Move to premium balls?

Buckbeak

Visit site
When did people change to premium golf balls and why?

I currently use Callaway Super Softs, I like how they feel around the green and are reasonably priced.

I’m now playing more consistent and more times than not finish with the same ball as I started.

A few rounds ago I decided to use a TP5 to see if there’s much difference. Kept it the whole round and it felt nice off the clubs and putter. Although I’m not sure I noticed much difference between that and the super soft. Not £20 more a dozen anyway.

Just wondered what the main benefits of the premium ball are? I’m a 18HC so I assume I’m not at a level yet to take advantage of their benefits?

petema99

Visit site
Also considering the same thing - currently playing AD333 which are decent for the price, but finding they scuff very easily - sometimes fairly heavily marked after even just a few holes (with no bunker shots, etc.). Perhaps worth paying for a more durable ball if you're not losing that many...

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you're happy with and have got used to the Callaway Super Softs - why change for something a lot more expensive? Tbh, at 18H/C, any difference between balls will hardly be noticeable. (Speaking from experience :)) Can't remember the last tome I bought a new golf ball. Just use good quality pickups. Yes, there may be a slight difference in feel off the putter face between balls, but not enough to bother me.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I agree with both posts so far.

About 1974 I gave up on Commandos. I felt I had to move up a level in order to break 90 regularly.
If I found a Dunlop 65 or Penfold Ace in playable condition it made my day. They were my preferred ones back then.
I was not influenced by marketing, just found a ball, had a go, decided whether I liked it or not.
That approach to ball-hype has stayed with me to a great extent.

More recently...

Bought 3 doz Srixon soft feel for the price of two at end of 2018. About half way through them now.
I like playing ProV1 if conditions are perfect, but they rarely look playable after about 27 holes.
Last two soft feels lasted 5 rounds each. So price of ball per round is ridiculous in comparison.
I like the firmer feel of AD333 in the winter.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I really disagree!

Pro V1 and the AVX last really long and for me at least, their durability is excellent.

I like other premium balls, like z star, but durability is way down on Titleist.

Buckbeak

Visit site
Also considering the same thing - currently playing AD333 which are decent for the price, but finding they scuff very easily - sometimes fairly heavily marked after even just a few holes (with no bunker shots, etc.). Perhaps worth paying for a more durable ball if you're not losing that many...

This is one of the main reasons I’m thinking of upgrading too. My Callaways look quite scuffed by the end of one round - so they then normally go into the bottom of my bag and I’ll use a new one on the next round. However this could be due to the ball washers still out of play. But I did notice that the TP5 stayed looking the more or less the same.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You don't have to make the leap from budget ball straight to Premium..
Every manufacturer has a mid range ball - Q Star, Tour Soft, Tour Response or even the Chromesoft
A good halfway house that will still give you the soft feel but a bit more "performance "

The Dog.

Visit site

I currently use Callaway Super Softs, I like how they feel around the green

Just wondered what the main benefits of the premium ball are? I’m a 18HC so I assume I’m not at a level yet to take advantage of their benefits?

I would’ve said that you’d feel the difference chipping and putting with a top end ball but am not sure as those super softs are decent.
Bit more distance maybe but I don’t think you’ll appreciably notice much difference to be honest.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The main benefit of 3 and more piece urethane balls is that you lose the compromise between high spin or distance of a 2 piece ball.

Dependent on your choice most 3 etc piece balls give good distance and good greenside /short game spin.

2 piece balls like the Supersoft give good spin at the expense of some distance with flat face clubs like the driver.

When the original 3 piece multi layer balls came out ( e.g Top Flite Strata) in the early 90s I made the switch virtually immediately from wound balata balls because it was so easy to see the advantages and have played multi layer balls ever since.

I have tried various 2 piece balls through the years just to see if I could save money but have never found one as good.

As per Imurg 3 piece balls can be had that do not cost premium prices very often you are just paying for the name.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I really disagree!

Pro V1 and the AVX last really long and for me at least, their durability is excellent.

I like other premium balls, like z star, but durability is way down on Titleist.

