upright. My clubs are 1" long and 2* flat. The shorter clubs did not really matter, but the longer irons I was struggling to control them, I could literally feel the heel digging into the ground. I had to make some swing alterations and then I could hit them better. So the question is could I shoot in the low 70s regularly with these clubs, the answer is no.

So as a golfer looking to play his best should you e fitting your swing to your clubs, or your clubs to your swing? Can I play with an clubs, yes, just as long as they are longer and have the correct lie. I would go as far as to say the shaft IMO does not matter as much as getting the lie and length correct. Just give me any iron shaft that will keep the spin down and I will play with any of them.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
But it isnt. It is a question of magnitude. Many people believe what you are saying, and thus believe fitting is worth it. But it has no scientific basis. People are mesmerised by the numbers, but the number in themselves do not affect the golfing result. I dont think I can be clearer - but that so many miss this point, is the very reason they swallow the fitting delusion.
Please give it up, this is just nonsense. The more a ball spins the more it will rise or go sideways depending on that spin, I don;t know how to make this simple enough for you to understand

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
At least those who go to a manufacturer fitting, or even a single model fitting, are at least recognising that there is no difference between the clubs of different brands. And so limiting the fitting to lie, lofts, swingweights etc. Brand being just a preference for the marketing story or colour of the club graphics, rather than anything related to performance differences.
There is a massive difference between manufacturers

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I think once there is any breaching of questions like, what brand would you like to try?, how does that feel?, have you tried graphite shafts?, do you like the look of those?, then any pretence of objective science is gone, and proof that it is just a delux, time intensive, sales patter. A truly measured fitting, if such existed, would have the fitte4r take measurements, and present the spec : "Wilson Dynapower, 1/4" short, 1deg flat. Dont buy the irons below 6, you cant hit them", or such.
That's exactly how a fitting would conclude, you really really do need to stop showing your ignorance

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
There is a massive difference between manufacturers
There's also a massive difference between a range of an individual OEM's offers too. Ping G425 to Ping Blueprint T? I could use either, but not very well with either! Neither are suited to my swing mechanics, ability and visual aesthetic.
But I've given up trying to convince some on this forum!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

You really shouldn't he's making a fool of himself.

Back to my own experience, a good mate of mine came in to get fitted, after I'd done him he said he was off to the local driving range to be fitted by "real pros", he came back, they'd given him the exact same spec I did. Making up theories isn't really helping his argument