Money grabbing and useless

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I shot off to Seaford, all good but it was a long drive but am thinking of country membership

I am curious about country membership

To be a country member where I play you have to have been a member of the club who has now moved to more than 50 miles away and be a member of another club. If it seen that your frequenting the club rather more more than expected from a country member you are politely asked to cough up the full members fee.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Can you elaborate on this as I don't fully understand what you mean??? Maybe I am being thick or something.....that wouldn't be the first time to be fair.
Out of all the things you say you want from a golf club, Crowborough Beacon still sounds favourite to me. Membership is a bit high at just over £1,500.00 full playing, but according to their website, the joining fee has been suspended. It's about the going rate though for a quality course down South. The driving distance from Wadhurst to Crowborough is about 8 miles. Most people would give their eye teeth to have a course of this quality so close to their home.
It's one of the best courses in the area and drains reasonably well. It doesn't have the best practice facilities around I'll grant you, but during my membership there I managed to get down to 10 by utilising them together with a few lessons from the pro and playing a lot.
How much lower do you want to go???
Bearing in mind that your very first post enquiring about membership in East Sussex was on the 24th November, you've only given it two weeks!!
I absolutely loved being a member there. I considered it an honour and a privilege to be able to wear the club tie. I only left because I moved away from the area, if I were still living in Uckfield, the chances are I would still be a member there.
The current climate is making it difficult for everybody. You may need to "jump through a few hoops" at the moment to get membership somewhere, but I certainly wouldn't give up after two weeks.
Unless the quoted words of yours above meant you had to stand in a candle lit room with one trouser leg rolled up holding half an orange and chanting a mantra, I'd not be put off.
I certainly agree with all of this (perhaps with a caveat re the last part of the 1st sentence)! CB was generally our 1st choice when I was working in that area (TW)!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am curious about country membership

To be a country member where I play you have to have been a member of the club who has now moved to more than 50 miles away and be a member of another club. If it seen that your frequenting the club rather more more than expected from a country member you are politely asked to cough up the full members fee.

At Crowborough beacon the only requirement is that you live more than 15 miles away (measured by road). That’s a great deal for anyone that has the time to make the journey.

Most I’ve seen don’t require membership at another club.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Can you elaborate on this as I don't fully understand what you mean??? Maybe I am being thick or something.....that wouldn't be the first time to be fair.

Think he means they will only "meet" with him to discuss via video conferencing as all their staff are working from home. Seems reasonable under the current situation. Most businesses are working that way.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the golf club is open, how can all the staff be working from home?

Surely there's a manager there to speak to people regarding membership, even it's on the phone at first?

Presumably the course is open, but the full clubhouse facilities are not open.

Apart from greenkeepers, why wouldn't they be working from home? What duties do they have that cannot be done remotely (apart from some people not liking video calls)?

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is that a joke?
You think a golf club manager could just sit at home and let his club run itself?

Whilst the clubhouse is closed due to covid, sure.

Please do enlighten me as to what the club manager should be doing on site sitting in his office in a closed clubhouse?
What staff actually need to be present at the course apart from greenkeepers?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If the golf club is open, how can all the staff be working from home?

Surely there's a manager there to speak to people regarding membership, even it's on the phone at first?

Our GM is in the office albeit on shorter hours but a 7 day a week presence to take phone calls, running the payroll, collecting the monthly membership DD's, paying bills etc. Helps that she lives on site but I think it is a positive thing to have a presence especially if the course is open

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our GM is in the office albeit on shorter hours but a 7 day a week presence to take phone calls, running the payroll, collecting the monthly membership DD's, paying bills etc. Helps that she lives on site but I think it is a positive thing to have a presence especially if the course is open

None of those tasks actually require being on site though, all could be satisfactorily undertaken remotely.

sunshine

Visit site
Do people come to the clubhouse every month with their membership subscription in cash? That’s a good reason to be on site as she has to go and bank it. But a bit archaic.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Surely she had to go in to press the monthly DD button.....?!

Sily me, makes sense now, clearly the whole admin team would have to go in, as the monthly DD button requires a unique code of which each admin team member controls 1/4 of but does not have knowledge of the parts controlled by the other 3 team members. Only 1 rung below the system used for the nuclear launch codes, which makes sense, as that more secure system is used for the handicap computer system! ;):ROFLMAO:

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sily me, makes sense now, clearly the whole admin team would have to go in, as the monthly DD button requires a unique code of which each admin team member controls 1/4 of but does not have knowledge of the parts controlled by the other 3 team members. Only 1 rung below the system used for the nuclear launch codes, which makes sense, as that more secure system is used for the handicap computer system! ;):ROFLMAO:

But at least they can answer the phone for any members that don’t have access to the internet [ie those that can’t be bothered] to book a tee-time.....

D

Deleted member 18588

I hope you realise that "sit at home" and "work from home" are two different things?
I think the service provided by many organisations throughout the pandemic has shown that "work from home" has often meant "sat at home".

Or on the golf course or out on a bike ride.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
None of those tasks actually require being on site though, all could be satisfactorily undertaken remotely.

Not sure there is a lot of difference as the office is about 100 yards from where she lives (on site). By being in the office she is a presence for members playing who may have questions, is there to take phone calls (as the OP has proven not getting a reply when calling to make enquiries is annoying) and to keep the day to day duties ticking over

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure there is a lot of difference as the office is about 100 yards from where she lives (on site). By being in the office she is a presence for members playing who may have questions, is there to take phone calls (as the OP has proven not getting a reply when calling to make enquiries is annoying) and to keep the day to day duties ticking over

Is she the only club staff then......a £1m clubhouse run by 1 member of staff?