Membership help

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
If you rate Silvermere, and I’ll be honest I don’t rate the course and the club house, shop and range are 1st class though, have you looked at Pine Ridge. Just up the road from Camberley Heath, certainly better than Silvermere definitely more affordable than Camberley.

Pine Ridge only seem to do 5 day memberships as they are principally a pay and play, annoyingly

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
that's really helpful thank you, what's Ealing like as a club, that is also 30 minutes away, seems like I'm 30 minutes away from everything. What are the subs

Ealing is good. Greens are incredible, and legitimately the best you’ll find anywhere. Full membership is about £2k theres no joining fee though, and it’s less if you’re under 35.

Saw your other comment about East Berks / Windlesham.

East Berks is a great little course. I really enjoy that place and will drain well throughout the year.

Windlesham was very wet the one time I played it and for me is priced for the region, rather than for its offering. It’s closest neighbours are Swinley Forest and The Berkshire but it’s nothing like either in terms of the land itself, and I think is £2k+ With a joining fee too which feels a little punchy. Although don’t want to be too negative as I’m sure there’s others with more knowledge of the place

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
does anyone have any opinions on Windlesham or East Berkshire. Both just about in range and a better price
East Berks I really like the course club house is very dated, feels quite old fashioned. Windlesham, I like the course but I had mate who was a member and he said it was mostly temp greens in the winter. Great clubhouse but I never saw it busy.

HantsHacker

Visit site
I am a member at East Berks, obviously bias but a good challenge, not long but good mix of par 4s to keep you entertained. Course now very well maintained and greens are excellent in the summer. There is waiting list at the moment though.

As others have said, anything around J3 of the M3 will be 2k plus in subs a year. Windlesham is on the boggiest terrain and does not have the heather and pines of the nearby big names.

Looking elsewhere, Pyrford could be an option but not played it in a very long time.

FELL75

Visit site
Joined Ascot 6 months ago (cheers Homer), friendly club, good test, excellent greens. A couple of wet holes in winter but holds up pretty well. Obviously not in the league of some of the other courses in the area (swinley, Berkshire etc) but good value. DM me if you have any questions, happy to help.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How is it through the winter?

I wouldn’t know over the last few months :(

But it’s been getting better every year. It’ll never be as dry as a heathland due to the heavy clay it’s built on but there’s more drainage going in all the time - and I was putting cards in through December until we were locked down.

Greens hold up incredibly well too, and hardly ever on temporaries - maybe once a year for frost, but that would be a super rare occurrence.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
thanks everyone, really helpful stuff

Ealing is also on a waiting list

West Mid is indeed cheap, didn't realise how cheap it was. I've played it once quite a quirky course as I remember.

Will look into Ascot a bit more that could tick all the boxes

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
If it’s not a bit forward, are you now permanently up here, or will you be returning to more pleasant pastures? If the latter, might it be worth looking for a flexible membership scheme that doesn’t involve a joining fee? Apologies if that’s already been looked at.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
If it’s not a bit forward, are you now permanently up here, or will you be returning to more pleasant pastures? If the latter, might it be worth looking for a flexible membership scheme that doesn’t involve a joining fee? Apologies if that’s already been looked at.

It's a bit up in the air, will probably move at some point. Annoyingly could be anywhere between 2-10 years which makes a big difference on whether to pay a joining fee.

The other issue is I can generally only play weekends, which makes the flexi memberships quite expensive, I worked out I can get about 15 rounds in before having to buy more credits. I have seen some courses have started to offering weekend memberships, but nothing close enogh to me. That would be perfect

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Something else that we might not be used to moving into the London area is the traffic.
What Google Maps tells you is a 30 minute journey could easily be an hour or more given the wrong conditions, and that's not a pleasant hour drive, it's stop start stop start.

the places in Surrey Heath are generally about 30 mins, I am a couple of minutes from the M3 which is clear. Places like Silvermere I have been to a fair bit and does take 30 minuts. Though you are right places a bit further away and Londony can be a lot more

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
rather annoyingly Selsdon Manor which I really enjoy playing is under £1000 for membership, but at an hour there and back is just not doable. If it were 40 mins maybe. but can't be driving an hour each way

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all your help, I have talked it through with my wife. I think given the circumstances of work, and possibly moving, I will stay at my current course which is very cheap to keep my handicap going and close enough to play impromptu rounds. Then will use the extra cash to play in opens and try and tick off some of the top courses.

Once we know what we are doing long term then I will look at joining a better club

Grizzly

Visit site
Heard very good things about the condition of Ealing - I think the head greens keeper a master. Don't quote me on that just what I heard.

I had a round there when I was looking for a club to join last year - and I agree the condition of the greens is quite amazing - we were able to putt properly on every hole, even when the rain got seriously heavy. The overall condition didn't strike me as anything special though, and I was quietly warned that getting a weekend teetime can be a significant challenge.