My American Golf fitting - unbeatable service

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On my recent fitting my swing speed was pretty much the same at low to mid 80s and I was getting approx 155 with my 6 iron after the correct shaft, flex etc had been chosen. That was with pro v 1 balls as well.

As a matter of interest was the guy at AG a professional ? I know we have one in our local store but wasn't sure if every one did.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
On my recent fitting my swing speed was pretty much the same at low to mid 80s and I was getting approx 155 with my 6 iron after the correct shaft, flex etc had been chosen. That was with pro v 1 balls as well.

As a matter of interest was the guy at AG a professional ? I know we have one in our local store but wasn't sure if every one did.

Remember your spin rate?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sounds good, swing speed and carry aside.

Strange though that you asked for a lower ball flight and he offered the XP105... A very high launching shaft. You create pretty low spin numbers with your own iron/shaft combo.

I swing about the same speed as you give or take, I guess I have more loft on my irons and I only carry a 6 iron about 160. There is clearly a lot more at play with launch and decent number, smash factor and so on. Nice that a simple lie change had such a desirable effect on finding the center of the club though.

The DNA only suggests shafts, it's would have been down to me to pick one that produced the desired flight :thup:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nice one buddy, looks like you have recieved some top notch service. I got fitted by american golf for my irons, here is the thread:

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?55763-Thanks-american-golf-for-my-new-shineys

I would though be questioning the distances though getting that sort of distance from an 84MPh is debatable. In my fitting I am confident that the distances where good as my old clubs got the exact distance I would normally get and the fitting on those are spot on as they where the same as the new clubs I was getting.

D

Deleted member 15344

Each AG is as good as it's staff

The ones in MK can be annoying and tbh don't appear that knowledgable and same with the guys at DG.

Would only buy clothes and tees etc from those places

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Patrick/Ethan

After the recent posts I've dragged up some history from recent range sessions with the 3bays

6 iron taken from first week of December

Average:

club head speed 85mph
Impact force 1383lbs
Ball speed 120mph
Carry distance 170yards

Peak:

club head speed 86mph,
Impact force 1408lbs
Ball speed 122mph
Carry distance 173yards

8 iron stats

Average
club head speed 80mph
Impact force 1253lbs
Ball speed 109mph
Carry distance 148yards

Peak
club head speed 81mph,
Impact force 1272
Ball speed 110mph
Carry distance 150 yards

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
In my recent quest for new bats and trying many different off the shelf sets nothing has really set the world on fire and inspired me to part with my hard earned. In recent weeks I've tried razr x forged/px6.0, mp63/s300, mp54/xps300 s55/CFS, s56/s300, i20/awt, but as I've stated so,etching wasn't quite right.

With this in mind I phoned AG new Malden and spoke with zee who was the fitter that fitted my amp driver that has proved reliable and consistent over the last two years.

Upon getting there it was the normal 50 balls on the range warm up before talking zee through what issues I was seeing in my game and why I was looking to change and to what, I'd explained that I wanted a slightly lower flight, but not worried about distance it was solely control and lower dispersion that I was seeking, as it seems I'm losing shots by missing greens from a inside 150 yards, I'd explained that although the razr's fitted with px6.0 didn't work great, the shaft seemed to produce a tight dispersion although they was down on length by at least a club so it was obvious the shaft wasn't working quite right,

After a static measurement it was decided that even though im 6.1" with long arms standard length would suit. a session on the DNA swing analyser we whittled it down to 3 shafts, the xps105 stiff which is the new version of what I am using at the moment, the Kbs tour stiff and also the px5.5, the DNA was showing the TT r300 for my swing speed of 82 with a 6i but we was convinced this wasn't quite right so threw the r300 and s300 in just to rule them out.

after 10 shots with each on the range using the mp64 head which I quite fancied, using flight scope we were looking at spin, smash factors and flight height and it was clear that my current bats wasn't that bad. The mp64/xps105 combo was producing 5200rpm spin, with the px5.5 and Kbs producing around 5500-5800, but although everything was very close in comparison, the spin on my current set was only 4800.

