MLR K1...pace of play

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Again, it's his choice. If he's paid his membership he should be allowed to play at his own natural pace, he shouldn't be forced to play at a speed he's not comfortable playing or to spend £15 for a buggy every week.
Obviously, if he goes out first and takes 5 hours in a comp, that will affect the whole field. If he goes out last with his fellow slow coaches, he will affect no-one.
Plus, we're only talking about a few players, maybe 2 tee times at either end. 6-8 sprinters who go out first and therefor not held up (happy) and the few slow guys out last who bimble round (happy).

For decades, mixing slow with fast players means nobody's happy and any amount of education and ready golf has had virtually no affect.
Just out of interest, to all those who say it wouldn't work, has your club tried anything similar?
If this is such an easy solution why is it still a problem. If slow players wanted a "relaxed round" they would already be booking a later tee time, fast players the opposite. Simply golfers have lifes outside the club and wish to play at a time that suits their lifestyle, if committees tried to force members to play at a time that suits the pace of play theire would be uproar.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If this is such an easy solution why is it still a problem.
Because no one has tried it. They just want to force everyone to play at a pace decided by someone else and it won't work. It's never worked in the 50 years I've had to endure it. And it's getting worse.

I clearly remember people complaining about 4 hour rounds but they were few and far between, now 4+hours is the norm.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
JULY MONTHLY MEDAY
THE ABOVE GROUPS WILL BE EXPECTED TO COMPLETE THEIR ROUNDS IN 3.30 HOURS
etc
THE ABOVE GROUPS WILL BE EXPECTED TO COMPLETE THEIR ROUNDS IN under 4.0 HOURS

There will be no time restriction on the above three tee times

D

Deleted member 15344

Because no one has tried it. They just want to force everyone to play at a pace decided by someone else and it won't work. It's never worked in the 50 years I've had to endure it. And it's getting worse.

I clearly remember people complaining about 4 hour rounds but they were few and far between, now 4+hours is the norm.

We “asked a few members” to pick up their pace of play because during monitoring

They were given a number of options

Play as last as possible
Use a buggy if there are physical issues stopping them from moving quicker
Or they play at what time they want but they are required to keep up with the group in front - if there were issue reported by Marshalls then penalties would be applied

It doesn’t matter when slow players play - they will affect someone , we have some players than can only play at the end because of work etc

The slow players just carried on as per normal

And these aren’t physical issues why they are slow , they are habits , habits they refuse to change and some now are no longer allowed to enter comps at the weekend because their selfish acts were affecting many people who shouldn’t have to put up with their slow play

All governing bodies have brought in measures to tackle slow play , it’s even in the rules of golf , there should never be an attitude of “take as long as I like”

Unless I’m mistaken you don’t appear to play much golf these days so I’m not sure you fully understand how slow play affects many people and that for 99.9% of the time it’s down to attitude and play management

Slow play actually stops people playing golf , stops people playing in comps.

Yes people do need to be given a time limit of how long they should take to play a round of golf at any one course

D

Deleted member 29109

Great. So when I can only play after 4 on a Saturday and Sunday due to other commitments, I have to be stuck with the people who are going to take forever to get round.

Walking slowly generally isn’t the problem if people are efficient with their movements. It’s the faffing around, leaving bags in stupid places, taking ages over every shot, needing to walk to each ball as a group and so on that slows everyone down.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If it (MLR K1) were to be used and remain an effective tool in clubs, wouldn’t clubs have to update/amend the MLR fairly frequently to ‘edit’ their Pace of Play (round duration) to reflect the weather/comp format/group size/field size/course conditions and course set up

Otherwise it risks just being a nod to players saying ‘look we’re doing something’ because they'd be forced to use worst case scenario duration when that days play could/should be much faster

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The last pro event I played in was a pro-am at Louth.
We teed off at 1.14
We finished just before 7.
5.45 hrs.
I never played another pro event.

You seem determined to convince me that slow play is a problem. Don't bother I know. Also I know that prior commitments mean some people can't play earlier, so everybody else has to suffer because you cant organise your life/wife/shopping trips better.
If you tee off last in a comp it's going to take you 5 hours no matter what.

It’s the faffing around, leaving bags in stupid places, taking ages over every shot, needing to walk to each ball as a group and so on that slows everyone down.
No it doesn't it only affects those behind them and if they tee off last that means ....nobody.

And just in case anyone has forgotten, the normal rules of calling people through still applies

wjemather

Visit site

But you want to force players who do play at a reasonable pace to play early to accommodate those who are unwilling. That's just ridiculous.

At most courses, 4+ hours is not the norm at all - it's slow.

