Most daunting tee shot

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I remember wandering down to the first tee one Saturday morning. Must have been a club competition as the tee was about 175 yards. Too difficult for most of the people I watched.
The approach to 18 was also too difficult for most. Everyone was laying up short of the water in front of the green, trying to pitch on and seeing their ball land on the green then shoot over into the lake over the back.

The shire is a very challenging course, too tough for some of the hackers I’ve seen playing it :ROFLMAO:
I agree about the 1st, but 18 is pretty simple really. Those who can (or need to) get on the green in 2 are welcome to try - with severe consequences if they fail. There's generally lots of green to work with. I have to lay up, but have par-ed it several times doing so - though definitely not Saturday when the par - almost birdie - on 17 clinched our match!

sunshine

Visit site
The first at Harefield yonks ago. A muni, you had to get there before 5am to put a ball in the chute, a nap in the car, and then from 7, you then stood by the first, with your other 3, waiting for your ball to come out.
First shot, par 4, ob all down the right, I mean 3 yards off the tee, all down the right. Sloping fairway, right to left, to a green, tight to ob, big drop off left.
Could do worse than blow it two fairways left off the tee, but don't go right. Just don't.
Always with 50 odd people in the queue behind you.

In mitigation I think the hole was only about 330 yards. But I can understand how this tee shot could be intimidating.

Not heard anything of harefield in years. I know they lost a lot of holes to a gas pipe, is it still open?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can I throw in the 2nd at Almerimar?
OOB all down the left, trees all down the right and a viciously left to right sloping fairway.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
In mitigation I think the hole was only about 330 yards. But I can understand how this tee shot could be intimidating.

Not heard anything of harefield in years. I know they lost a lot of holes to a gas pipe, is it still open?

Down to 12 holes I think, and in rubbish condition.

330 yard par 4s, when you had been playing less than a few months, with loads of ob, in front of 50 odd guys was intimidating for me!

carldudley

Visit site
There's two for me, one is the 2nd and 18th at my local, the second is called 'the ravine' for good reason.

This pic is from the tee box - short 300-ish par 4, drive-able this time of year with hard fairway
2nd+Hole+London+Scottish+Golf+Club+-+Wimbledon+Common+Golf.jpg

The one that got the heart racing was at Dubai Creek, tee box is on the creek on a platform, you choose your aim carefully, got over it with a low drive and thoroughly relieved.

f26f31c455b381e83810b303fca65f1d.jpg

Reactions: Zig

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There's two for me, one is the 2nd and 18th at my local, the second is called 'the ravine' for good reason.

This pic is from the tee box - short 300-ish par 4, drive-able this time of year with hard fairway
2nd+Hole+London+Scottish+Golf+Club+-+Wimbledon+Common+Golf.jpg

The one that got the heart racing was at Dubai Creek, tee box is on the creek on a platform, you choose your aim carefully, got over it with a low drive and thoroughly relieved.

f26f31c455b381e83810b303fca65f1d.jpg

Top picture would be "Big Ravine" the second for London Scottish members playing on Wimbledon Common. Shortish at around 260 yards (from memory) and when it gets dry was driveable to a bowl shaped green that would collect the ball in. All good in principle but the carry is very daunting and looks a lot further than it actually is

Golfman15

Visit site
85262D59-543F-40B3-A7FD-44A9D67DCCC1.jpegBee

Been lucky enough to play golf in Dubai
The Montgomerie 18th hole certainly grabs your attention. This is a 600 yard par 5 and this is what you see from the tee, with the clubhouse being the low white building in the distance.
Like all good holes it is visually more intimidating than it really is, as the fairway is pinched in at several places, but with some wide landing areas. With some thought about you clubbing it is playable but man that water sure is a ball magnet