My American Golf fitting - unbeatable service

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In my recent quest for new bats and trying many different off the shelf sets nothing has really set the world on fire and inspired me to part with my hard earned. In recent weeks I've tried razr x forged/px6.0, mp63/s300, mp54/xps300 s55/CFS, s56/s300, i20/awt, but as I've stated so,etching wasn't quite right.

With this in mind I phoned AG new Malden and spoke with zee who was the fitter that fitted my amp driver that has proved reliable and consistent over the last two years.

Upon getting there it was the normal 50 balls on the range warm up before talking zee through what issues I was seeing in my game and why I was looking to change and to what, I'd explained that I wanted a slightly lower flight, but not worried about distance it was solely control and lower dispersion that I was seeking, as it seems I'm losing shots by missing greens from a inside 150 yards, I'd explained that although the razr's fitted with px6.0 didn't work great, the shaft seemed to produce a tight dispersion although they was down on length by at least a club so it was obvious the shaft wasn't working quite right,

After a static measurement it was decided that even though im 6.1" with long arms standard length would suit. a session on the DNA swing analyser we whittled it down to 3 shafts, the xps105 stiff which is the new version of what I am using at the moment, the Kbs tour stiff and also the px5.5, the DNA was showing the TT r300 for my swing speed of 82 with a 6i but we was convinced this wasn't quite right so threw the r300 and s300 in just to rule them out.

after 10 shots with each on the range using the mp64 head which I quite fancied, using flight scope we were looking at spin, smash factors and flight height and it was clear that my current bats wasn't that bad. The mp64/xps105 combo was producing 5200rpm spin, with the px5.5 and Kbs producing around 5500-5800, but although everything was very close in comparison, the spin on my current set was only 4800.

Zee picked up on something that I hadn't looked at, Lie angles! He noticed I was slightly toe up at address due to having longer arms even though I'm 6.1" I was hitting toe up at contact which was causing the strike to me more consistent from the heel end of the club, so the head wasn't producing a pure strike. We hit the indoor trackman again and with the strike board coupled with a 7i we hit around 5 balls with my current sticks and jackpot, the strike was constantly out of the heel of the club. I was hitting my 7i around 165 on the trackman which is exactly what I hit on the course, zee asked if he could bend my 7i 1 degree flat to test something. 5 mins later and he was back with my flat 7i which was then hit to compare against the previous 5 balls.

My draw had softened, the strike was clean out the middle compared with the previous strike sticker that has showed it was from the heel, and the the strike test on the bottom showed 0 degree bend required, instead of the previous which was evenly spread between 0 and -2*

We tested this method with the 6I also and likewise the result were positive, my current carry is 175 with a 6i, this went up to 185 once it was bent 1* flatter

So after all this trial and error and going into a superstore with an open wallet for a custom fit, my total spend was £27.00 on having all my irons bent 1* flatter.

Zee asked me to play these for at least a month or two before deciding whether I still wanted new bats but he would be happy to see me again in a few months if I want to revisit.

Now I know AG Generally get some bad reports on sales man selling clubs that are not suited just for a sale, but this is the total opposite, I could have walked out of there 600/700 worse off with clubs that performed no better than my currents, instead it cost me less than a green fee at a local pay and play with instant improved results.

:clap:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's nice that some shops just don't look to sell sell sell, I'd been trying the other clubs at my local range which has also been purchased by AG, I know the stores assistant in the well and after the trials, each time he's said " the results don't warrant the spent, stick with what you have "

It's kinda making me wonder is there has been a change at the top from AG and their no longer in to the quick sell but trying to build better customer relations for return business.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have however left out one important bit of info.

Whiles hitting the mp64 with all the different shafts I hit another club, a fg62 blade fitted with a Kbs tour fast stiff shaft...... My theory was they had them there, I like the look, it was the shaft I like.... May as well give it a try,

Hit the 4i, 6i and 8i and these bad boys are amazing, they are THE ONLY CLUB I have hit that I wanted to buy there and then.... Theese are a radiation all balde in all form and the feel off the face was nothing but awesome. My stats with my 6i were 180/185, my stats with that 6i was 190 with a couple of 200's thrown in on real middled ones.

While my clubs were being bent I hit around 50 balls with these..... While playing yesterday although I knew my bats were not perfect for me..... A little voice keeps says " them fg's were your spec, them fg were longer "

I'm struggling guys, resisting these is not easy

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why would you buy clubs to make the game harder for yourself :smirk:

What you want is some GI shovels :smirk:

Sorry wrong thread :D

FG62 are lovely bats. I too had a swish in AG while my dad was being looking at putters and they are lovely.

If I were in your situation I'd probably feel the same.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good for him. He did the right thing and bought some customer loyalty and good word of mouth.

Checking the lie angle isn't exactly an exotic piece of fitting though, and should be part of any basic fitting service. Alternatively you could get your freakish arms shortened and then you would be able to but standard lie stuff.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hmmmm this is true. I'm more impressed with the fact that could have fitted a set of clubs 1* flat and the same difference would have made me buy them, because I would have seen results! instead they just fixed mine.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have however left out one important bit of info.

Whiles hitting the mp64 with all the different shafts I hit another club, a fg62 blade fitted with a Kbs tour fast stiff shaft...... My theory was they had them there, I like the look, it was the shaft I like.... May as well give it a try,

Hit the 4i, 6i and 8i and these bad boys are amazing, they are THE ONLY CLUB I have hit that I wanted to buy there and then.... Theese are a radiation all balde in all form and the feel off the face was nothing but awesome. My stats with my 6i were 180/185, my stats with that 6i was 190 with a couple of 200's thrown in on real middled ones.