Zee picked up on something that I hadn't looked at, Lie angles! He noticed I was slightly toe up at address due to having longer arms even though I'm 6.1" I was hitting toe up at contact which was causing the strike to me more consistent from the heel end of the club, so the head wasn't producing a pure strike. We hit the indoor trackman again and with the strike board coupled with a 7i we hit around 5 balls with my current sticks and jackpot, the strike was constantly out of the heel of the club. I was hitting my 7i around 165 on the trackman which is exactly what I hit on the course, zee asked if he could bend my 7i 1 degree flat to test something. 5 mins later and he was back with my flat 7i which was then hit to compare against the previous 5 balls.

My draw had softened, the strike was clean out the middle compared with the previous strike sticker that has showed it was from the heel, and the the strike test on the bottom showed 0 degree bend required, instead of the previous which was evenly spread between 0 and -2*

We tested this method with the 6I also and likewise the result were positive, my current carry is 175 with a 6i, this went up to 185 once it was bent 1* flatter

So after all this trial and error and going into a superstore with an open wallet for a custom fit, my total spend was £27.00 on having all my irons bent 1* flatter.

Zee asked me to play these for at least a month or two before deciding whether I still wanted new bats but he would be happy to see me again in a few months if I want to revisit.

Now I know AG Generally get some bad reports on sales man selling clubs that are not suited just for a sale, but this is the total opposite, I could have walked out of there 600/700 worse off with clubs that performed no better than my currents, instead it cost me less than a green fee at a local pay and play with instant improved results.

:clap:
Obviously not the same branches of American Golf as I use then!

Probably correct shaft type and lie angle are the most important parts of custom fitting. I had the same problem as you, with a too upright lie causing me to hit shots off the heel of the club, even causing the occasional sh*nk!

Last edited:

elevenredmen

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thin then:rofl::ears:

its i always take these scope reading with a pinch of salt. well since a well known Golf retailer tried to sell me a TM Burner driver that according to their sim i was hitting 270 yards carry with a slight draw. when at the time i had only just started playing and only hit the driver 200 yards max, with a moosive slice:rofl:

QUOTE]

Excuse my ignorance but how does one set a simulator up to show a draw? I have been having lessons indoor with a pro over the winter working on hitting a draw. Could he set the simulator up to show this?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thin then:rofl::ears:

its i always take these scope reading with a pinch of salt. well since a well known Golf retailer tried to sell me a TM Burner driver that according to their sim i was hitting 270 yards carry with a slight draw. when at the time i had only just started playing and only hit the driver 200 yards max, with a moosive slice:rofl:

QUOTE]

Excuse my ignorance but how does one set a simulator up to show a draw? I have been having lessons indoor with a pro over the winter working on hitting a draw. Could he set the simulator up to show this?

When the machine is first turned it will do a self calibration and I am sure you could mess with it in some way to give an incorrect reading, a bit like changing the wind or air temp on it can give the impression you are hitting 300 yard drives.

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
Thank you for sharing your experience as a business we are working very hard on making sure that we use our fantastic facilities and expert staff to give our customers an experience that reassures them they have been given correct advice to improve their game going forward. Having been fitted by Zee myself in the past his level of expertise is a real asset to our business Please be sure to let him know how your game progresses.

In my recent quest for new bats and trying many different off the shelf sets nothing has really set the world on fire and inspired me to part with my hard earned. In recent weeks I've tried razr x forged/px6.0, mp63/s300, mp54/xps300 s55/CFS, s56/s300, i20/awt, but as I've stated so,etching wasn't quite right.

With this in mind I phoned AG new Malden and spoke with zee who was the fitter that fitted my amp driver that has proved reliable and consistent over the last two years.

