New member what to do

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
The person may just as easily have gone to the shops where there is no requirement to sign in. Such are the wonders of all these new fangled gadgets that were my wife to be unfortunately taken ill they would probably try something I carry that is called a mobile phone.
Everyone can invent a scenario where something could conceivably help ,it is not normally a health and safety requirement to let someone know where you are every time you step outdoors thank goodness. Inventing H&S reasons is idiocy.

There is a world of difference in going to the shops....a well populated location with people at counters etc etc, compared to the potential remoteness of a hole far away from the clubhouse on a golf course in middle of the evening.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is a world of difference in going to the shops....a well populated location with people at counters etc etc, compared to the potential remoteness of a hole far away from the clubhouse on a golf course in middle of the evening.
The 6th hole is hardly Outer Mongolia.
Personally I cycle, shop, walk the dog , walk without the dog frequently. None of these activities will result in people having any better an idea of where I am than if I'm on a golf course without kowtowing to satisfy bureaucratic idiocy.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I can see how that may have been the case with track and trace but otherwise not so sure

This precedes track and trace. The club insists we register in the shop before playing. I really need a definitive answer as to why, because I really don’t buy the insurance angle. Like most golfers I have my own cover anyway.

RichA

Visit site
Pre or post COVID, I can't think of any club or service that I've been a paying member of or subscriber to where I haven't been required to book, sign or scan in.
I find the idea of expecting to just rock up and wander about like I own the place a bit odd.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pre or post COVID, I can't think of any club or service that I've been a paying member of or subscriber to where I haven't been required to book, sign or scan in.
I find the idea of expecting to just rock up and wander about like I own the place a bit odd.
If it's a member's club as a member you do in part own the place.
Personally I've no objection to booking, but if the bookings are not being used, I see no reason why member's shouldn't play when there is clearly room.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On our permanent move to being able to book a tee time, it is the case at my place that booking is not mandated - on the grounds of insurance or for any other reason. I therefore consider it to not be an issue or concern. I note - I am not aware that we are required to book a tee time, but obviously cannot start if the tee time is already booked, a tee booking guarantees my start time. If any tee time is empty and I am at the club I can simply walk onto the tee and start. I do not need to book the tee.

That said I suspect that the club would prefer me to book the tee at all times as it gives the club the fullest picture of member usage of the 1st tee and course and when periods of unused tee times are a regular occurrence - enabling the club to consider opening the tee for visitor green fees in such periods.

sunshine

Visit site
Apart from potentially letting the greens staff know that there is now someone out there playing at a time that they may have thought the course was clear. I think our course also likes to know who is supposed to be out there from a health & safety perspective; if someone is missing and the NoK rings the club, it may make the difference between coming out to look for you or telling the NoK that you were never there.

Yes there was the occasion when the greens staff napalmed the course without realising that poor old Fred was still out there. Unfortunately he was toast, if only he’d checked in before his round, then notified the club of his movement around the course and then remembered to check out.

sunshine

Visit site

Where do people check in when they go for a walk in the park? What about a walk in the woods?

The absurdity of some of the comments on here , I don’t know whether to laugh or cry

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Where do people check in when they go for a walk in the park? What about a walk in the woods?

The absurdity of some of the comments on here , I don’t know whether to laugh or cry

But in a park there are likely to be lots of other people around.

On a golf course late in the evening...there might not be anyone else around....golf courses are often remotely located. If you go for a walk in the woods....well woods are dangerous places, full of bears having picnics....it would be sensible to tell someone where you are going.

Most folk if they are going walking in remote areas usually will tell someone where they are going and what time they expect to return. In fact, if you extend your walk in the woods/park example to an environment closer to a golf course...something like hill walking....it is standard practice to tell someone what you are doing, what your route will be and what time you expect to return. If you have any sense of your own personal safety then it is simply the sensible thing to do to let someone know you are out on the course....even if it is not a specific requirement of the club to do so.

sunshine

Visit site
But in a park there are likely to be lots of other people around.

On a golf course late in the evening...there might not be anyone else around....golf courses are often remotely located. If you go for a walk in the woods....well woods are dangerous places, full of bears having picnics....it would be sensible to tell someone where you are going.

Most folk if they are going walking in remote areas usually will tell someone where they are going and what time they expect to return. In fact, if you extend your walk in the woods/park example to an environment closer to a golf course...something like hill walking....it is standard practice to tell someone what you are doing, what your route will be and what time you expect to return. If you have any sense of your own personal safety then it is simply the sensible thing to do to let someone know you are out on the course....even if it is not a specific requirement of the club to do so.

????? classic ??