Fitting - is it worth it?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I seriously can’t see a negative in club fitting, unless you got someone who was absolutely terrible at their job.
Ive been fitted for driver and planning to get irons next month.
The negative might be that it is no better than voodoo or spinning a roulette wheel. But for a fee. I would agree it certainly doesnt do harm. But quite a difference to say it does any good.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As if by magic, titleist are doing a no obligation fitting day at the club on a Saturday in a couple of weeks, I’m booked in. Excited to see what comes from it.
If fitting is a thing, why would anyone go single manufacturer, and eliminate 90% of the configuration from the off ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’d not tar everyone with the same brush, there could be excellent fitters at some AG’s and some not, just like golf clubs up and down the country, you get good and bad.
Very true and my issues have been documented here before but two stores in close proximity were both very poor so I don't know if that was down to perhaps poor training locally. I am sure there are club pros and other fitting centres people would argue aren't very good so you will always get good and bad.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think what happens with custom fitting is the same as when people say that they wish they could take their range game to the course. What I mean by that is when you are in the fitting it is easier to swing away without any care, like when you are on the range and everything is good. When I got fitted for my driver I did my best to use the swing I would use on the course. Once I found the right setup for me I did have a mess around with some other shaft options and head settings just to see. What i saw was I started to get another 20+ yards, but that was not realistic as that is not how I would swing on the course, as it is not reliable enough. So if I had got fitted initially to that then I would be going onto the course using something that is not going to work, even though the fitting bay said it would.

It is easier to go and get fitted and then walk away with something that does not work and blame the fitter. But he can only work with what you bring to the fitting. If you do not bring your normal gamer swing then he can not be blamed. One thing is though, I never go for just one fitting. I always go back for a second one to make sure that I was not just having a day when the swing was perfect. I need a driver that will work 90% of the time, not 10%

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think what happens with custom fitting is the same as when people say that they wish they could take their range game to the course. What I mean by that is when you are in the fitting it is easier to swing away without any care, like when you are on the range and everything is good. When I got fitted for my driver I did my best to use the swing I would use on the course. Once I found the right setup for me I did have a mess around with some other shaft options and head settings just to see. What i saw was I started to get another 20+ yards, but that was not realistic as that is not how I would swing on the course, as it is not reliable enough. So if I had got fitted initially to that then I would be going onto the course using something that is not going to work, even though the fitting bay said it would.

It is easier to go and get fitted and then walk away with something that does not work and blame the fitter. But he can only work with what you bring to the fitting. If you do not bring your normal gamer swing then he can not be blamed. One thing is though, I never go for just one fitting. I always go back for a second one to make sure that I was not just having a day when the swing was perfect. I need a driver that will work 90% of the time, not 10%
You make a lot of sense but a lot of the fitters I know locally (Precision Golf etc) will fit you and you can then go back at a later date and they will re-assess and within reason adjust. I don't know if I have a range swing and playing swing, just one has more consequence than the other in terms of affecting scores or having another go

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
By how much, 200-300 rpm. Is there really a golf performance effect in a few hundred rpm ?
There would be obviously, but it was much more than that, but two years ago now so I can't remember exactly what, but thousands not hundreds. But again yes, I appreciate you have no understanding, but the figures for the more forgiving club were appalling for me

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As if by magic, titleist are doing a no obligation fitting day at the club on a Saturday in a couple of weeks, I’m booked in. Excited to see what comes from it.
Had this at the weekend, really enjoyed it. Tried out all of their heads and a few shafts, it came out that they’d recommend the T200, 2° upright to counteract my slight over the top swing.

£1250! I couldn’t sleep if I spent that much on 7 clubs, so I politely declined to purchase. However, used the information to purchase some second hand clubs, feel a bit more confident on what I need to suit my swing now.

Would definitely recommend attending one if you get chance. Its amazing what difference the shafts and lie angles can make.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Had this at the weekend, really enjoyed it. Tried out all of their heads and a few shafts, it came out that they’d recommend the T200, 2° upright to counteract my slight over the top swing.

£1250! I couldn’t sleep if I spent that much on 7 clubs, so I politely declined to purchase. However, used the information to purchase some second hand clubs, feel a bit more confident on what I need to suit my swing now.

Would definitely recommend attending one if you get chance. Its amazing what difference the shafts and lie angles can make.

It absolutely is. (y)

pandora

Visit site
Its quite open and shut that fitting, other than for tour pros, is a sales technique : for club sellers to sell clubs, and for fitter to sell the illusion of fitting being a thing.
Best is to buy whatever colour, brand, sales slogan catches your eye : its the marketing you are about to pay for that has made that decision for you anyway.
Maybe that is not so true these days, when launch monitors can measure all kinds of variables, and the golfer can see for themselves what might be gained by a changed and make a difference worth spending on.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
Maybe that is not so true these days, when launch monitors can measure all kinds of variables, and the golfer can see for themselves what might be gained by a changed and make a difference worth spending on.
From reading his posts I think he’s just anti-new things in order to be contrary.
I’d ignore his thoughts if I were you.