Most Forgiving Driver ?

offshore1

Hacker
Visit site
Any suggestions please on the most forgiving driver available - to assist someone just returning to golf?

Last years models are also of interest - if I can save some money that way.

Thanks in advance.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recommend what ever driver you go with that you pay attention to the shaft length. I'm about 5ft 10 and was playing with a driver 46" long - some are even longer! I trimmed it to about 45" and its been more accurate ever since.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
You could try a Wilson Spine. If it's too long (I felt mine was) you could cut it down to 45". Mine is 44.75" and works a treat.
Square IS forgiving, the only downside is the odd straight pull or push.....which I can live with :) and t.b.h. they don't go quite as far.
Both my "regular" driver and 3 wood go a little further than my "square" ones..

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Forgiveness for off centre hits, or easier to hit straight?

Forgiveness has been covered. Loft, draw bias a clsoed face and offset can help if you are slicing.

offshore1

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the advice so far.

Apologies if forgiveness has been covered before - searched back ten pages then stopped. I suppose new people all start with similar questions.

I suppose what I meant by forgiveness was that I am happy to sacrifice distance with a typical shot, if i have a greater chance of it going straight most of the time.

My first attempt with a driver last week resulted in every type of different fault you could imagine - not a pretty sight!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am currently using a nike machspeed 10.5 deg, which is a higher loft than I have used before, I got a stiff voodoo shaft in it though and find that it is longer than my ft-5, which is very good, but the main thing for me is that it is a lot more accurate, I have set 1 point open and hit a lovely draw with it, I find that I can alter my trajectory better also, so I can hit it lower into the wind and higher with the wind, even with off centre hits it still goes a good distance. If you get a chance I would reccomend giving it a try.
JT

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The K15 was stupid easy to hit. It sounds like the old Sumo or Cleveland XLS and so you're going to get a lot of attention if you hit it at a range but it is very light (comparable with the TM Superfast) and has a very big looking head that screams confidence. Very big sweetspot and I think has been set up closed to prevent a slice (don't quote me on that) but it just sat that way a touch. Actually a pretty decent driver but I hit it way too high and prefer the I15

oakey22

Head Pro
Visit site
has anyone tried the Cobra Golf L5V M-Speed Driver?

I have been looking at this driver as the one i have currently is one that came with my golf set and is 14.5 Degree.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
No, I hit an L4V, and couldn't knock it out there more than 210 due to savage back spin. That in a c/f session as well. Not designed for me.

Put me off Cobra.

oakey22

Head Pro
Visit site
i went to the range earlier with mine, its a topflight 14.5 Degree oversized driver and i could only hit it about 200 yards, could this be due to the night loft?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Night loft? I wouldn't want any of that. Only works in the dark.

Most amateur golfers could use a higher lofted driver as their swing speeds are a bit low. If you swing 90 mph and above, then you can get away with less loft. Higher loft will have more back spin the harder you hit it.

It also depends on the shaft. A high launching shaft, combined with a high lofted club = monster back spin and no distance.

Your driver is probably designed for a slow swing, as exhibited by many beginners. If you are swinging faster than it was designed for, it won't be optimal.

oakey22

Head Pro
Visit site
Night loft? I wouldn't want any of that. Only works in the dark.

Most amateur golfers could use a higher lofted driver as their swing speeds are a bit low. If you swing 90 mph and above, then you can get away with less loft. Higher loft will have more back spin the harder you hit it.

It also depends on the shaft. A high launching shaft, combined with a high lofted club = monster back spin and no distance.

Your driver is probably designed for a slow swing, as exhibited by many beginners. If you are swinging faster than it was designed for, it won't be optimal.

when i notice the video of me swinging the driver it does bend quite a bit, maybe it is too flexible.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i went to the range earlier with mine, its a topflight 14.5 Degree oversized driver and i could only hit it about 200 yards, could this be due to the night loft?

What are your range balls like?

If they're anything like ours, I wouldn't worry about the distances you hit them.
I measured ours to the back fence on Google Earth, and at it's shortest it's about 180yds.
I have to hit a good one to hit the fence before the ground.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
i went to the range earlier with mine, its a topflight 14.5 Degree oversized driver and i could only hit it about 200 yards, could this be due to the high loft?

Yes. 1) it's almost impossible to hit a driver with this sort of loft much over 230 (total) with an average clubhead speed.
2) range balls don't help.

14.5 is a sort of easy-use driver with the big head but a 3 wood loft (more or less). Great for certain players, sure.

I have 2 drivers (did have 3) which both create almost identical launch conditions (I know, 'cause I've been on a trackman). The ideal launch for me with a 90 mph swing is about 15-16 degrees. To get this, I either need to catch the driver "on the up" quite a bit more with a 10 or 11 degree club, or just employ my normal swing with a 12 or 13.

My clubhead speed does vary though, it sometimes dips nearer 85 or occasionally gets up to 95. My best drives might get over 250 with roll but are realistically carrying just over 210 (? - guess) and rolling out to 230-240.

My personal feeling is that too much loft is better than too little. However, better players (faster clubhead speed) will almost certainly reach a critical point by going up in loft where the ball goes way to high.

For example. a 100 mph swing will mathematically produce the most carry with a 12 or 13 degree driver. Total distance of a 10 vs 12 will be almost nothing (a yard or two) BUT when the fairways are hard and the ball really shoots along, a 10 (approx) is going to give the biggest drives.

Then you need to throw in the final confuser, which is that no two players are the same. There are forum members using 8 or 9 degree drivers with great success.....if they have the right technique to get the right launch, then almost any combination is conceivable.

My brain hurts.

:eek: