MLR K1...pace of play

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What if the slow players won't accept the 3.00pm tee slot? If you aren't forcing them to play quicker then you are still forcing them to play when maybe they don't want to. At some point, the issue still has to be faced.

I get your point Bob but it needs those players to accept they are a problem.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
What if the slow players won't accept the 3.00pm tee slot? If you aren't forcing them to play quicker then you are still forcing them to play when maybe they don't want to. At some point, the issue still has to be faced.

I get your point Bob but it needs those players to accept they are a problem.
It wouldn't happen over night but I would say given the choice of teeing off at 8am and being pushed all the way round or teeing off at 3pm and having a relaxing round, they would probably opt for the 3pm tee time. All slow coaches together.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It wouldn't happen over night but I would say given the choice of teeing off at 8am and being pushed all the way round or teeing off at 3pm and having a relaxing round, they would probably opt for the 3pm tee time. All slow coaches together.
Of the slow players I've played with, they are oblivious to groups being up behind them. They have a relaxing round whatever, it's the others in their group, those behind, who have high stress levels.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Of the slow players I've played with, they are oblivious to groups being up behind them. They have a relaxing round whatever, it's the others in their group, those behind, who have high stress levels.
But if they go out last they will still have a relaxing round and nobody else is affected

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
#25, they are oblivious in my experience 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Anyway, we've probably reached the point of going around in circles so I'll leave it now. I do get your point though.
I've seen/heard complaints about slow play for decades and if anything, its getting worse not better.
However, I never heard Gebrselassie or Paula Radcliffe complain about being held up by a stuffed crocodile

D

Deleted member 15344

They can collect the cards in the morning

What about the comps that need to be sorted on the day

Can you explain why it’s so bad to ask golfers to keep up with the group in front of them ?

For 99.9% of golfers is physically possible to do that - the others are able to with the use of the buggy

The people that can’t keep are the ones that are just slow players because of their actions and the way they go around the course , trolley management , elongated psr, not playing ready golf etc

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Exactly which is why the slower players should be ''encouraged'' to tee off last so there is no one behind them

I am reminded of one of the slowest players I know (sadly I often get to play with him).

He always puts his name forward for interclub matches. Last year he asked the the organisers why he was always put out last. His reputation is such that even the players from the other clubs talk about him.

We keep trying to speed him up but he keeps slipping back to his old ways . His fundamental problems being he is never ready when it his turn to play, he has the longest pre-shot routine of any player I have ever known, he will hardly ever play ready golf, he always wants to play last so he can see what everybody else does then starts his routine, he lasers every single shot (except for putts) even when his only about 20 yards from the green and even when he has one foot on the 100 yards distance marker. If I use my laser I will give him the yardage but he still takes his own out and measures for himself.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I am reminded of one of the slowest players I know (sadly I often get to play with him).

He always puts his name forward for interclub matches. Last year he asked the the organisers why he was always put out last. His reputation is such that even the players from the other clubs talk about him.

We keep trying to speed him up but he keeps slipping back to his old ways . His fundamental problems being he is never ready when it his turn to play, he has the longest pre-shot routine of any player I have ever known, he will hardly ever play ready golf, he always wants to play last so he can see what everybody else does then starts his routine, he lasers every single shot (except for putts) even when his only about 20 yards from the green and even when he has one foot on the 100 yards distance marker. If I use my laser I will give him the yardage but he still takes his own out and measures for himself.
I'm reminded of a line that a buddy of mine used when an undesireable club member rushed out to the first tee to join my buddy's group - "It's ok, we've already got a threesome" was the line used.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

Again, it's his choice. If he's paid his membership he should be allowed to play at his own natural pace, he shouldn't be forced to play at a speed he's not comfortable playing or to spend £15 for a buggy every week.
Obviously, if he goes out first and takes 5 hours in a comp, that will affect the whole field. If he goes out last with his fellow slow coaches, he will affect no-one.
Plus, we're only talking about a few players, maybe 2 tee times at either end. 6-8 sprinters who go out first and therefor not held up (happy) and the few slow guys out last who bimble round (happy).

For decades, mixing slow with fast players means nobody's happy and any amount of education and ready golf has had virtually no affect.
Just out of interest, to all those who say it wouldn't work, has your club tried anything similar?

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
"Can you explain why it’s so bad to ask golfers to keep up with the group in front of them ?

What’s wrong with forcing people to go around at an acceptable pace of play ?"

Make up your mind.

The whole point of keeping up with the group in front is so that you don't hold up players behind you.