While my clubs were being bent I hit around 50 balls with these..... While playing yesterday although I knew my bats were not perfect for me..... A little voice keeps says " them fg's were your spec, them fg were longer "

I'm struggling guys, resisting these is not easy

Bazza, I still think those carry distances with your 6 iron are a bit funny, unless the ball speed is was over the norm for your 82MPH clubhead speed. i just can't see how with 82mph you would be carrying the ball over 185 yards with blades.

Was this outside and seeing the balls go over 185 yard marker on a range or on a AG scope?
I know you have said what great service AG have given you here bending the clubs etc... but AG sims have been known to be dodgy.

maybe someone who knows about ball speed VS clubhead speed = distance will be along and back up those figures you hit are possible.

But by the sounds of it, i would stick with your old clubs for now and try the wilsons when the weather is better on a Course:thup::thup:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bazza, I still think those carry distances with your 6 iron are a bit funny, unless the ball speed is was over the norm for your 82MPH clubhead speed. i just can't see how with 82mph you would be carrying the ball over 185 yards with blades.

Was this outside and seeing the balls go over 185 yard marker on a range or on a AG scope?
I know you have said what great service AG have given you here bending the clubs etc... but AG sims have been known to be dodgy.

maybe someone who knows about ball speed VS clubhead speed = distance will be along and back up those figures you hit are possible.

But by the sounds of it, i would stick with your old clubs for now and try the wilsons when the weather is better on a Course:thup::thup:

I saw that too. Maybe there was a special promotion - 25% extra distance with every fitting?

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds good, I bought my irons off the shelf (went by look, weight and cost) would definitely be worth £27 to check the specs.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I saw that too. Maybe there was a special promotion - 25% extra distance with every fitting?

Went I was swinging a little loser my swing speed increased to 84mph, which is exactly what previous sessions with the 3bays have reported, up until the end of November I have been carrying my 6i at least 170, which has been confirmed by a v2 range finder. My 8i have been around 155 with 7i around 165

It was indoors and outdoors on their range, indoors was a trackman and outside was a flightscope, with both numbers matching up or there abouts

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Ethan, i tried looking on the web for a table for this to compare SS =Distance or at least a guide and all i came up wuth was PGA tour stuff.

You know this sort of stuff what do you think aout these distances, baz has qtd?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Went I was swinging a little loser my swing speed increased to 84mph, which is exactly what previous sessions with the 3bays have reported, up until the end of November I have been carrying my 6i at least 170, which has been confirmed by a v2 range finder. My 8i have been around 155 with 7i around 165

It was indoors and outdoors on their range, indoors was a trackman and outside was a flightscope, with both numbers matching up or there abouts

Im not having a dig Barry.

But a 2 mph SS increase would not add another 15 yards plus carry with a blade, shirley?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Im not having a dig Barry.

But a 2 mph SS increase would not add another 15 yards plus carry with a blade, shirley?

Not taking as a dig, here's something I found

http://www.golfwrx.com/64715/carry-distance-vs-swing-speed-chart/

It would seem that with a 6i swing speed of 84mph , my 6 I carry should be about 145, on the course yesterday I hit my 8i 3/4 through the back of a green that was scoped at 145 to the pin, the pin was cut maybe 8-10ft from the back edge, and the ball carried the edge by over 10/15 ft. So an estimation of around 155 yards with a 3/4 8i slightly downhill is about as spot on as I can be.

Something must be a miss with the numbers as I know my distances. An easy 8i level ground on a still day is 150, if I lean on it slightly or really flush it it's 155

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not taking as a dig, here's something I found

http://www.golfwrx.com/64715/carry-distance-vs-swing-speed-chart/

It would seem that with a 6i swing speed of 84mph , my 6 I carry should be about 145, on the course yesterday I hit my 8i 3/4 through the back of a green that was scoped at 145 to the pin, the pin was cut maybe 8-10ft from the back edge, and the ball carried the edge by over 10/15 ft. So an estimation of around 155 yards with a 3/4 8i slightly downhill is about as spot on as I can be.

Something must be a miss with the numbers as I know my distances. An easy 8i level ground on a still day is 150, if I lean on it slightly or really flush it it's 155

Thin then:rofl::ears:

its i always take these scope reading with a pinch of salt. well since a well known Golf retailer tried to sell me a TM Burner driver that according to their sim i was hitting 270 yards carry with a slight draw. when at the time i had only just started playing and only hit the driver 200 yards max, with a moosive slice:rofl:

When i had my last iron fitting i tried quite a few clubs and the Ping I20 were going the same distanes as you are quoting here as were the Callway Xhot Pro. The ping was a 7 iron too, ive onlt ever hit these loft iron this distance a few times abd there were either Thin and ran a fair way, or were down wind ( gale) down hill.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds good, swing speed and carry aside.

Strange though that you asked for a lower ball flight and he offered the XP105... A very high launching shaft. You create pretty low spin numbers with your own iron/shaft combo.

I swing about the same speed as you give or take, I guess I have more loft on my irons and I only carry a 6 iron about 160. There is clearly a lot more at play with launch and decent number, smash factor and so on. Nice that a simple lie change had such a desirable effect on finding the center of the club though.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've never had a bad service from 4 different AG's I've been to. Yes some are more knowlegeable and some are 'keener' on the sale but if you ask the right questions they are a pretty good bunch overall.