Most awkward moment??

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Having read through the posts on missing tiddlers - it made me think of the awkward moments that a game of golf can throw up, like....

1) When your partner has just missed a 2 footer and hurls his ball (and/or putter) into the trees. Stoney silence follows.

2) When your partner just carves his tee shot out of bounds. If you say, "bad luck old boy" you can probably expect to take a driver to the head.

3) When playing foursomes, you loose your playing partner's Pro V1 and all you've got in your bag is a 3 year-old Donnay. Never good.

Any more to add to the list????

BigStu

Hacker
Visit site
Your playing partner tees off straight into the low winter sun where you do your very best to follow the ball and see it start off fairly straight. Some how you have lost it in flight and just can't quite see it finish. Of course your partner asks "Did you see where it finished?". You reply nervously "It did start straight, it should be fine". Of course when you get up to where you thought it should be there is no sign! A triple bogey is the result.

After a some complaining about bad luck (which you feel very guilty about) the stoney silence follows for the next few holes.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting what you say about people saying "bad luck" when you've sprayed one into the trees. Don't ever say "well out" to your brother in law (off 2) when he thins a fairway bunker shot into the lip and the ball trickles over and onto the fairway. I tried it once.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another awkward moment was when I scored 42 Stableford points off a 20 handicap and won the prize at a golf day. Why do lower handicappers automatically assume that if a high handicapper shoots a good score they must be cheating?

Topper_Harley

Medal Winner
Visit site
Most awkward moment for me was throwing my putter from the green after missing a three or four footer. In my defence I was only about eleven but it did land at the feet of the lady captain of my former club in the Midlands as she stood on the next tee.

Because of my young age it was dad that bore the brunt of her anger. Suffice to say I was banned from the course by my parents for a couple of months over the summer holidays.

Other than that I once played with a friend of mine who took six shots in a bunker. You want to suggest that he plays out sideways after the third failed attempt but things aren't that easy are they...?

Shooter_McGavin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
For me it has to be my inability to bite my tongue when an opponent has an outrageous piece of luck, i cant help but make a sarcastic comment. In a tight game last week my opponent thinned a chip through the green, i thought i had the hole won but then he proceeded to chip in for par.He had a shot on the hole and my beautifully struck birdie missed, resulting in the most annoying of two hole swings, i couldn't stop my self from mentioning how lucky he had been and that he should be ashamed to win in such a manor! As you can probably gather i'm still bitter!

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
Most awkward moment..

When you are playing and find a Titliest Pro V1 or some other premium ball in the rough, you look around but cannot see anyone who may have hit the shot, do you leave it or claim it?

You don't want to leave a good ball to someone else to collect, but then again you don't want the embarrasment of someone suddenly appearing 20 seconds later clearly looking for that ball!!!!

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When you think the guys in front are out of range and you drive off only to watch them turn round with their arms aloft as your ball trundles past them. I hate the feeling when you're walking up to apologise and you're not sure if they'll take it with good humour.

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My mates and I had queued at a pay and play for over an hour and finally got to the front. We were playing off mats and one of my partners teed up and cracked a ball into the kerb at the front of the tee box. The ball ricocheted back over our heads, over the queue of people, over the clubhouse and into the carpark. That was quite an awkward moment.

funnyoldgame

Visit site
Playing with a work colleague a couple of months back and he had only been playing for two or three weeks. A four ball on the next tee decided to let us through. I knew he weren't too keen having an audience so I went first and drove it down the fairway. As he walked up to take his shot he whispered to me, "I can't do this". I said just relax you will be fine. He took his shot that trickled about ten feet in front of him. As he turned round he said to the fourball,"I'm having a mare today" I just about suppressed my laughter but at the same time did feel sorry for him.

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A guy at our club sliced one massively off the second tee over the trees that bound the course, it flew over the road beyond them and into a garage on the other side. Unfortunately his ball went straight through someone's windscreen. The irate guy came storming over onto the course holding the Titleist. He approached and asked "Is this your ball." My pal said "Yes it is." The man then says, "Well, it's just gone straight through my windscreen. What are you going to do about it?" The reply was, "Erm, I think I'll have to strengthen my grip a little on the next shot."

Visit site
don't you just hate it when everyone is hitting them as far as you can see and then you go and mess it up completely and hit it a metre or so? well thats happened loads.