I play with AVX and have no problem with durability. The longest I've played with one was 44 holes and 1 tee shot. It was a bit marked but perfectly usable.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I like to play with premium balls but don't like paying premium price so I tend to look to see what is in the sales. I've been playing Chrome Soft but I'm not sure they give the distance of other premium balls. At the weekend i played with the Inesis Tour 900 and have to say I was pretty impressed with them. Good performance at a mid range price.

sunshine

Visit site
I don't think durability is a factor. A Pro V1 will scuff up just as much as a Supersoft - it's the things the ball has come into contact with which makes the difference. It's not like clothes or shoes where better quality lasts longer.

I use premium balls for the extra spin on short irons and feel when chipping and putting. I was playing a few holes on my own the other evening with a Pro V1 and a Tour Soft. They felt remarkably similar off the club face, couldn't tell the difference in distance with a driver (I'm not good enough to hit 2 identical shots with a driver). But with a wedge it was clear that the Tour Soft flew a little further in the air and then ran out further, whilst the Pro V1 was a few yards shorter and finished next to its pitch mark.

Boomy

Visit site
I buy lake balls from Mail Order Golf, £15 (inc free P&P) for 12 good condition Callaway Chromesoft Truvis which I use for practice rounds and comps - they’re generally immaculate tbh. I’ve also bought the grade A ones (which I think were £19.99 for 12) and they really are like new. That way I can play premium balls for sensible price.

stevenk

Hacker
Visit site
I am still using Wilson dx2, i find lakeballs are like hitting a brick and prov1 are nt much better. At the end of the day it comes down to your swing speed the lower the swing the softer the ball.

Boomy

Visit site
I am still using Wilson dx2, i find lakeballs are like hitting a brick and prov1 are nt much better. At the end of the day it comes down to your swing speed the lower the swing the softer the ball.

A bit of generic comment regarding lake balls... cheap rubbish lake balls may well be like a brick, but if you buy a specific branded lake ball it’ll play the same as a fresh out of the box ball.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did it at the start of this year. A couple of main reasons.
1. I watched a lot of content that basically said premium balls are just better in every way - urethane cover helps you stop the ball on the green, and the ball I've selected (Bridgestone RX) carries further for me than any so-called cheaper 'distance' ball I've tried in the past, so it does seem to be best of both worlds so far.
2. I don't really lose balls anymore. Since the last lockdown I've played 16 rounds and only lost two balls (one of which was provisional I didn't even bother looking for). The Bridgestone is not as expensive as the ProV1 and some of the others either, so I'm happy to pay for them now, safe in the knowledge that I'm not going to rinse through them too quickly.
3. I really liked how Bridgestone have a premium ball aimed at slower swing speeds. I don't think I ever would have gone for a ProV1 for example as I don't think it's for the likes of me anyway. But I know the RX should suit me and what I want to get out of it.

TigerBear

Visit site
You don't have to make the leap from budget ball straight to Premium..
Every manufacturer has a mid range ball - Q Star, Tour Soft, Tour Response or even the Chromesoft
A good halfway house that will still give you the soft feel but a bit more "performance "

Is chrome soft a mid range ball?

It's their most expensive range!

TigerBear

Visit site
I tested this out last summer, late night with the course to myself.

Using my 8i, I hit supersofts, pro V1x's and Chrome softs into a hard green that sloped away to the back.

I found that there was a clear difference in spin rate in terms of the Pro V1x's and Chrome softs comfortably holding the green while the supersofts rolled off.

I've always used the Pro V1x simply because I always seemed to get that bit further distance with a good drive and it's the higher spinning ball.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did it at the start of this year. A couple of main reasons.
1. urethane cover helps you stop the ball on the green,.

The choice of urethane is to give the ball durability. It is why wood floors get a coat of polyurethane varnish. It does allow a thinner cover compared to Surlyn which you find on cheaper 3 piece balls.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I really disagree!

Can understand you saying that, Ken, but I notice your handicap.
( wish I had it ?).
No doubt you almost always hit the ball exactly right.
But us high handicappers smack them somewhat differently!
Scuffing is so easy for us?