My first handicap

jamiet7682

Visit site
At want point did you decide you had practiced enough and was of a good enough level to obtain your first handicap?

I have been playing for 3 months and got my score down to around 100 (94 best score) on a par 66 course, I have taken up the winter membership at my local course and quite fancy getting involved in some of the comps in the winter season.

Do you think i could start submitting scorecards for handicap or should i be aiming to improve my score further before applying for handicap?

All thoughts welcome.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was probably different for most of us because the max handicap used to be 28 (or even lower for some of the older crowd). So personally, I decided I didn't want to join a club and get a handicap until I could comfortably play off 28, as I figured there was no point paying my money, trying to enter comps off 28 if I was a 'true' 35 or something and just getting rubbish scores every week. So yeah, when I felt like I was a 28 or just under, that's when I joined. And as it turned out they put me on 24 to begin with.

Now that the handicap goes up to 54 you can pretty much join whenever you fancy it. You don't have to worry about not playing to your handicap as it should be fairly accurate. It's up to you if there's a particular handicap you want to aim for, in which case you'd have to wait until you're playing to that sort of standard; if you're not bothered what it is then crack on and give yourself that target of getting it lower.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Thanks for the input, I dont think I am far away from playing off 28 anyway so might be a good time to start submitting some scores.

What is the process for this? I understand you have to submit 54 holes worth of scores, I assume you need to be accompanied by someone who also holds a handicap and they will mark your score and sign off at the end. This is then submitted to someone in the club who will then send away for your handicap upon all 54 holes being submitted, is that correct?

Can you use Medals for this purpose or do you need to have a handicap in place before you can enter a Medal?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the input, I dont think I am far away from playing off 28 anyway so might be a good time to start submitting some scores.

What is the process for this? I understand you have to submit 54 holes worth of scores, I assume you need to be accompanied by someone who also holds a handicap and they will mark your score and sign off at the end. This is then submitted to someone in the club who will then send away for your handicap upon all 54 holes being submitted, is that correct?

Can you use Medals for this purpose or do you need to have a handicap in place before you can enter a Medal?
Each club's requirement might not be the same. When I joined they only said my cards need to be marked by any 'competent golfer', and I was quite surprised that he said me and my mate who was joining with me were fine to mark each other's cards for it. If you've already joined the club though it should be fairly each to join a roll-up game or something and get someone to mark your card?

You won't be able to enter a competition without a handicap. But you may be able to play in a group who are playing a comp, in order for them to mark your handicap cards.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
At want point did you decide you had practiced enough and was of a good enough level to obtain your first handicap?

I have been playing for 3 months and got my score down to around 100 (94 best score) on a par 66 course, I have taken up the winter membership at my local course and quite fancy getting involved in some of the comps in the winter season.

Do you think i could start submitting scorecards for handicap or should i be aiming to improve my score further before applying for handicap?

All thoughts welcome.

Personally I would just go for it. Having a handicap makes it easier to monitor progress (or lack of) and always a chance of winning something as you are improving.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Brilliant thanks.

I have a lesson booked for Monday night so I will ask the Pro if there are any other players in the same boat he could put me in touch with to get some cards marked.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As said each club has it's own requirements.

The club does not have to send away the cards. They enter the cards on to club's computer system and your handicap is calculated from the best card or if you are submitting 9 hole cards the best two nine hole cards.

To work out what your handicap is they look at any score worse than twice the par and reduce it to twice the par, add it up, subtract the SSS and multiply by roughly 90%.

The club should state who may sign the card. It does not have to be in a competition of any sort as you mark the card 'Initial Handicap'.

The club may let you play in medals just for putting in cards (we let players do so where I play) but obviously you cannot win anything because you do not have a handicap.

To get adjustments to your handicap you do not have to play in medals but can submit Supplementary Scores, your club should advise their procedure for doing this.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Thanks Jim, looks like it is time to bite the bullet and get some scores submitted.

Now just need to find someone to do it.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's good to practice enough until you feel proficient enough to be able to get around the course but don't spend too long on the range.
I'd hacked about with mates o. A small 9 hole course for a while, then decided to take it more seriously.
Spent a whole winter on the range every sunday morning. Watched the members drift off to the first tee.....
In the February I decided I was good enough and joined.
First card was a medal - knocked it around in 80 and was given a handicap of 15.
Could have joined months ago and not felt out of place.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Yeah i feel pretty confident in getting round the course without embarassing myself or holding anyone up. My worst score is usually an 8 on any given hole so feel fairly comfortable out on the course.

Been watching the other golfers out on the course and I feel like I am not too far behind most of them.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Mearns Castle in East Renfewshire. I live in the south side of Glasgow so was pretty handy and the £150 winter membership, then following annual membership for £300 (should be £450) seemed too good a deal to pass up.

It is set up as a Golf Academy so plenty of newcomers about the place, so I dont feel out of place hacking the place up :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As others have said just get out and play and put the cards in... why wait.

When i started, i had only ever played two rounds before putting my first card in, which was in a comp but for handicap purposes only.

don't forget everything over double bogey is rounded down to that anyway..

Good luck

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Until recently I was in a similar position to you and I’ve just this week had my first handicap.

I don’t know any other members so I took the plunge and joined in with the comps (couldn’t win prizes, was really just joining in). The first 2 chaps I played with were great and I ended up getting one of them to sign a supplementary card for me a week later. The next comp, the 1 chap was nice, the other was up his own arse, so not so great. However, doing it this way has meant that I’ve got to know a couple of members already, sat with them having a beer afterwards and was then introduced to a couple more, so can’t complain really.

My handicap is 30, was expecting around 25 so I’m a bit disappointed, had 2 terrible rounds! However, at least I can now properly take part in comps and meet other members and hopefully get my handicap down.

So, I’d say just get stuck in!

Ps - if you haven’t done it already, have a chat with the club captain and handicap Secretary. Both have been a great help.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do it ASAP, what is stopping you?

You don’t need to be “good”. Handicaps changed recently to be more inclusive.

I got mine as soon as I understood the rules and the game, within 3 months of deciding to take the game up properly.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Go for it! Getting better (as you will do) always looks good when means against an "official" standard.

And worth remembering that your best score of 94 is only 28 over 66. And chances are you racked up a couple of big numbers in there. So depending on what the standard scratch for the course is, you may already qualify for a handicap of 28 or less.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd put my cards in too, no point in waiting to you reduce your scores and it will give you a sence of achievement watching your hc come down, I was playing off around 100 when I put my cards in and got a hc of 18 I'm now of 20, like you I didn't want to embarrass myself but once I played a couple of medals I realised there are people a helluva lot worse than me and been playing for years, as long as your enjoying it batter right in mate,

FAB90

Visit site
I Would put them in as soon as possible. I just got my first handicap a few months ago but kept putting it off ended up getting 29 bit gives you something to work at! Also what's the course like at mearns castle only used the range a few times!