New addition to game - slice irons

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi,

I've been having trouble lately with pushing the ball, so went out tonight with the aim of keeping my left arm more connected (the 'headcover under armpit' drill). I think it was starting off straighter, but I found that I had quite a large slice going on, so I was still ending up right.

I did twist my right ankle playing rugby last week and it's still not quite right. Is it possible that the slice was caused by my not being able to push off my right foot as hard as normal so my weight wasn't getting transferred properly?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
This may not help, but if I practise with something under my left armpit (which I do from time to time) it messes up my follow through after impact drastically. I'd expect to hit a lot of slices t.b.h.

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was wondering about that. Presumably by throwing my arms further forward I caused my push but also helped transfer my weight. Keeping my arms in will bring my weight back slightly so I need to push it further forward than before in order to offset that.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I too have tried the under the arm headcover drill as part of a lesson, the pro told me to completely forget about it once you're at the top of the backswing. Until I started to do that, slices were high!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the drill where you hold head covers or a towel between your armpits and chest is only workable for half shots. If you try to do this with a full backswing or follow through then you will restrict your rotation.