What is the most sporting gesture you have witnessed in golf?

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Playing for the club in a friendly a few weeks ago, I was partnered with a 16hcp. He is a very good player tee to green but is suffering from the yips badly, really struggling from a few feet out.

We were playing against homers long lost twin and another mildmannered gent.

The game was going to and thro but we found ourselves level on the 5th hole, on the green my partner was 2 1/2 foot from the pin on a downhill sloping lie. Opponent 2 had about a 5 footer to halve, we had all painfully witnessed my partners troubles and he had already missed a 3 foot (easier) putt on the second for a win.

To mine and my partners surprise his putt was given without a thought and the match carried on in this vein. I didn't know at the time but turns out he was the other teams captain.

He trounced us with steady golf despite us playing well and his partner not helping much.

I had a great respect for him throughout as to be honest me and my partner I suspect might not have been as thoughtful and kind, even though it's a friendly its always played in a competitive manner.

Last edited:

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played a club match once and was 1 down playing 16. This green had a real disease problem. I put my approach stone inside six inches to be conceded and he followed up to within three feet but had a huge fusarium mark between his ball and the hole. I conceded his putt as I thought it unfair to make him play through such a mark. I lost the match 1 down.

Got into the club having put my stuff away and he insisted on buying our entire team drinks and he also wrote a really nice letter to the County complimenting me on my sportsmanship.

I was pretty stunned - I would have expected anyone to have done something the same in that situation. But it was a great memory.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Jack Nicklaus conceding Tony Jacklin's putt for a halved match on the 18th in the Ryder Cup must come high on the listo

Speaking personally, I was playing in a match for the accountants v the bankers when I inadvertently picked up my ball on the 17th green, thinking we had the half when we didn't On the way to the next tee my partner pointed this out. One oft our opponents said "don't worry, you would have holed that". The most generous banker I've ever met.

D

Deleted member 21258

Played a club match once and was 1 down playing 16. This green had a real disease problem. I put my approach stone inside six inches to be conceded and he followed up to within three feet but had a huge fusarium mark between his ball and the hole. I conceded his putt as I thought it unfair to make him play through such a mark. I lost the match 1 down.

Got into the club having put my stuff away and he insisted on buying our entire team drinks and he also wrote a really nice letter to the County complimenting me on my sportsmanship.

I was pretty stunned - I would have expected anyone to have done something the same in that situation. But it was a great memory.

That is a great story, not sure I would have, but big thumbs up for you giving that putt.:thup:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing in match going down the 12 there was a huge hail stone storm and the temperature dropped quite a few degrees. I only had lightweight. waterproofs on.

As we were going down the 14th one of the opposition could see how much I was shaking with the cold and conceded the match despite the fact they still had an opportunity to win.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing in match going down the 12 there was a huge hail stone storm and the temperature dropped quite a few degrees. I only had lightweight. waterproofs on.

As we were going down the 14th one of the opposition could see how much I was shaking with the cold and conceded the match despite the fact they still had an opportunity to win.
Consider that he was probably freezing his knackers off as well though, probably couldn't wait to get in, haha.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Good of you to do that.

Out of interest, is there a rule in place for this sort of occurrence? i.e. if there is damage done to a green which is not immediately repairable but hasn't been designated as GUR and someone finds themselves having to putt through it, are they not allowed to move their ball to give a clear line?

I'm by no means a rules expert, but with all the seemingly millions of rules within golf, I'd be surprised if there wasn't one for this sort of scenario!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good of you to do that.

Out of interest, is there a rule in place for this sort of occurrence? i.e. if there is damage done to a green which is not immediately repairable but hasn't been designated as GUR and someone finds themselves having to putt through it, are they not allowed to move their ball to give a clear line?

I'm by no means a rules expert, but with all the seemingly millions of rules within golf, I'd be surprised if there wasn't one for this sort of scenario!

If there is such a rule I wish I knew about it, some of the crud I've putted through! It's just bad luck and in the case of matchplay can be resolved with common sense and sportsmanship. In stroke play, close your eyes and hope for the best :)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Junior sharing his brolley with me as we walked back to the clubhouse at Murcar. Felt like a couple of artic explorers trying to reach the North Pole.;)

Never seen my partner Stu move so fast as he ran back to the clubhouse for another pint.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At Forest Pines this year I was playing Irip in the singles.
Nip and tuck all the way, no more than a hole in it all then way round.
We get get to last, a par 3 and we're all square. We both hit the green but well away from the hole
Both putted up to about 3 feet and then I heard the words " Good, Good?"
Took it straightaway...would have been a shame for one of us to lose it on a 3 footer on the last.
As it happens our score didn't sway the match as the Oldies smashed the Young'uns good and proper!!:thup:

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think that could be another thread what is the biggest comeback/reverse you have suffered/inflicted. Personally this years foursomes we were 4 up after 4, then lost the next 5 on the trot and eventually the match. :(

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At Forest Pines this year I was playing Irip in the singles.
Nip and tuck all the way, no more than a hole in it all then way round.
We get get to last, a par 3 and we're all square. We both hit the green but well away from the hole
Both putted up to about 3 feet and then I heard the words " Good, Good?"
Took it straightaway...would have been a shame for one of us to lose it on a 3 footer on the last.
As it happens our score didn't sway the match as the Oldies smashed the Young'uns good and proper!!:thup:

Are you sure that's the most sporting gesture you have seen? I would have assumed fragger would be giving everything within 6 foot to his good bro!

Personally at forest pines I was making Rosecott putt everything out even from 1 foot even when I was 5 up. You never know he might be gasping for a wee and miss it ;)

Have to teach irip to be more ruthless to the old gits next time so we have a chance 😁

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Have to teach irip to be more ruthless to the old gits next time so we have a chance 😁

Judging by last year's pathetic show by the Whippersnappers that'll long after us current batch of old'uns have hung up our golf shoes. 🤣 ( and we've got the legend that is Smiffy next year too)

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was playing a few weeks ago and my opponent had a nasty chip to the green.
On his backswing I sneezed very loudly and he dunched his shot about three feet.
I told him to retake the shot, but he wouldn't because that's not within the rules, but he said for me not to worry as it wasn't for the ryder cup.
I felt so bad that I hit my 20ft putt 6 inches sideways, just to even things up.
We laughed all the way to the next tee!