County memberships - thoughts on this one....

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
It sets a precedent if they let someone in who lives 47 miles away, they then have to let anyone who lives less in as well.
Thin end of the wedge and all that.
They have to draw a line for these things and once drawn needs to be maintained

Agreed, there will be people trying to join 40miles away next, then 30 miles away. Slippery slope when you do it for one you have to do it for all.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Rules are rules at clubs, if its passed at the AGM and its a members club.. thats it simple as.

Ive a been a country member of a couple of clubs and there were over 50 miles and there were restrictions on how many sign ons and how many comps you could play.

when i was a member at Tain i lived 49 miles from the place and you had to be over 50 to get country membership. its a slippery slope if there were exceptions.

D

Deleted member 17920

We have just been sorting ours out - you only have to pay levy at the club which is your home club
That's not quite right phil.

I'm a member of a club in 2 different counties so I had to pay the county fee in addition to subs but that was it
yes, you only pay another county union fee if it's a different county union to what your home club is in.

D

Deleted member 15344

That's not quite right phil.

yes, you only pay another county union fee if it's a different county union to what your home club is in.

Sorry yes - we only didn't have to pay for guys Levys if they had an away club within the same Union

Cheers for the correction :thup:

D

Deleted member 1147

Is it 50 miles as the crow flies or shortest route by road?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers all

I totally get that they may not want to set a precedence and i get that they may not be struggling for membership but 5k is 5k. If we all hung around for 5 years then that is a large sum of cash they have just lost out on.

As for giving an incorrect address. I am sure my mate would soon get scuppered when they as for a utility bill as proof.

The 4 of us that live and work locally could sign him on as a guest, but he would not be able to gain an official HC and he does want to.

It makes not odds now as we will all be Joining Chorley again this year. Us on a full 7 day and him on a really reduced pay and play ticket. Benefits are that we can all stick together and get a HC again.

Another option is for you all to sign him on as suggested, but he could join a local muni and get his handicap from there, even if he just plays a few comps a year, and on weekends while he's there.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers all

I totally get that they may not want to set a precedence and i get that they may not be struggling for membership but 5k is 5k. If we all hung around for 5 years then that is a large sum of cash they have just lost out on.

As for giving an incorrect address. I am sure my mate would soon get scuppered when they as for a utility bill as proof.

The 4 of us that live and work locally could sign him on as a guest, but he would not be able to gain an official HC and he does want to.

It makes not odds now as we will all be Joining Chorley again this year. Us on a full 7 day and him on a really reduced pay and play ticket. Benefits are that we can all stick together and get a HC again.

As an overall package Bolton seems average at best.

They've probably done you a favour.