Almost no-one is incapable of playing at a reasonable pace.

The problem is not caused by people walking slowly and cannot be fixed by buggies. It is people who... don't assess their next shot until they get to their ball, don't prepare to play their shot until it's their turn, have excessively long pre-shot routines, are obsessive about using a line on their ball, use aimpoint, are forever rummaging around in their bag when it is their turn, won't suspend their conversations to play a shot, wait for greens/fairways to clear that are 50+ yards out of reach of their longest drive, spend more than 3 minutes looking for lost balls, don't play provisional balls, unnecessarily mark their balls on the green, leave their clubs on the wrong side of the green/40 yards away from their next shot, walk from ball to ball as a group (even when scattered across a wide area), etc., etc.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
But you want to force players who do play at a reasonable pace to play early to accommodate those who are unwilling. That's just ridiculous.
No.
The fast players go out first so they are not held up. 2-3 tee times at the most.
At most courses, 4+ hours is not the norm at all - it's slow.
I don't agree, I can't remember the last comp that took under 4 hours
Almost no-one is incapable of playing at a reasonable pace.

The problem is not caused by people walking slowly and cannot be fixed by buggies. It is people who... don't assess their next shot until they get to their ball, don't prepare to play their shot until it's their turn, have excessively long pre-shot routines, are obsessive about using a line on their ball, use aimpoint, are forever rummaging around in their bag when it is their turn, won't suspend their conversations to play a shot, wait for greens/fairways to clear that are 50+ yards out of reach of their longest drive, spend more than 3 minutes looking for lost balls, don't play provisional balls, unnecessarily mark their balls on the green, leave their clubs on the wrong side of the green/40 yards away from their next shot, walk from ball to ball as a group (even when scattered across a wide area), etc., etc.
For goodness sake, stop telling me why people are slow, I spent 50 years behind them so I'm well aware of why they're slow.
And here we are in 2023 still trying to force people to play faster and it still doesn't work.
I'll repeat my question from post no. 39...

"Just out of interest, to all those who say it wouldn't work, has your club tried anything similar?"

wjemather

Visit site
No.
The fast players go out first so they are not held up. 2-3 tee times at the most.

I don't agree, I can't remember the last comp that took under 4 hours

For goodness sake, stop telling me why people are slow, I spent 50 years behind them so I'm well aware of why they're slow.
And here we are in 2023 still trying to force people to play faster and it still doesn't work.
I'll repeat my question from post no. 39...

"Just out of interest, to all those who say it wouldn't work, has your club tried anything similar?"
No-one has tried your idea because it's ridiculous.

If you didn't need telling why people are slow, you wouldn't have suggested buggies would speed them up.

And it's not about forcing people to play faster, it simply educating them on how to conduct themselves on the course - something that used to be called etiquette. There is simply no excuse for the vast majority of behaviours that contribute to slow play. Yet you want to encourage and accommodate them!!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

If you'd care to look at post no.36 by LP, he said

"For 99.9% of golfers is physically possible to do that - the others are able to with the use of the buggy"
I replied in post no.39...
he shouldn't be forced to play at a speed he's not comfortable playing or to spend £15 for a buggy every week.

We were discussing people who physically aren't able to walk very fast

wjemather

Visit site
If you'd care to look at post no.36 by LP, he said

"For 99.9% of golfers is physically possible to do that - the others are able to with the use of the buggy"
I replied in post no.39...
he shouldn't be forced to play at a speed he's not comfortable playing or to spend £15 for a buggy every week.

We were discussing people who physically aren't able to walk very fast
Sure.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
4 Hours 15 mins is a perfect time to play a round of golf, have a chat with friends and leisure through the countryside, but it's ruined by the guys who want everyone to break out of the blocks, sprint round the course and not take in life passing by in 3 hours :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site
Not read all the comments, but I definitely wouldn't want to penalise a group for taking over a certain time to play a round, because:

1. Slow groups would be even less encouraged to let groups through, knowing it will add time onto their own rounds
2. Groups stick behind the slow group would also get penalised? Or would it be OK if they finished right behind them, but not OK if they themselves lost a hole or so on the slow group in front by the end of the round?
3. How do you manage it for a club comp? Have someone clocking everyone in and out?
4. You'd penalise players who played with a slow player. Would probably increase friction amongst club golfers, with many demanding they never get drawn with slow players. May make some golfers feel very unwelcome within their club, even if they are not actually that slow but rumour spreads around that they are.
5. A golfer may just be having a bad day, looking for a lot of balls. Perhaps more than one golfer in the group has this issue. They may spend less than 3 minutes looking for every ball, and actually be quick to play when they prepare and take shots but because it happens so often they have many shots, so they have a long round. Do golfers get time penalties for searching for balls, or would it be fairer to clock them between arriving to ball and taking shot? And that would require a timekeeper with every group.

