Turning a Driver Slice into a Fade

DrGolfer

Visit site
Over the last few weeks, as a relatively new high handicap (30) golfer I’ve been focusing on developing a trustworthy stock swing that I can apply for my set and becoming a bit more attentive when it comes to course management.

I wasn’t doing anything crazy like focusing on shot shapes. What I’ve noticed though is that with 3 hybrid - 9 iron I hit straight or a slight draw when making good contact.

With 3 wood and driver I had a slicing tendency that’s turned into more of manageable fade (and shots getting less dispersed). On course this week I would tee off aiming to the left fairway side and found I stayed in play more and had much high higher percentage on the fairway (using shotscope to monitor).

So my question is should I be trying to fine tune my swing so my shot shape with the long clubs matches everything else OR do I try to ‘lock’ in a fade with driver/3 wood and continue making alignment adjustments on course?

Big85

Visit site
I was told by a golf coach that you play the game to your strengths. So in your case if that’s hitting a fade with the driver and putting you on play then play talk at shot. Then if you are hitting your irons straight and you are comfortable with that then that’s your go to shot with the irons. It doesn’t matter what the *** looks like it’s what goes down on the scorecard at the end and if that means fading with driver and drawing irons then so be it.

He also told me a scorecard doesn’t have pictures or video clips of your shots! Once you think in this way your scores will become better. It has in my case anyway

Jason.H

Visit site
Ive always tried and practice hitting a straight ball. On the range I put alignment sticks down and want to see a straight ball flight. In strong cross winds it gives me something to focus on. My playing partner plays a fade always has done. Some days he’s hitting a lot of fairways and sometimes he,s slicing it or it goes straight left into trouble.

D

Deleted member 1147

As a single figure golfer I find it difficult to hit a consistent shot/shape, so if, as a high handicapper, you’ve managed to find a way, stick with it and sell the recipe…you’ll make a fortune

DrGolfer

Visit site
As a single figure golfer I find it difficult to hit a consistent shot/shape, so if, as a high handicapper, you’ve managed to find a way, stick with it and sell the recipe…you’ll make a fortune

Lol I wish it would become consistent just a recent trend I saw in my analytics that worked on the course a few times. Today was a completely different story - I aligned for a fade and hit straight or a draw for most of the round…spent a lot of time in the rough or hunting for golf balls. My dispersion was better at least. Oh well

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Something to check, are the shorter clubs really draws, or small pulls?
It's quite easy to pull shorter clubs and fade longer ones.
If interested can search 'low point & swing path' and become lost on the vast interweb ?

DrGolfer

Visit site
Something to check, are the shorter clubs really draws, or small pulls?
It's quite easy to pull shorter clubs and fade longer ones.
If interested can search 'low point & swing path' and become lost on the vast interweb ?

It’s genuinely a tiny draw. Something my instructor pointed out to me because my tendency is to swing in to out and more recently (after reading some Christmas golf books) I’ve been experimenting with dropping my trail foot slightly back and my trail arm is slightly lower than my lead so I’ve dialled in my stock swing and, somewhat accidentally, a stock shape with hybrids/shorter clubs.

It’s been been really positive for my approach play but my driver/3W tee shots are giving me grief because I’m still unpredictable with them which is the biggest problem for me (I.e. staying in play).