Most daunting tee shot

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25172

I’ve been looking at playing a open comp at Hankley Common in July which will be played of their purple tees.

Came across this picture of their 3rd hole, and just looking at the picture, my pulse went up a notch. According to my app it’s about 225 carry to reach the fairway, and having played the hole before from the yellow tees, it was tricky enough from there.

CFB39430-D855-4C79-96BB-035C4D052B60.jpeg

Do you have a particular tee shot that strikes you with fear? Not talking about your local bogey hole that you for some unexplainable reason cannot score on, but a tee shot where all you can see is danger and hazards and where you question if your shot will even reach fairway.

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The tee shot that I always struggle with (and I've faced it at least a dozen times) is the 4th tee on the Europa Course at La Cala. It's the most intimidating tee shot for me. Long par 4 that plays much longer than it's yardage, the tee shot needs to be hit to a tiny sliver of fairway, anything left is a lost ball into a wide river bed ravine, and anything right is lost in a cliff face covered in overgrowth. And if you manage that, you have to cross back over the river ravine to try to hit the green.
It's consistently the hardest par 4 I've ever played, and most of it is down to how difficult the tee shot is.
Have tried playing it many ways. Have even tried hitting a driver left of the river to the fairway there, but it's completely blind going that way and have never ever found a ball in play despite some solid straight strikes (or so I thought).
It doesn't help either, that I always have to play it with a blinding hangover from the night before.
http://www.lacalagolfhouse.com/campoeuropa/

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't understand holes like that. What do you do if you can only carry it 210? Just aim for the nicest looking bit of rough? That sort of thing wouldn't fill me with fear, more resignation of how pointless it is. The ones I find more daunting are any where you have to go through a very narrow gap, plus you can't afford to fade it because there's trouble on the right. 3rd tee at my course is like that, and subsequently is my least favourite tee of the round.

i*windows

Visit site
I’ve been looking at playing a open comp at Hankley Common in July which will be played of their purple tees.

Came across this picture of their 3rd hole, and just looking at the picture, my pulse went up a notch. According to my app it’s about 225 carry to reach the fairway, and having played the hole before from the yellow tees, it was tricky enough from there.

View attachment 31091

Do you have a particular tee shot that strikes you with fear? Not talking about your local bogey hole that you for some unexplainable reason cannot score on, but a tee shot where all you can see is danger and hazards and where you question if your shot will even reach fairway.

no I don't have any I fear, but this one looks good doesn't it? would be looking to hit it down the right side either on this fairway, if I hit it great if not then I bail out to the next fairway. But a 225 carry is stiff, especially if it was into a wind, I wouldn't fancy that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One morning many, many moons ago I found myself quaking in my boots (and nursing a serious hangover) standing on the 1st a Royal Birkdale. Quaking as the tee shot was daunting in any case (RB after all) - but more so given my condition and that I was being video'd and had an audience of a good dozen or so. Somehow got it on the fairway.

16th at Pitlochry I always found very daunting. A 180yd downhill par 3 doesn't really do it justice :)

Reactions: Zig

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
200 carry will see you bounce up onto the fairway on 3. Id be more worried about the tee shot on the 7th from the purple tees to be honest, 205 to the middle of the green that if you miss the short stuff and you can find it among the heather a bogey will be damn good going.

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For long carries just to reach the fairways, West Cliffs in Portugal off the two hardest sets of tees has some seriously challenging shots. The wind is usually blowing strong off the Atlantic too. But the views are so amazing, you don't worry so much. Golfing heaven !

Here's the 18th hole :

D

Deleted member 3432

Don't understand holes like that. What do you do if you can only carry it 210? Just aim for the nicest looking bit of rough? That sort of thing wouldn't fill me with fear, more resignation of how pointless it is. The ones I find more daunting are any where you have to go through a very narrow gap, plus you can't afford to fade it because there's trouble on the right. 3rd tee at my course is like that, and subsequently is my least favourite tee of the round.

Clubs will only use the very back tees with carries like this very rarely during the year, perrhaps scratch opens or club chamionships as its simply too long a carry for the average golfer.

Ours are only used during club comps for CC qualifier and a monthly Stableford comp. I estimate 85% of our members can't reach the 13th fairway from the back tee and loads chip a wedge down the side of the 12th.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

View attachment 31091

Looks like a bail out pitch onto the forward tee or 2nd green :)

D

Deleted member 25172

200 carry will see you bounce up onto the fairway on 3. Id be more worried about the tee shot on the 7th from the purple tees to be honest, 205 to the middle of the green that if you miss the short stuff and you can find it among the heather a bogey will be damn good going.

I’ve no problem carry what is needed there to be honest, but for me, it’s a phsycological thing knowing I have to unless I’m gonna be in the s*it that is a bit daunting. And when it gets to your head, the old slice is more than happy to show its ugly face again as well... :)

D

Deleted member 25172

For long carries just to reach the fairways, West Cliffs in Portugal off the two hardest sets of tees has some seriously challenging shots. The wind is usually blowing strong off the Atlantic too. But the views are so amazing, you don't worry so much. Golfing heaven !

Here's the 18th hole :

Yep. That is officially daunting as well!

D

Deleted Member 1156

View attachment 31091

Is this the mid am? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much as I'm afraid it is unlikely you'll get in if you are still off 8. It usually ballots out around 4 I think.

D

Deleted member 25172

Is this the mid am? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much as I'm afraid it is unlikely you'll get in if you are still off 8. It usually ballots out around 4 I think.

Yes, that’s the one. And yes, I’m fully aware of that as well after doing my research from last year, seeing that the highest handicap entered was 6.

It’s still a daunting tee shot though! :)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dr Mackenzie liked a bit of rough in front of his tee boxes and I seem to remember Moortown having a healthy carry on one hole, rough followed by a ditch, although I can't remember which one. It was not as daft as the hole quoted but it certainly made me concentrate. I'm not a fan of big carrys being required, partly because i am not a big hitter but partly because it is a bit blunt.

A hole that has always done for me is the 10th at Oakdale GC in Harrogate. I can't find a suitable picture but it is a dog leg left, out of bounds left, tight fairway. So much to mess with your head.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Out of curiosity I just measured it on google earth, about 205 carry from the middle of the back tee so bit of an optical illusion. I've played it from that tee a few times and don't ever recall it being too much of a problem. I think the hole needs it as it's almost driveable from the forward tee and the next hole is another one you can get close to the green on. Fingers crossed you get in to the event, with Covid it could put off a lot of people.

D

Deleted member 25172

Out of curiosity I just measured it on google earth, about 205 carry from the middle of the back tee so bit of an optical illusion. I've played it from that tee a few times and don't ever recall it being too much of a problem. I think the hole needs it as it's almost driveable from the forward tee and the next hole is another one you can get close to the green on. Fingers crossed you get in to the event, with Covid it could put off a lot of people.

As I haven’t played it from there it just looked very scary from the picture. I hope to see it through my own eyes though, but not until next year, as already figured I won’t get in with current handicap anyway. It’s almost fully booked by now so not gonna part way with money just to have to wait to get it back.