Our club isn't too bad. Three ball groups, most comps are in handicap order. I'm usually out just before 9, and finished not long after 12. So, most rounds are about 3hrs 30. Was out a few groups later earlier in year, as handicap was about 3 higher than it is now, and a few rounds crept over 4 hrs, as one of the groups in front slowed things down. I don't think it was a common thing for the players involved to be slow, just that they were slow that day. Looking for balls more than normal, that sort of thing.

I agree that golfers who are consistently slow could and should be reminded as to how to speed up play. On the flip side, perhaps some of the golfers who like to play speed golf should also be reminded about their pace of play. At the end of the day, they are playing a sport that takes a good few hours to play, and if they can't bear the thought of playing a round of 4hrs every now and then, probably best to find a more time efficient hobby. Some golfers like to charge through their round, and expect a whole field of golfers in front of them to part like the Red Sea immediately they get behind them. Even if they have to wait 20 seconds, hands start getting thrown in the air. First World problems :)

DickInShorts

Visit site
A few thoughts:
It’s as bad to force slow players to play quicker as it is to force quick players to play slower - so it seems an almost impossible problem to alleviate without upsetting certain groups of each club.

If - as I often see - a group reaches a tee and they all stand there checking scores and entering them on a card - or app - and then decide who’s honour it is - spending just a minute on each tee then that is almost 20[17 being pedantic!) minutes added to their round.

As others have said penalties would likely affect all players in a group .

I think quicker players in a group should be encouraging their slow member to speed up - ‘Come on guys we’re in danger of losing/ we’ve lost a hole - we need to speed up’

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A few thoughts:
It’s as bad to force slow players to play quicker as it is to force quick players to play slower - so it seems an almost impossible problem to alleviate without upsetting certain groups of each club.

If - as I often see - a group reaches a tee and they all stand there checking scores and entering them on a card - or app - and then decide who’s honour it is - spending just a minute on each tee then that is almost 20[17 being pedantic!) minutes added to their round.

As others have said penalties would likely affect all players in a group .

I think quicker players in a group should be encouraging their slow member to speed up
- ‘Come on guys we’re in danger of losing/ we’ve lost a hole - we need to speed up’
I don't agree

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Not read all the comments, but I definitely wouldn't want to penalise a group for taking over a certain time to play a round, because:

1. Slow groups would be even less encouraged to let groups through, knowing it will add time onto their own rounds
2. Groups stick behind the slow group would also get penalised? Or would it be OK if they finished right behind them, but not OK if they themselves lost a hole or so on the slow group in front by the end of the round?
3. How do you manage it for a club comp? Have someone clocking everyone in and out?
4. You'd penalise players who played with a slow player. Would probably increase friction amongst club golfers, with many demanding they never get drawn with slow players. May make some golfers feel very unwelcome within their club, even if they are not actually that slow but rumour spreads around that they are.
5. A golfer may just be having a bad day, looking for a lot of balls. Perhaps more than one golfer in the group has this issue. They may spend less than 3 minutes looking for every ball, and actually be quick to play when they prepare and take shots but because it happens so often they have many shots, so they have a long round. Do golfers get time penalties for searching for balls, or would it be fairer to clock them between arriving to ball and taking shot? And that would require a timekeeper with every group.

Our club isn't too bad. Three ball groups, most comps are in handicap order. I'm usually out just before 9, and finished not long after 12. So, most rounds are about 3hrs 30. Was out a few groups later earlier in year, as handicap was about 3 higher than it is now, and a few rounds crept over 4 hrs, as one of the groups in front slowed things down. I don't think it was a common thing for the players involved to be slow, just that they were slow that day. Looking for balls more than normal, that sort of thing.

I agree that golfers who are consistently slow could and should be reminded as to how to speed up play. On the flip side, perhaps some of the golfers who like to play speed golf should also be reminded about their pace of play. At the end of the day, they are playing a sport that takes a good few hours to play, and if they can't bear the thought of playing a round of 4hrs every now and then, probably best to find a more time efficient hobby. Some golfers like to charge through their round, and expect a whole field of golfers in front of them to part like the Red Sea immediately they get behind them. Even if they have to wait 20 seconds, hands start getting thrown in the air. First World problems :)
There's so much in there I disagree with and I'd just be repeating myself.
But I will ask... why do you want the fast players to slow down and the slow players to speed up ?