Forgiving driver going further?

Tommygun16

Visit site
Does anyone know what would cause a 'forgiving' driver to go further than a less forgiving model?

I have had a Cobra Speedzone Extreme (the forgiving model) for a number of years and recently took a punt on the PXG 0311 (the less forgiving model of the two PXG options). My logic was that, everything else being equal, if hit out of the sweet spot the less forgiving head should probably go further due to MOI etc. Both clubs have exactly the same shaft, except that the PXG is 1/2 inch longer, which too would suggest that on centred hits the PXG would go further.

Bizarrely this doesn't seem to be the case at all. I had a very long range session and would hit 10 balls and then switch to the other club. The forgiving Cobra consistently went further than the PXG. Even the sweet spot PXG shots seemed worse that the off-centre Cobra hits. I didn't notice any particular difference on the heights of the shots etc.

Any views on what might cause this? Surely it's not that Cobra is just a 'better' club. Thanks.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It sounds like you're producing better delivery/launch conditions with the Cobra.
This could be down to many things including centre of gravity, actual loft ( just because it says 10° doesn't mean it is), the Cobra could be producing less spin, the extra half inch moving your plane etc etc etc
Your swing just seems to get more out of the Cobra than the PXG....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The shaft can have a big bearing on how far the ball goes. If you are going to compare 2 drivers then ideally they should have the same shaft fitted.

I tried one of the PXG drivers when they had the offer on a hit it about 15 yards shorter than my TM M4 but the PXG came the Tensei blue shaft but I knew the orange was a better fit for me.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The shaft can have a big bearing on how far the ball goes. If you are going to compare 2 drivers then ideally they should have the same shaft fitted.

I tried one of the PXG drivers when they had the offer on a hit it about 15 yards shorter than my TM M4 but the PXG came the Tensei blue shaft but I knew the orange was a better fit for me.
As per OP it's the same shaft...one is 1/2 inch longer......so no real world difference to be honest.