Upon getting there it was the normal 50 balls on the range warm up before talking zee through what issues I was seeing in my game and why I was looking to change and to what, I'd explained that I wanted a slightly lower flight, but not worried about distance it was solely control and lower dispersion that I was seeking, as it seems I'm losing shots by missing greens from a inside 150 yards, I'd explained that although the razr's fitted with px6.0 didn't work great, the shaft seemed to produce a tight dispersion although they was down on length by at least a club so it was obvious the shaft wasn't working quite right,

After a static measurement it was decided that even though im 6.1" with long arms standard length would suit. a session on the DNA swing analyser we whittled it down to 3 shafts, the xps105 stiff which is the new version of what I am using at the moment, the Kbs tour stiff and also the px5.5, the DNA was showing the TT r300 for my swing speed of 82 with a 6i but we was convinced this wasn't quite right so threw the r300 and s300 in just to rule them out.

after 10 shots with each on the range using the mp64 head which I quite fancied, using flight scope we were looking at spin, smash factors and flight height and it was clear that my current bats wasn't that bad. The mp64/xps105 combo was producing 5200rpm spin, with the px5.5 and Kbs producing around 5500-5800, but although everything was very close in comparison, the spin on my current set was only 4800.

Zee picked up on something that I hadn't looked at, Lie angles! He noticed I was slightly toe up at address due to having longer arms even though I'm 6.1" I was hitting toe up at contact which was causing the strike to me more consistent from the heel end of the club, so the head wasn't producing a pure strike. We hit the indoor trackman again and with the strike board coupled with a 7i we hit around 5 balls with my current sticks and jackpot, the strike was constantly out of the heel of the club. I was hitting my 7i around 165 on the trackman which is exactly what I hit on the course, zee asked if he could bend my 7i 1 degree flat to test something. 5 mins later and he was back with my flat 7i which was then hit to compare against the previous 5 balls.

My draw had softened, the strike was clean out the middle compared with the previous strike sticker that has showed it was from the heel, and the the strike test on the bottom showed 0 degree bend required, instead of the previous which was evenly spread between 0 and -2*

We tested this method with the 6I also and likewise the result were positive, my current carry is 175 with a 6i, this went up to 185 once it was bent 1* flatter

So after all this trial and error and going into a superstore with an open wallet for a custom fit, my total spend was £27.00 on having all my irons bent 1* flatter.

Zee asked me to play these for at least a month or two before deciding whether I still wanted new bats but he would be happy to see me again in a few months if I want to revisit.

Now I know AG Generally get some bad reports on sales man selling clubs that are not suited just for a sale, but this is the total opposite, I could have walked out of there 600/700 worse off with clubs that performed no better than my currents, instead it cost me less than a green fee at a local pay and play with instant improved results.

:clap:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Patrick/Ethan

After the recent posts I've dragged up some history from recent range sessions with the 3bays

6 iron taken from first week of December

Average:

club head speed 85mph
Impact force 1383lbs
Ball speed 120mph
Carry distance 170yards

Peak:

club head speed 86mph,
Impact force 1408lbs
Ball speed 122mph
Carry distance 173yards

8 iron stats

Average
club head speed 80mph
Impact force 1253lbs
Ball speed 109mph
Carry distance 148yards

Peak
club head speed 81mph,
Impact force 1272
Ball speed 110mph
Carry distance 150 yards

Are those calculated carry distances or actually observed (measured)?

Either way, if true, I think you are getting the most out of your swing.

Part of the discussion here is a general debate on simulators. It seems that a lot of people fail to replicate the simulator distances on the actual course, and there is cause for suspicion that doe of them are amped up a bit to encourage purchasing. I know an AG manager who admitted to me that they did exactly that, and I have had personal experience of supposedly using my 100mph driver swing to carry a ball 285 yards in an AG branch. There is simply no way that is possible unless at altitude, downhill or with a gale force wind behind.