Annual Handicap Review - World Handicap System

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Recently a regular playing partner sent us all a spreadsheet he had built where you could cut and paste your last 20 rounds and it would calculate what he thinks will be close to the WHS handicap when this comes along in 2020.

The key thing was that were several players who had not played to their handicap all year - generally more than 7 x 0.1 increases on the bounce and no adjustment by the club of their handicaps under the continuous review process.

Under his spreadsheet they would possibly be looking at 2 or 3 shot increases in handicap if it is at all accurate.

Today I received an email about the annual handicap review and it got me thinking.

Will there be more focus by the powers that be on handicaps for January 2019 and during 2019 to be a bit more proactive in the reviews (generally next to no changes) and will they start changing more handicaps upwards and downwards ?

Is there an WHS algorithm being built into the next 12 months as they get all the courses rated etc otherwise it appears there could be some quite large swings when it comes into effect in January 2020 as it does state in briefings the best 8 of the last 20 rounds will drive your revised handicap.

Any one got an inside track on this ?

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I added up my best 8 from my last 20 for this season and gives me an average of 76.6, I wonder what that would give me as a handicap as we have 3 different tees which give 3 different SSS's which is usually 3 different css's.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am also fairly sure it is not your average of the best 8 in 20, there is a multiplier, which is not currently known. Something like 0.8 ish? Could be rubbish though!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
At the WHS seminar I attended last week they advised that the Annual review for the next two is used and used aggressively to increase/decrease a players handicap subject to the usual evidence .
WHS will not come into being until around mid to late Aug 2020 as they hope to be able to run the two side by side so players can see what their handicap under WHS is likely to be whilst still playing under CONGU one
Also the maths will work all handicaps off the slope of 113 .

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The key thing was that were several players who had not played to their handicap all year - generally more than 7 x 0.1 increases on the bounce and no adjustment by the club of their handicaps under the continuous review process.

QUOTE]

Having 7 x 0.1 increases does not necessarily get a handicap increase.

1. They have to be consecutive increases to appear on the continuous review.

2. If the player has scored to or better than the buffer zone even once during the current year they are deferred until the annual review.

3. If their scores are close to the buffer zone they are likely to be deferred until the Annul Review when we do the reviews.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I added up my best 8 from my last 20 for this season and gives me an average of 76.6, I wonder what that would give me as a handicap as we have 3 different tees which give 3 different SSS's which is usually 3 different css's.

I'm guessing the WHS is using the USGA handicapping model, as I have not really looked in to the nuts and bones of it yet. If it is then the USGA handicap is worked out like this.

(Score - Course Rating) x 113 / Slope Rating

SO you would need to know the slope and rating of your course to work it out accurately.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm guessing the WHS is using the USGA handicapping model, as I have not really looked in to the nuts and bones of it yet. If it is then the USGA handicap is worked out like this.

(Score - Course Rating) x 113 / Slope Rating

SO you would need to know the slope and rating of your course to work it out accurately.
The conversion algorithm will not use the USGA formula directly. As you say, to do this slope and rating is needed. Some courses will have only just been rated. Many players will not have played 20 times since their course was rated. The rating and slope would be needed for Away scores. etc. The algorithm simply uses the theoretical average of 113 for slope and (I think) the SSS or CR at the time the round was posted. They are still refining the details of the formula but I understand that most handicaps are expected to go up a tad.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am also fairly sure it is not your average of the best 8 in 20, there is a multiplier, which is not currently known. Something like 0.8 ish? Could be rubbish though!
Currently the USGA uses 96% but I gather it will be slightly different. But I can't remember if it is up or down :unsure:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
WHS will not come into being until around mid to late Aug 2020....

That's interesting...I was told by one of the current handicapping software vendors a month or so ago that the concensus was that it wasn't going to happen in January and was more likely to be late 2020.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
we were under the impression that your best 8 from your last 20 scores would be your new handicap on the 1st Jan 2020???

if that not the case do i have to hold off on putting loads of bad scores in the end of next year? ;)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's interesting...I was told by one of the current handicapping software vendors a month or so ago that the concensus was that it wasn't going to happen in January and was more likely to be late 2020.
upsidedown said:
WHS will not come into being until around mid to late Aug 2020....

What is the difference?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
we were under the impression that your best 8 from your last 20 scores would be your new handicap on the 1st Jan 2020???
Not quite. It is the average of the best 8 * 94% (not sure of the exact figure).
The system will also be able to ‘remember’ good scores, even when they have dropped out of the last 20.
But as has been said above, the implementation for the UK is more likely to be the back end of 2020.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not quite. It is the average of the best 8 * 94% (not sure of the exact figure).
The system will also be able to ‘remember’ good scores, even when they have dropped out of the last 20.
But as has been said above, the implementation for the UK is more likely to be the back end of 2020.
so i'll have to wait to make my debut on the Trilby Tour:ROFLMAO: